Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake light problem - only lights when pull hard (Read 3 times)
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Brake light problem - only lights when pull hard
07/20/05 at 12:58:20

Okay, another problem.

My brake light works fine, but only when i pull really hard on my brake lever.  Generally with a combination of the engine slowing me, and using both brakes at the same time, i only have to slightly pull the front brakes to slow the proper amount.  

In order to get the brake light to light, i have to pull hard (basically the equivalent of an emergency stop).

Is there an adjustment I can do somewhere to fix this?

Thanks!
-Neil

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Re: Brake light problem - only lights when pull ha
Reply #1 - 07/20/05 at 13:29:46

hey your lucky i dont think my 87 came equipped with one on the lever  Grin mine only works with rear breaks but as long as thats all inspection requires i'm ok with that plus i only use front brakes when stopping fast and i use them at the same time so no worries  Wink

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 07/20/05 at 13:42:43

Don't know what year is your Savage. Look at my bike and I don't see any adjustment for the switch. Look like it a defective switch. Part # 2519574-001 on http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id...

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #3 - 07/20/05 at 13:44:41

It's an 87

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/05 at 13:45:46

das no fair how come you get one and i dont  Grin

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 07/20/05 at 13:46:54

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
das no fair how come you get one and i dont  Grin

On less thing to give you grief Grin Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/22/05 at 06:25:18

Why is this post so WIDE?  Tongue

If you have to pull that hard, then something is wrong...

The switch on your brake lever isn't adjustable but then it's hydraulic anyway...as long as the previous owner didn't remove it, it should work...unless it is broken.

The rear brake switch is hiding on the right side behind the frame down tube behind the battery.  There is an adjustment with the cable/spring actuator.  Look up under the brake pedal to make sure the brake switch cable is connected to the pedal correctly.

Also, if you changed your rear brake pedal position, or changed the brake drum linkage, this could affect the brake light operation.

It is easy to find....

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #7 - 07/22/05 at 06:34:15

Both switches work, they just don't light up when i tap them.  have to engage either brake a good bit before the light comes on.  Seems to me it should light even if i just tap the brakes.  

My riding buddies have a hard time following me, because they never know when i'm hitting the brakes (unless i hit them hard enough to engage the switch).

I'm just worried I'll get run over from behind by a cager.

I'll try adjusting the switch for the rear brake.  As long as one of them works properly, i should be good.  i always use both brakes.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/22/05 at 06:52:54

If the front switch doesn't work, it is probably electrical because there is no adjustment.  Gotta look under the lever.

If the rear only works under hard pressure, it is an adjustment.

Personally, I'd make sure that BOTH work regardless of your braking habits.  The reason is that you don't want to be sitting at a stop, holding the front lever without having your brake light on....I mean, I usually have both feet on the ground at that point.   How about you?

You not only need to be kind to your riding buddies, but you also need to watch the cages on your back.

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #9 - 07/22/05 at 07:07:39

The thing is, the front brake works, just only when i pull it hard.  I too put both feet down, at a stoplight.  I just have to pull way harder on the brake lever to get the brake light to come on than i need to in order the keep the bike from rolling (even on a hill).  

Maybe this picture will help illustrate it . . .

seems like the switch just isn't engaging at the right place.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/22/05 at 07:18:10

I understand the problem (even with the non-Savage picture)....it is just gonna be a matter of troubleshooting and repair.  The problem is there, something is not right, and that's it.

Shoot, if you gotta pull that hard, you're gonna need carpal tunnel surgery someday...

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 07/22/05 at 08:07:57

It is a simple mechanical ON-OF switch like in Your refrigerator. There are no adjustments.You can install it in a designed place and tighten it down. The most probable reason is that the internal components are coroded. Just replace the darn thing.
The same answer aplies to the other fellow that says he doesn't have one. All the Savages come with front brake light switch, unless the previous owner decided to "simplify" the design.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #12 - 07/22/05 at 10:13:30

Okay, let try the 'el cheapo' way. Since the end of the switch is plastic and you have to pull further in to get the brake light to come, try to file down the tip of that switch down slowly until you are happy with where you want it to be at. The worse can happen is you have to buy a new switch Grin and it seems light that switch is on the blink of failing soon. Good luck Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 07/22/05 at 10:31:09

You know....when I walk into an dark room but can't seem to turn on the light, I adjust my hand until it operates the switch.

But if I operate the switch and there is still no light, then I check the bulb with another lamp that I know works correctly.

And if the bulb works with the other lamp, then I check the switch....

It's a no brainer.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #14 - 07/22/05 at 11:24:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You know....when I walk into an dark room but can't seem to turn on the light, I adjust my hand until it operates the switch.

But if I operate the switch and there is still no light, then I check the bulb with another lamp that I know works correctly.

And if the bulb works with the other lamp, then I check the switch....

It's a no brainer.

Since the bulb works, then we change the switch right or doing something with it (i.e. toss it out, tinker with it,.......) Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:03:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake light problem - only lights when pull hard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.