Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exaust note / backfire change (Read 4 times)
Richard Amirault

Exaust note / backfire change
07/06/05 at 07:22:21

My bike has about 2600 miles on it.

After a weekend camping trip (where I ran the bike at 60 to 65 mph for a hours at a time) I noticed that the exaust note was different than before.

Now it's "sharper" than before .. more of a popping sound than a throaty sound .. AND .. the bike is now much more prone to backfire when I let off the throttle .. and those backfires are "sharper" and louder than before.

What happened?

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Exaust note / backfire change
Reply #1 - 07/06/05 at 07:27:56

Check all the connections in the exhaust system, starting with the 2 bolts that connect the header to the cylinder head.  It sounds to me like you've got one or more loose connections.  If they're loose, tighten them CAREFULLY...I don't have the torque specs, but you don't want to break one of those boys off.

You don't say if you have a factory or aftermarket muffler.  If you have an aftermarket muffler, I would look closely at the connection between the muffler and the header pipe also.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 07/06/05 at 10:35:52

And look closely at the flange that attaches the header to the engine exhaust manifold. If is turning blue around that area, you have either loose bolts or leaking gasket. I would try to retorqued them and see if it helps. If not you know what to do next (a long-drawn process just to get to the darn gasket) Embarrassed

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 07/06/05 at 11:32:36

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
...I don't have the torque specs, but you don't want to break one of those boys off...

See Torque Specs List in the technical corner.  Wink

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/06/05 at 19:34:28

Your head pipe donut gasket has likely done like mine and vaporized. When I find the size/part number, I'll put it in the technical section.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/07/05 at 08:06:15

It's also easy to get the header just slightly off-kilter and have a slight leak.  Bikebandit and RonAyers both have the gaskets.  RonAyers has typically had slightly better prices, in my experience.  However, Bikebandit now has a small discount for AMA members, so check it out.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Re: Exaust note / backfire change)
Reply #6 - 07/31/05 at 14:47:25

UPDATE:

After finally getting over to the dealer and trying to order the exahust port gasket (after all, everything else I've bought for the bike they had to order) I was surprised to see that THEY HAD THEM IN STOCK ... so I got two of 'em.

Then I got my Clymer manual and a nice day (don't have a garage to work in ) and started to loosen up the exaust to get to the gasket.

Long story short .... didn't have to use the new gasket .. one of the bolts was LOOSE holding the clamp over the pipe end onto to the cylinder!!  (I mean it was just about finger tight .. surprised it hadn't fallen out all the way)

I did remove both bolts and slid back the clamp but decided not to go any further and re-assembled everything ... bike sounds like it used to now.  The loose bolt must have caused the exaust to leak past the gasket at anything over idle .. that was the "sharp" exaust note I was hearing.

Proud of myself for finding and fixing the problem, but also somewhat foolish for not checking that first Wink

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

PS still have to deal with the handlebar 'problem'

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:58:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exaust note / backfire change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.