Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Proper Windshield Installation? (Read 7 times)
lcs151
Ex Member

Proper Windshield Installation?
07/12/05 at 07:02:55

I just installed a Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield on my savage. There is so many ways I could mount it, im just not sure which is correct.  Currently i have the bottom of the windshield touching the top of the headlight.  As i rode into work today i noticed less wind on my chest, but still feel quite a bit on my face/head/helmet.  Normally i dont mind wind, but my purposes for a windshield are to reduce fatigue on longER trips.  I think if i raised the shield a few inches above the light that the shield would deflect the wind ABOVE my helmet, but from the directions, it looked as if the shield should be touching the headlight.   Is this true? or can i raise the sheild upwards? If anyone has any experience with the spitfire or any other handlebar mounted shield, please help.  I just want to get the most from this windshield and I really have no idea if i have it mounted the best way. thanks!
-Lauren

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Proper Windshield Installation?
Reply #1 - 07/12/05 at 07:39:06

Hi Lauren! See this thread Good Windshield for Shorter Riders for a discussion of how to place a windshield based on your height. Regarding your Slipstreamer/handlebar mounted questions, someone else will need to weigh in as mine is fork mounted.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 07/12/05 at 07:40:00

I have a handlebar mounted windshield.  I looked up the Slipstreamer and it seems to be a near twin of my Maier.  Like yours it turned out to be a bit short when mounted right at the headlight.  I had to raise it about 2 in. to get the wind over my helmet.  Been riding with it like that for close to a year with no problems.  I keep the allen wrench in my fork bag in case I ever need it.  Something to keep in mind, once when riding in a particularly bad (I mean really bad) gusting cross wind, I had to stop and retighten the bolts that hold the mounting bars in place because I could see the windshield slipping down.  

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/12/05 at 08:58:43

Thanks! I'll try raising the shield up a few inches so that its more at "nose-level".  I just am paranoid about the legendary tank slap, and I dont want to do anything that will cause me to wreck. btw diane, how tall are you? i am 5-6.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/12/05 at 10:15:46

My Daughter & I both have Spitfire windshields, we have a 2" or so gap above the headlight, seems to work best for us there. As stated above, take something to tighten it with just in case. I've never had a problem but daughter has & it's good to be able to fix it on the road.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/12/05 at 12:14:40

Lauren:

I also have a spitfire windshield.....I had  a Memphis shades, but it dwarfs the bike,  so i purchased the spitfire in March.

I tried many angles, and heights, and find that it is impossible to get total coverage with a sport shield.  Helmet buffeting is pretty normal with these shades, but can be somewhat decreased, by trying different heights....All trial and error.

My final decision was about 2 inches over the headlight, as others suggested.

If it ever stops raining here, i will haul the bike out of the garage, and e-mail you a digital picture of it. (camera takes crapolla pics inside)

.......Although the spitfire has one of the stablest mounting systems around, and quite attractive, compared to other sport shields, may I suggest you do as follows...

The 2 little wing nuts they include with the kit, are junk. They have plastic caps (wings) on them, which you can only tighten so much, and then they snap. My windshield kept vibrating loose , (about 3 times in one week) so I kept having to tighten these....One snapped and was useless, about 50 miles into one particular drive.....Good thing I had some electrical tape, to hold it until i got home. I then purchased 2 allen bolts  from the hardware store, for about a $1.50, total, and have not had a problem since....The shield has not moved at all....

Bring your old wing bolts to the store with you, so you can match the thread...If the shield is not installed yet, bring the clamp, which makes it all that much easier to match thread....It's butt end is what holds the rods  in place so you don't have to be concerned about length..anything from a half inch, to an inch and a half will look, and work fine....You can also get the bolts in black, which matches the hardware......

Regardless of the height of the shield, try to get the tilt, pretty much the same angle as the forks...you will find less buffeting this way......Good luck, and let us know!

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 07/12/05 at 13:31:26

lcs151 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
.  I just am paranoid about the legendary tank slap, and I dont want to do anything that will cause me to wreck.  

legendary tank slap  i don't think so.   Roll Eyes you will win the lottery before you experience tank slap.

imho, tankslap is the very last thing you need to worry about. in all my riding years i've never been anywhere near it, i don't know anyone who has experienced it on the street. i've seen it on tv at the moto gp races.

what you need most to be worried about is the fact that you are invisible to cages, and need to ride accordingly.

next, there are two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who will go down.  thinking what can i do to not go down, should be replaced with what's the best thing to do when i do.

visualize in traffic the "what if's" as you ride, develop scenarios in the mind.  practice rear wheel slides, go out on a dirt bike and actually lay it down.  "chance favors the prepared".

finally don't dwell on the near misses, hit the horn, flip em off, and move along.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/13/05 at 05:42:55

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
next, there are two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who will go down.

... and a lot of us are probably in both categories...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 07/13/05 at 06:05:13

I am 5'6" also.  Longer in legs than torso.  I checked out the measurements on my Mairer windshield and it is only 14" high as compared to the 15" that I see stated on the Slipstreamer.  I suggest you just do some trial and error.  Raise it a little, ride a little and see where you need it.  I had to get the top of mine at almost eye level to get rid of the hemet buffeting.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/13/05 at 12:13:48

I sell Slipstreamers all the time. Regardless of the bike they are installed on, 2 inches above the headlight bucket, AND laid back parallel to the forks, seems to work best.

As for headshake/tankslap, been there, lived through it. I've driven my Savage through it several times. Unless you love riding at insanely high speeds for such a lightweight bike, don't worry about it.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:08:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Proper Windshield Installation?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.