Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
service interval (Read 2 times)
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
service interval
06/29/05 at 16:01:28

The owner's manual shows 4000 miles as a point to get the whole "inspection" thing done. Is it pretty imperative to get this done? I assume they do valve adjustments, etc. at this point? Can it be put off to the 7000 mile point? I want to take care of it but don't want to waste money. (Okay, I'm so tight I squeak! Limited income in retirement does that to you.) Kiss

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Re: service interval
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 16:05:39

Also, while I'm at it, the rear tire needs to be replaced at 4500 miles. Any particular recomendations. I thought I should be able to get more than 4500. I know about the old soft rubber/good traction/short mileage vs hard rubber/poor traction/long mileage thing. But 4500???

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/29/05 at 18:46:04

short round wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Also, while I'm at it, the rear tire needs to be replaced at 4500 miles. Any particular recomendations. I thought I should be able to get more than 4500. I know about the old soft rubber/good traction/short mileage vs hard rubber/poor traction/long mileage thing. But 4500???

4500 is all i got out of my oem on a 04.

as to the rest of the question.  i change the oil twice a year, plug once, valve adjust once, and inpect all cables and moving parts regularly.  as well as retighten the bolts all around.

the valves will loosen over time so it's not as critical as when they get tight.

if you understand the basic principals of engines, and with the help of this fine group of folks, you can accomplish 98% of the stuff yourself.

why let some stoner dude who know's nothing about the bike work on it at the "shop" because it says Suzuki on the door and has a 50 dollar an hour rate.  keep track of the time you spend yourself. and use that cash to by all the fancy dancy do dads you want to put on the machine.  that and when needed you can fix the minor stuff yourself as it pops up.  much nicer that way.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 06/29/05 at 19:05:03

I never had a stock rear tire, don't know about that.

I only adjust the valves when I hear what I think is too much noise.  Other than that, same as sluggo.

What he said.  Ditto, especially about the ne'er do well at the dealership.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/29/05 at 19:32:29

Sluggo got 4500 miles on an IRC rear tire? THAT is amazing... mine was falling off the rim rotten by 2500.

As to the servicing, it's worth doing it yourself. No paid wrench is going to give it the attention you will. It's YOUR bike, it's YOUR skin, it's YOUR money... I've been a professional HD mechanic before. Good money, but the quality used on customer bikes leaves something to be desired. Oil change takes 10 minutes, you'll be charged either 30 or 60 minutes for it. Valve adjustment should take 15-30 minutes, you'll be charged for 60-90. Etc ad nauseum.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/30/05 at 11:15:48

I got 7200 miles out of my irc  rear tire Shocked.the front looks almost new

shawn

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 06/30/05 at 18:39:21

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I got 7200 miles out of my irc  rear tire Shocked.the front looks almost new

shawn

hence the statement your milage may vary.  
i ride go kart style, on or off the throttle, makes the mileage suck, burns off the tires, but, oh what fun..

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 23:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › service interval

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.