push start question (Read 12 times)
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: push start question
Reply #15 - 07/29/05 at 22:27:55

Push starting is alot easier if you pop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd.  1st will just slide the rear tire, as you found out before you got lucky and it worked.

10-15 minutes of running should recharge the battery just fine, as long as the battery is still good.  If the bike fires up, don't worry about anything further.

However if you must worry further...

If you can't see the water level through the plastic case, through the holes in the chrome cover, then you will need to remove the battery from the chrome box and look in the top holes.  I really doubt you are low on electrolyte, but you never know till you look.

Your key opens the chrome toolbox cover, and you can see the phillips head screws for the rest.

When disconnecting the battery terminals (yes, you have to to get the battery out), remove the black negative (-) lead first.  That way no matter what you touch while removing the red positive (+) wire, you won't make a spark.

Once the batt is out, you will have to unscrew the little plastic plugs on the top and eyeball the water level.  They are yellow in this pic:

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
dano
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/30/05 at 07:27:35

I tried the screwdriver thing and it worked great!  Thanks
Danny

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #17 - 07/31/05 at 17:41:42

I suppose a set of bike jumpers should be made and thrown into my bags. I nice flexible #14 or #16 (18 might be too small?) should do the job, 6' to 10' with some good aligator clips, not too big so you don't have to remove the covers, but can still get a bite on the battery post. Sacraficing guage for portability means I will carry them vs. auto jumpers that I won't.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/06/06 at 17:53:13

so the negative terminal is on the toolbox side when you pull it off?  I am tempted to have the dealer just come over and fix it since they dropped it off with a dead battery.  I still have never seen this thing yet run, but am told it runs beautifully

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #19 - 03/06/06 at 18:44:51

dichotomous wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
so the negative terminal is on the toolbox side when you pull it off?  I am tempted to have the dealer just come over and fix it since they dropped it off with a dead battery.  I still have never seen this thing yet run, but am told it runs beautifully

I'd call for the owner of the stealership and ask him why your brand new bike not running is your problem. Of course I am a WCP. Your mileage may vary.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #20 - 03/07/06 at 04:37:44

Okay, I had this trouble back in the summer and never had difficulties getting her started in first gear after a good push down a fairly steep hill. Even if it was a cold engine.

I pushed her up this short, steep hill at our apartment complex to push start because I, too had turned the key the wrong way the day before. Backed it up to the very corner of the parking lot while in neutral and pushed with my legs at least halfway down the hill. The more speed I was carrying, the better.

I clutched and downshifted into first. I heard the trademark whine of my Zook, which I usually hear it make when I pull up to stop lights and shift to first at anything above 12-15 miles an hour. Slowly ease out the clutch, and the cylinder springs to life.

First time only got a grumble from it, but the second time (and every successive day that week) I got it on the first try. Once the cylinder started to catch, I'd let the clutch out the rest of the way and it would usually fire up. At that point, almost immediately, I'd pull the clutch again, brake to a stop, and give it some throttle to keep it alive since it was cold.

It's a combination, but starts in first gear while cold can be done without locking the rear tire. Do not "pop" the clutch. I think that's key. If you do, you're just asking for trouble. Engage the clutch like you would any other time, pulling away from a stop or traffic light, then as soon as it fires up, yank the clutch back in and give it some gas.

A brief word about charging: Many motorcycles (not sure if the Savage fits the bill, though) only charge the battery if your engine speed is above a given RPM. For instance, the old Honda CB500T didn't charge the battery unless the engine was turning 2,000 RPM or better. I'd suspect the Savage is the same, but I'm not sure as I've never seen documentation on it. Regardless, if your battery has died, it wouldn't hurt to take her out for a 50-70 mph ride on your nearest stretch of highway. It turned out my battery wouldn't hold a charge after being drained, but it was a (n)EverStart. I replaced it with the factory battery because the terminals on the EverStart didn't work well with the battery box. No problems since.

I now always remember to make sure that key's OFF instead of in P!

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 11:25:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › push start question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!