Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sick 86 (Read 6 times)
sick_86
Ex Member

sick 86
06/20/05 at 12:21:24

I have an 86 Savage...no exhaust or intake modifications. It has a flat spot at about 1/2 throttle where the RPM's just die. It idles OK. The plug fouls out after 2 miles and it gets wet. Been through the carb (new diaphrams). Suspect possible electrical issues. Anybody see this before?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: sick 86
Reply #1 - 06/21/05 at 05:57:21

you say new diaphrams - there's a pair - the little one on the side and the needle/slide/diaphram did you replace both of these?

float level and it's rubber valve seat all aok?

it would be worth while to eliminate the petco-ck - pull off the vac line going from the carb to the petco-ck and plug these switch the petco-ck to pri and give it go - if it's sucking gas this direction it will act about like this

IP Logged
sick_86
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/21/05 at 06:54:57

Yes, I replaced both diaphrams. As far as this vacuum line, I only have one line going from the tank (petcock) to the carb and this is the fuel line. There may have been another line there from a previous owner, but the bike ran fine for years w/o.  Where does it connect to the carb?

IP Logged
sick_86
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/05 at 06:56:37

And another thing, I didn't type "pethingy"

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/21/05 at 08:35:49

oh that's bad word editor that change petc-ock for you - anyway - there should be a a pair of lines - one fuel line the other a vac into the starboard side of the carb - the stock petco-ck does not have an off setting but unless there is vac gas is shut off on run and res but pri is a bypass for this - unless the 86 was different - I'll go check the fiche

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/21/05 at 08:39:31

Looks the same to me

IP Logged
sick_86
Ex Member

I will try Re: sick 86
Reply #6 - 06/21/05 at 09:12:13

I'll double check tonite, but I believe that I tried PRI already...and I never had a vac line going to the petcock.
I believe it's getting plenty of fuel due to the moisture on the plug. Also, I'm not sure, but the oil in the crankcase was very thin and mighta had gas in it. Why would gas drain down into the block and not just run out the overflow?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/21/05 at 09:27:26

I believe it's getting plenty of fuel as well - maybe far too much - see that's another symptom of a busted petcooc - it let fuel run back down the vac line into the intake, into the engine, soaks past the rings, and makes it's own oil - couple of folks here have gone through an engine rebuild because of this - you may have an electic issue but the fuel systems doesn't smell right to em - does the petcooc look like this one

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1113631600

if so what is plugged into the small fitting?

IP Logged
sick_86
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/21/05 at 09:57:47

Yeah, this looks like mine, only I never had it off and I never really looked at the small fitting in the back...I will tonite. I do know that my petc0ck does NOT turn the fuel totally off...slows it down a lot though. And I know that there's only one hose between the petc0ck and the carb. I'm guessing that the second hose would go between the smaller fitting on the petc0ck and the small fitting on the carb on the right side, kinda at the bottom of the carb. I know that this has a rubber plug on it (carb side).
Ya know, I ran this thing for years w/o this second hose and never had any issues. Maybe it's as simple as a worn neddle / seat valve, only I don't understand why it doesn't blow this fuel out the overflow, instead of down thru my engine.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
WRONG FORUM
Reply #9 - 06/21/05 at 11:09:17

This is another thread that belongs in the Rubber Side Down.  This forum is for technical documents only.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sick_86
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/22/05 at 08:16:14

Yeah, I have a second hose fitting on the petc0ck valve...it is not blocked off

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com