Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
problem with engine stoping (Read 3 times)
dano
Ex Member

problem with engine stoping
07/16/05 at 17:00:18

Hi all,

I have been reading for some time, well since I bought a 96 Savage from a guy about a mile from my house.  I had no experience at the time and now have about 600 miles under my belt.  I jhave had the Savage for about 3 months and this is my first post.

Anyway, to get to the point...  On 3 occasions, as I come to a stop  

((all 3 times I was stoping to get off the bike  --  i.e. not a red light, stop sign or slow car- uh- oh yeah, cage - but rather at home or a friends house or a sevice station))

the engine turns off. Blam.  And it will not start back up.  Sometimes the horn and lights work and sometimes not.  This even happened after I started using a battery keeper upper or whatever (purchased at sears for motorcycle)  and the levels are good in the battery.  This is a fairly uncommon occurance, but happens aften enough that I do not like it.  I can clutch start it usually.  After a clutch start, everything goes back to normal  turn engine off and restarts fine.  Durring the mysterious occurances, I did check to see the kill switch was not off and that kick stand was up and that the clutch was in.  

Anyone have any ideas or heard of this before?

Much thanks,

Danny

PS  The engine turns off while I am still riding with the brakes on.  Around 30 MPH.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: problem with engine stoping
Reply #1 - 07/17/05 at 03:50:04

From a distance it looks like an electrical problem, there's a loose ( or intermittend) connection somewhere.
Think you figured that out for your self allready.

The intermittend connection i had was  in the wirebundle from the ignitionswitch. This goes over the frame tube and the seat sits on top of that. I opened up the bundle and found a bad connection.

Further trouble shooting I suggest is : start the engine and wiggle the following Savage weak points: Clutch swith, sidestandswitch, under the LH side cover the central mass connection, wirebundle of the ignitionswicth and anything else you see with the seat taken off.

Good luck
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/05 at 04:25:56

Thanks very much.

I will investigate ASAP.  I am riding the Savage to church this morning (seems like the only time I get a chance to ride) and we are perpetually running behind on Sunday mornings.  Here's hoping it does not glitch today!

Danny

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/17/05 at 08:07:44

Dano wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
 I can clutch start it usually.  After a clutch start, everything goes back to normal  turn engine off and restarts fine.  
Much thanks,

Danny

PS  The engine turns off while I am still riding with the brakes on.  Around 30 MPH.

There's your key.  The engine starts without the starter circuit being energized...so the problem is in that area.

As Kropatchek, there is a short which may easily be an interlock switch that is poorly or incorrectly adjusted.  I'd inspect those switches...

IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/27/05 at 20:42:55

Hi all,

I checked the wiring harnesses under seat and all are seated well.  I was riding the other day.  Left out about 9 am and returned around 6 pm (not riding the whole time).  About a mile from home, I was stoping at a stop sign and the engine died.  She would not clutch start so I asked at the closest house and a guy jumped her.  The bike would start with jump, but would die when cables were removed.  I had my wife bring over the battery keeper and after 2 hrs I rode the bike home.  

These episodes seem to always happen after extended riding/stopping/riding (3-8 hours).

So something is draining the battery.  it always dies while stopping.  Short in brake wiring?  I used the Clymers to thest battery and alternator.  Battery test yielded only 11-12 volts DC, but the alternator yielded 100+ volts AC. I did not use a tach, but I think I got the general idea.  While reving engine: 1) the battery current remained constant 2) the alternator current rose in proportion to the RPM's and reached 100+ with all three combinations between the yellow wires.

So- Alternator is good, but something is draining power?  Am I on the right path?  Do I now have to go thru all the wires and find the short or whatever?  Am I in for a month long ordeal here?

Sorry for the choppy post.  It is late and I am tired Tongue.

Thanks for any input,

Danny

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 07/27/05 at 21:22:59

feels like a bad battery..    there only about 20 bucks   replace it

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/28/05 at 00:27:49

I doubt you'll get as lucky as me but I had a similar problem except my bike didn't actually die.  My lights would dim frequently.  I usually had to push start it.  Sometimes I would go to crank it and all the lights would shut out.  

I figured I had messed something up installing new blinkers.  Or messed it up in the rain I rode in first thing.  Turns out I simply didn't get the neg lead I think, tightened on well enough and it became loose.  The one under the ignition side cover.  Good luck.  I would have been screwed if it had been much more than that.

IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/28/05 at 21:38:36

Thanks guys,

I have been told to replace the battery and see what happens (the guy who boosted me).  At first I did not want to ruin another battery, but it sure seems a lot easier than shooting in the dark with all those wires.  I will replace the battery and report the results when they are apparent.  

BTW, does everyone here use maintence free batteries?  I plan to buy one.  I currently have the other type (came with the bike).  Oh, I will search older posts to see if this has already been covered.

Thanks again,
Danny

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/28/05 at 22:23:47

I sell maintenance free batteries. For the most part, it's a normal battery with no vent, and a cap strip that doesn't come off after the initial installation. They bite. Himura, GS, and some other knock-off.

Get a dry-cell Dynobatt. Or the red one made in Oregon, think it's called an Odyssey.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/30/05 at 07:30:36

Thanks WD.

Is "they bite" a compliment or discreditation?

Sorry for the air in my head.
Danny

IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/30/05 at 07:34:55

I have new information.

I have not replaced the battery yet.  We have all been working hard to prepare for my daughter's birthday party (today).

The brake light was working but the running portion/tail light was not.  I replaved the bulb wit an 1157.  I was testing and the running portion burns now, BUT the brake light only comes on/brightens with the rear/pedal brake.  When I squeeze the front brake lever the brake light does not brighten.  Ahh HAH!  

Is this my problem?  Just check the front brake wiring for a short?  Thanks

Danny

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/30/05 at 10:08:46

Sounds like WD doesn't like the maintenance free batteries.  He's a guy who'd know.

You've got a problem with the front brake switch or wiring, but that's probably not why the engine is stalling.  Sorry 'bout that - now you've got two problems to chase.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/30/05 at 11:00:06

I have had the Odyssey dry cell batt for 3 years now and it has worked great.  It has a lot of power to spin the cylinder...it is made to spin 2 cylinders so no problem there.  You can mount it anywhere too, even upsidedown if you want, so that is another good deal.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 07/30/05 at 11:37:16

Dano wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Is "they bite" a compliment or discreditation?

i would say discreditation or worse.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/30/05 at 15:02:27

Thanks everyone for the help .  

Sounds like the battery issue is debatable.

One of the "plugs" on the right handle was disconnected and hanging loose.  I pluged it in and now the brake light works fine.

Danny

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 12:36:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › problem with engine stoping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.