Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Gel Seat
Reply #90 - 08/23/05 at 06:29:53

Filing a bit off is not a bad idea either.  Just make sure you leave enough for it to be bolted properly should you decide to go that route or maybe sell the seat later.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #91 - 08/23/05 at 07:23:44

Rob, have you had a chance for a long ride? looks like you folks are having to much fun - I'm about to order one myself - pillow top I think

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 08/23/05 at 08:16:17

Reel thing-
DO IT!!

(man i should get paid by oneida the way i endorse this seat Smiley Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #93 - 08/23/05 at 11:31:13

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rob, have you had a chance for a long ride? looks like you folks are having to much fun - I'm about to order one myself - pillow top I think

Not yet.  Most of what I do is my daily commute, which is between 40 and 48 miles, depending upon traffic and errands.  The pure pleasure rides I've taken lately have tended to be in the 75-120 mile round-trip range.  So far, I am quite satisfied with my seat though I will be putting the sheepskin back on it, I think.  It really reduces sweating on hot days.  For that matter, it makes the seat more comfortable on cold days too.  It just doesn't look as good, that's all.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #94 - 08/24/05 at 09:44:51

Couldn't stand it any longer - pillowtop gel on the way
now which bike needs this upgrade - should I feel sorry for my better half or my back half?  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #95 - 08/24/05 at 11:17:25

Whomever does the most riding or whomever has the least built-in padding.

Dan
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 08/26/05 at 20:08:04

Put on the Pillowtop Gelseat from Oneida yesterday.  The mod was a snap (or a mallet Wink) and boy it makes quite a difference.  My back and hands started aching after 120miles, but the fact is they probably hurt after such a distance before but my butt hurt soo much more then that I didn't notice!  Great seat, easy mod.  

That's my bit...

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #97 - 08/27/05 at 04:24:38

Well.. I decided to contiue using the gel seat to see if my first impression was short sighted. It seems that I am able to get used to the more forward push of the seat and I do have to agree, the numb-butt has not yet occured. I have not yet had the chance to go on a ride longer than 50 or so miles but I can easily feel the differance.

I am thinking of trying the seat mod to see if that helps with the problem of sitting so close to the tank. Has anyone done this with the gel seat on an S40 yet?

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #98 - 08/27/05 at 07:02:13

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Not gonna bid any higher.  Someone else is gettin' it.  I would have preferred the 2-piece version but it's discontinued and no longer available through dealers.  I may go ahead and get the S40 version and do whatever slight mod is necessary to make it fit.  Has anyone actually seen the two versions of the S40 gel seat and can reasonably describe the difference between the pillow and classic versions?

If you like the two piece seat, you might take a look at GEL TEC  (www.geltecproducts.com), they have the "Cruiser Motorcycle Cushion" that is the best gel I have seen (they make a lot of medical gel products).  The price is $89.95 and is 12" x 15" x 2" ....2" of pure gel comfort.  All that would be needed is a thin layer of memory foam.  
As a matter of fact I think I will order one.  I got some gel from them before and had planned on making a one piece seat but I think I will exchange it for the Cruiser Cushion and just do the single seat.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #99 - 08/27/05 at 10:47:00

Tony wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Well.. I decided to contiue using the gel seat to see if my first impression was short sighted. It seems that I am able to get used to the more forward push of the seat and I do have to agree, the numb-butt has not yet occured. I have not yet had the chance to go on a ride longer than 50 or so miles but I can easily feel the differance.

I am thinking of trying the seat mod to see if that helps with the problem of sitting so close to the tank. Has anyone done this with the gel seat on an S40 yet?

Yes, I had the mod in place with the stock seat and I just left it in place when I put the new gel seat on.  It helps with any of the seats that use the stock mount in front.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #100 - 08/27/05 at 10:50:56

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If you like the two piece seat, you might take a look at GEL TEC  (www.geltecproducts.com), they have the "Cruiser Motorcycle Cushion" that is the best gel I have seen (they make a lot of medical gel products).  The price is $89.95 and is 12" x 15" x 2" ....2" of pure gel comfort.  All that would be needed is a thin layer of memory foam.  
As a matter of fact I think I will order one.  I got some gel from them before and had planned on making a one piece seat but I think I will exchange it for the Cruiser Cushion and just do the single seat.

It's a great pad.  I have the leather version.  My only problem was never remembering to put it on for longer rides.  I still use it on school bleachers when my daughter's dance team competes.  If you are planning to cannibalize it to rework an existing seat, they do sell just the gel too.  It may be cheaper or you may get more for the same price.  On their Cruzer pad, the gel is actually glued/bonded to some foam already to make the pad cushier.

Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #101 - 08/27/05 at 15:07:09

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
It's a great pad.  I have the leather version.  My only problem was never remembering to put it on for longer rides.  I still use it on school bleachers when my daughter's dance team competes.  If you are planning to cannibalize it to rework an existing seat, they do sell just the gel too.  It may be cheaper or you may get more for the same price.  On their Cruzer pad, the gel is actually glued/bonded to some foam already to make the pad cushier.

Hey Rob.....I checked out the seat on their website.....Not sure how it attaches OR do you simply just lay it down on top of the existing seat???? Does it slide around? How does that work?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #102 - 08/27/05 at 19:17:28

Still Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hey Rob.....I checked out the seat on their website.....Not sure how it attaches OR do you simply just lay it down on top of the existing seat???? Does it slide around? How does that work?

It's not a seat; it's a seatpad.  It has velcro sewn onto the underside and comes with a strap you belt onto your existing seat.  It seemed to stay put pretty well, but I also had my sheepskin over it most of the time when I remembered to use it.  It's shaped more like a police saddle but works fine on the stock seat.  It's very comfortable... as long as you remember to take it with you.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 07:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gel Seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.