Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memphis Shades Pop Top? (Read 4 times)
Karen627
Ex Member

Memphis Shades Pop Top?
06/22/05 at 21:11:00

I know people like the Memphis Shades windshields in general, but I don't think I've read anything here about the Pop Top.  I'm thinking of getting the gradient black for my white s40.  (Although it's clearly labeled on the web page, I'm going to tell you it's the one on the left anyway.)

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2005MetricCatalog/0158.htm

16" high above the headlight.  (I'm about 5'4", so I don't want anything too tall -- I want to be able to see above it.)  

So I figured I'd ask for opinions, if anyone has nothing better to do and wants to kill a couple of minutes talking about a windshield.   Smiley

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Memphis Shades Pop Top?
Reply #1 - 06/22/05 at 22:09:11

Karen627

That one should be about perfect for you, I did not have the same brand of windsheild on my S40; but it is 16" above the headlight. I don't know what kind of helmet you are wearing and what your normal cruising speed is  ???

Here is what I experienced after the windshield installed:

- bike is more stable at speed above 55 mph
- no wind pressure on the chest = more relax ride at high speed  Cheesy
- however lots of wind buffering noise (earplugs will take care of that problem)
- depend on the angle of the windshield, my full face helmet shaked a lot = blurred vision(I wear glasses) Sad

But if you adjust the windshield so that you will be at the sweet spot of the buffering zone, you will have one great add-on to your bike.

I wished that you post this thread 1 week ago; I would buy that windshield (nice looking one Grin)

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/22/05 at 22:16:53

just to show the diversity of the group, here's my opinion, and it's like well you know what.

windshields belong on cages.  Shocked

never had one, never will. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do what floats your boat.

here's an example of my bobber, it's an older picture. the rear light has been repostioned

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/05 at 22:42:16

I agree.  Im not really into windscreens and ect.  Honestly, when I go really fast(75+), my bike feels kinda squirrely and wind isnt the problem.  Besides I never wanted to be in an old Chips episode, even tho I love the theme song.  Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 06/23/05 at 05:06:38

Would not have a 'screen on KLX either.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/23/05 at 06:31:55

Yeah, I have to agree that the bike looks better without a windshield but I like mine.  In my opinion, a properly adjusted windshield actually improves the handling by making the combination of rider and bike more aerodynamic.  It also reduces rider fatigue on longer rides.  Though it has the drawback of decreasing the cooling factor of the breeze in summer it also has the advantage of doing the same in winter.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/23/05 at 06:49:22

I use one in the winter, and might use it in the warm season if I were taking a long trip, otherwise I think a bike looks best with least.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/23/05 at 07:30:32

My wife had the Pop Top, I think. Looked like that or the Big Shot, blue gradient. She liked it. I'llask her to shoot you her opinions on it.

I can't stand riding with a windshield. I even pulled off the shield on my GS750T fairing.

The way I tend to ride, the bike behaves better without a windshield. Make double sure that shield is on perfectly straight. Crooked shields have a tendency to induce a hyper-violent headshake at highway speeds. And if the MSF instructors forgot to mention it, headshake or "tank slapping" by the bars at speed will most likely cause you to crash if you don't recognize what is going to take place and slow down ASAFP.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #8 - 06/23/05 at 07:55:20

I have the Memphis Shades Memphis Slims and love it. I like the fact that it is easy to put on/take off (a minute or two tops).  

If you get the windshield adjusted appropriately it really reduces the wind pressure which is nice on longer rides. If you don't get it adjusted appropriately or buy one that is too big for you, it can be painful (my hubby bought one that is too tall for him).

If I am just bombing around town or if it is super hot I often take it off as it is nice to be free in the wind. I like the option of riding both ways.

The pop top looks cool. I have the purple gradient on the Slim to go with my purple bike...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/23/05 at 08:00:45

I will agree that it gets unstable with an improperly mounted shield and it's likely worse as the shield gets larger.  As it is, mine's mounted right and is a small/medium NC shield.  Seems to work for me anyway.  Between the windshield and the trunk, I have definitely opted for utility over aesthetics on my Savage at this point.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/23/05 at 08:42:24

If you just HAVE to have a windshield, get one that is four point mounted. As in, to the bars and to the fork tubes or headlight bucket. They won't go crooked on you at higher speeds like bar only shields can.

The day I WANT a shield is the day I stop riding.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/23/05 at 10:44:54

This is the pic from the NationalCycle site but I'm pretty sure this is the shield I have.  It mounts only to the fork tubes but is pretty sturdy.

Sluggo is definitely right about diversity in the group.  I like mine and ride with it more often than not but take it off sometimes.  It takes me one allen wrench and about 10 minutes (most of which is spent getting it centered and aligned just right before tightening) to put it on; the same allen wrench and maybe 2 minutes to remove.

Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/23/05 at 18:49:39

Wow.  Thanks for the responses, everyone.   Smiley

Sluggo, I love your bike.  Even without a windshield. Wink

Susan -- I saw your bike a long time ago while lurking here (it might even have been before I bought mine).  That's what made me like the gradient color thing.  Smiley

I figure the Pop Top is small enough for me (and aesthetically it won't overwhelm the bike), and it should be easy enough to take off if I don't want it on there.  

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Crooked shields have a tendency to induce a hyper-violent headshake at highway speeds. And if the MSF instructors forgot to mention it, headshake or "tank slapping" by the bars at speed will most likely cause you to crash if you don't recognize what is going to take place and slow down ASAFP.
-WD

The MSF instructors didn't mention it.  I've heard the phrase "tank slap" before -- what does it mean, so I know to look out for it?   ???

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/23/05 at 21:50:27

Believe me, you'll notice it. Tank slap or headshake is a condition where the front end starts a side to side oscillation. If you don't get off the throttle RIGHT THEN, the bars will start to whip back and forth, close to or into the tank. At that point, start praying, you WILL crash. Usually within seconds.

Any attempt by the bike to pull from side to side means something is big time wrong. STOP. Could just be you picked up a nail in the front tire. Could be the steering stem bearings going south on you. Could be lousy pavement or a loose shield. You can't tell while you are rolling. Close the throttle and pull off the road. Use the REAR brake ONLY in case the front end is messed up. Forget the niceties like signals, get off the road and figure out what is wrong.

Watch a GP motorcycle race sometime. The bikes that highside and crash tend to tank slap before or during the wreck.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #14 - 06/27/05 at 16:56:12

I love a windshield. I'm shieldless for a while, will be getting another one.

I did have the original Suzuki one, it was just a tad too tall.

Switched to the Memphis Shades Shooter which your weblink says is same as the PopTop, but 2" shorter.

I'm just 5'0 tall and found the Shooter very good height for me, so the PopTop ought to work fine for you.

don'f forget pictures when installed. Cheesy

Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:11:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Memphis Shades Pop Top?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.