Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First ride last night. (Read 5 times)
JMAC
Ex Member

First ride last night.
06/28/05 at 05:16:12

I went for my first ride on the street last night, my first real ride on the Savage.
The purpose of the trip was to drop it off at the bike shop.
It was a little on the illegal side. The bike is insured, but not registered. I can't register it until I get is safetied and I can't get it safetied until I get it to the shop. The only way I could get it to the shop was to drive it.
Before I left I made sure all the lights worked and the brakes were behaving.
I went with my 2 friends. They were riding an old GS400 and a new(ish) GS500. And another friend followed in the car behind to take me back home.
The guys were impressed with the sound my thumper made and the riding position. They said to look at me riding it appeared very comfortable.
I was doing everything by the book, no speeding, weaving etc. But I did accelerate from a stop light 'firmly' just to see how it behaved. All I can say is torque. The
other guys said I was blowing a little black smoke on hard acceleration.
I was doing the typical rookie mistake... leaving my turn signals on a couple of times. But I had my more experienced friends around to remind me to turn them off.
The trip wasn't without event. I stalled going down a hill. The bike wouldn't bump start and wouldn't fire on the starter either.
We pulled over and let it cool down. Started in about 10 minutes. Perhaps just a new spark plug is required.  
Hopefully everything goes okay during the safety. I might need some little things. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so I am limited as to what I can do and mom and dads place (the family garage) is far away.
Speaking of mom and pop, they don't know I have my bike licence at all. I can't wait to see there faces when I go thumping in the driveway.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: First ride last night.
Reply #1 - 06/28/05 at 08:37:51

Good post jmac. Good luck with the safety and let us know how you made out. This is probably too late, but check to see that your steering head bearings are not loose, because that is one of the first thing mechanics check. They are also overly fussy about brake pads.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
JMAC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/28/05 at 10:18:37

I'll keep you posted B.W.
Someone told me the front bearing check has to be done with the front wheel off the ground and then give it a shake. Is this true? What do you have to do?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/28/05 at 12:21:50

You're correct, that is one way of checking it. Grab the lower fork legs and try and move them back and forth. There should be no perceptible movement or clicking. The bearings are held in the steering stem attached to the lower fork clamp (triple tree). The adjustment nut has notches and is located below the upper triple clamp. Tap it with a large screwdriver and a hammer. Turning it clockwise (slightly) will decrease the freeplay and get rid of any movement. You can see this nut if you stand directly in front of your bike and set your sight just above the headlight. Before you attempt to move this nut loosen up the large chrome nut on the upper triple clamp and the fork caps as well. If you have the need to tighten your bearings, do not overtighten them. Take out the freeplay only. A good way to test for correct freeplay is with the wheel off the ground,  centre your triple clamp with the handle bars and move them just left of centre. The forks should freely fall to the left with slight resistance and no interuptions. Do the same with the right side. Another thing you can test for is if your bearings are notchy. Turn the bars to the left and right and feel for any notches that may be there. What I mean by that is if the forks are moved to the left and right and they stop in what feels to be a notch (there may be a few during full rotation) your bearing races are shot and must be replaced. After saying all this I think it is fair to say the Savage does not have a history of steering bearing failure like some bikes do, but now you have some knowledge on what to look for. Feel free to ask any questions .

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 06/28/05 at 14:48:07

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Feel free to ask any questions .

or tell us stories of your riding adventures, post pictures.
have some darn fun....... and share it with all us...

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/28/05 at 18:06:00

JMAC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I went for my first ride on the street last night, my first real ride on the Savage...

It was a little on the illegal side.

Got the whole outlaw thing going on already, don'tcha?  Grin

IP Logged
JMAC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/29/05 at 04:50:56

My outlaw days are long behind me! It passed safety yesterday. Yippy Grin
Plated and insured now!
I went for a ride for a few hours last night with my buddies from work.
I made dumb mistake #1 last night. I had my wrist too high when I grabbed ahold of the throttle. So when I had my wrist in the 'normal' position it was half throttle. When I let off I was still at part throttle.... I wasn't expecting this and nearly skipped along the side of a parked truck. Duh. Angry  That won't happen again.
I am still puffing a little black smoke on hard launches. I have a new plug I will put in tonight. I bet that will make a big difference. It was a used one I put in to get it started.
It is hard to read the speedo with a full face bucket. That will take some practice.
The bike is 'wonky' in the corners. I get a little shimmy. I will check my tire pressures tonight. Is this a normal thing with bias ply tires?
Me and my buddies went to the local college, where me and the one friend took the motorcycle course. All the compound curves and things are painted in the parking lot. We were practicing them and had a laugh.
We each tried eachothers bikes out too.
Which reminds me. My brakes are terrible compaired to theirs. Should my brakes be that much worse than an '82 GS400.  The pads are brand new. Perhaps I need to bleed the system some more?!?
I guess all things considered a good experience so far. I didn't scare myself out on the road. In a few weeks when I have some more time on the bike I'll try and commute to work. For now just drive the back roads with in my comfort level.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/29/05 at 06:19:51

Our brakes are not wonderful - but have been called adequate by reviewers if used correctly - both at the same time and take it easy on the back it will skid fairly easy.

A little black smoke is aok fine - unless your going for maximum performance - it's just a tad on the rich side - this is a good thing if you value the longevity of the engine.

On the shimmy - get your tire pressure correct, might add a little more preload to the rear shock - and of course a few more hours in the seat may cure some of the shimmy   Smiley

If your commute involves some serious traffic you'll be better off to wait until the subconscious is able to normally operate the bike so you can focus on the cars that will pull out in front of you, change lanes on top of you, tailgate you, and have no idea just how fast a bike can stop - even with our only "adequate" bakes we stop far faster than the car behind us. The subconscious learns slow but learns well and make take 50 hours of short trips to get the hang of it all.

Wear your gear be safe.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 23:34:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First ride last night.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.