Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
push start question (Read 12 times)
ethan

push start question
07/13/05 at 18:57:22

OK, so I left my key on last night. My gf's truck is in the shop, so she is using mine. The bike is my only tranportation and the battery is dead. I do not have a battery charger and no time to go get one.

I tried to push start it.
I have it in 2nd or 3rd.
It seems to get a very little puff out when I push it slowly then it dies and then the tires lock up.
If I push it faster it just skids.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: push start question
Reply #1 - 07/13/05 at 19:08:12

Been there, done that.

You can pull the battery partly out and jump start it from a car battery with automotive jumper cables.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 07/13/05 at 19:25:22

the key is to get the machine in 3rd or 4th,  then roll it backwards till it wont roll any more,  then push forward pop clutch, don't forget kill switch.

i always leave my light on in the middle of nowhere. nobody to jump me.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 07/13/05 at 19:29:25

if you can't get a jump - try 4th or 5th and push the start switch at the same time as jump on it and pop the clutch - maybe you have enough battery left to open the valves

*sluggos sounds like the hand of much experence at this - good advice *

IP Logged
ethan

Reply #4 - 07/13/05 at 21:10:43

thanks everyone.
i got it. that totally sucked. not only was it hard to pop, but it was cold. so i had to try more times than i can count until i was about to give up and it started almost starting.
now i just have to hope it will hold a charge until morning. so i dont have to do it again just to get to work.

I tried to jump it from a car battery. The info i got way to not turn the car on. this did not work.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #5 - 07/13/05 at 21:34:52

ethan: you didn't have solid connections to battery, 12 volts is 12 volts, that WILL work. and yes, DO NOT have jumper vehicle running. diesel

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/13/05 at 22:31:56

I jump start bikes all the time. Use a LONG insulated screwdriver in the positive screw. Attach the cable to that. Attach the negative lead to the engine (anywhere other than the starter housing. Works every time if the bike has a good starter relay.

I've never manged to pop start the Savage.  Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ethan

Reply #7 - 07/14/05 at 11:52:46

battery doesnt hold a charge. total bummer.
luckily gf's truck is done and now we just need to pick it up.
looks like i will be working on the bike this weekend.

good tip with the screw driver. i will try that next time.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 07/14/05 at 20:27:37

I've pull-started the Savage with my Honda 200x 3-wheeler before.  Got to put the Savage in 4th or 3rd to get things rotating without sliding the rear tire.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 07/15/05 at 06:43:37

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
the key is to get the machine in 3rd or 4th,  then roll it backwards till it wont roll any more,  then push forward pop clutch, don't forget kill switch.

i always leave my light on in the middle of nowhere. nobody to jump me.

Hmmm...

I know that you do this to find TDC, but it's not a good idea to push it backwards, because of the starter clutch.  We talked about that in another topic.

I have popped mine in 2nd using the assistance of gravity and a slight down hill grade.

IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/16/05 at 20:43:52

I have clutch started my savage every time IF it has been running recently. One time I tried it cold about 25 times (iI am not kidding - probably more but thats just embarassing) and it would not budge.  I guess cannot choke and clutch start together.  Anyway, after that incedent, I bought one of those battery keeper upper thing-a-ma-bobs.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 07/16/05 at 21:52:11

Dano wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I have clutch started my savage every time IF it has been running recently. One time I tried it cold about 25 times (iI am not kidding - probably more but thats just embarassing) and it would not budge.  I guess cannot choke and clutch start together.  Anyway, after that incedent, I bought one of those battery keeper upper thing-a-ma-bobs.

You are right.  A cold thumper can be a bear, but luckily ours is a little light on the compression ratio compared to some.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/17/05 at 08:34:12

I've been push starting mine for the last week.  Never takes more than two tries.  Keys are 2nd gear.  Pull the bike back.  Grippy surface with a slight downhill.  Drop down on the bike when you pop the clutch.  I'm just a little dude of about 150 so if I can do it you can to.  

What was the discussion about it being bad to pull the bike back?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 07/18/05 at 13:28:57

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I've been push starting mine for the last week.  Never takes more than two tries.  Keys are 2nd gear.  Pull the bike back.  Grippy surface with a slight downhill.  Drop down on the bike when you pop the clutch.  I'm just a little dude of about 150 so if I can do it you can to.  

What was the discussion about it being bad to pull the bike back?

I'm over 200, so that should make it easier once I manage a graceful "drop down on the bike part" Smiley

It involves the starter gears, as we are discussing in "New Starter Design"....

IP Logged
doppelganger
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Fort Wayne, IN
Reply #14 - 07/29/05 at 21:47:36

I had my 1st experience with doing a push start today.  I was going to post a thread with some questions, but I'll just piggyback on this one.   Smiley

I turned the key the wrong way this morning, leaving the lights on, and when I came out after work, the battery had died.  I was afraid I would have to call the Suzuki dealer to come rescue me, because I wasn't sure exactly how to jump start it.  (I'm still not sure how to jump start it; I'm not even sure where the terminals are.)

I first tried push starting it by putting it in 1st gear with the clutch in, getting up as much speed as I could, then letting out the clutch.  All I did was skid to a stop, with no sound at all from the engine.

Then I tried starting in neutral, getting up as much speed as I could, and popping it into 1st without using the clutch (although I may have used the clutch out of habit; I don't remember).  This worked.  I was actually rather surprised, because I've never push started anything in my life.

So, now I have a few questions....

Did I just get lucky that it started on my 2nd attempt?  If I ever have to do this again, should I use the same technique, or one of the techniques mentioned in the previous posts?

How long does it take to recharge the battery?  My ride home is about 10 minutes, and I let it run a few minutes longer after I got home, so it probably ran about 15 minutes.  I haven't tried restarting it yet, but I'm just wondering if that is sufficient time for it to recharge.

I've tried in the past to check the solution level of the battery, but I can't see anything.  The battery is inside a chrome box, with a cutout exposing some white plastic with two red lines.  I ought to be able to see the solution level somewhere between those two lines, but it seems like the plastic is too opaque, because I can't see anything.  Does anyone else have this problem?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:29:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › push start question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.