Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paladin, I've passed, now for my "Hawkeye" (Read 4 times)
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Paladin, I've passed, now for my "Hawkeye"
06/20/05 at 21:44:42

Now that I've passed the MSF, I'm ready to christen my bike.  I'm going to take your advice and scan in my artwork onto the water-slide decal paper.  New problem.  The center of the lettering in Hawkeye I want to be a metallic crimson paint.  There may even be a few highlights I want to do in gold leaf.  Obviously not available in an inkjet printer. Sad  I know I can get the paint from an automotive store and somehow mask this onto it, but at what stage should I do this?  I don't want to do this by paintbrush, because I don't want the strokes to show.  I know that to have someone do this artwork for me by airbrush would cost more than I can afford.  There has to be some way to make this look nice on my own.  Any new suggestions?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Paladin, I've passed, now for my "Hawkeye
Reply #1 - 06/21/05 at 06:24:36

Stage is an easy question -- you cannot paint first and then print as you cannot print exactly in the same position,  thus you print the decal first and then paint.  Not knowing the effect of the paint on the print, you would probably want to protect the printing with a couple of thin layers of clearcoat lacquer first.

Since you are working on the decal rather than the bike, you can have it flat so you can used thinner paint without running -- and multiple thin coats of thin paint will not show brushstrokes.

As I have not actually done any of this it is pure speculation.  On the other hand, you will be doing on the decal rather than the bike so you can do several decals until you get one that is good enough (it will never be perfect.)

If you want more than what you can get from a decal you can afford airbrush custom art if you could find someone like my 16-year-old daughter.  Fantastic artist who is her own worst critic.  She does not have an airbrush and could likely be talked into doing the artwork in exchange for an airbrush set (which is not that expensive.)  To paint a tank or fender -- replace with a spare and hand to the budding young artist.

What you need to keep in mind is that there is never just one way to do anything.

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 06/21/05 at 07:24:55

Congrats on passing.

As far as decals, people who do small scale modeling tend to have things like airbrushes and the skills to airbrush. You might try stopping by your local hobby store (a local one, not one of the big chains who carry models as sort of a side line to crafts). You don't necessarily need an "artist" more of a craftman with some skill in graphic arts. You could probably get someone to do the decals for you almost as a favor. You will have to explain the whole - this is for a real machine and doesn't have to be perfect concept though.

Last but not least, gold leaf is a completely different product than gold paint and gives a different result. I don't know, but I would expect gold leaf to be applied to the tank on top of a coated decal. If you really want the gold leaf look, you may need to contact an expert. I would also be concerned about painting the decal and then applying it to a compound surface. I'm not sure what the settling compound used to make decals conform to a compound surface would do to a painted decal.

IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/05 at 12:40:29

Thanks guys.  Some food for thought.  It's important to me that my own artwork goes on this, so I really don't want to turn it over to an airbrusher.  Does anyone know of a service where you can submit artwork and then they can perhaps turn it into a transfer? With metallic paint and all?  If all else fails, would it be smart to practice painting on one decal, but do the actual painting on the final decal after it has been adhered to the tank?

Paladin, I have seen your daughter's artwork (the "quick sketch"  sheesh!).  She's incredible.  Tell her to stop being her own worst critic.  Right now!  I started doing portraits for our town's folk at her age and made enough money by the time I graduated to go to California.  She's got a money maker at her fingertips whatever she chooses to do in life.  Pretty nice back-up.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 06/21/05 at 13:35:34

Suzuki_Sam

You indicate some artist ability in your last post and that you are OK with paint. If you have the ability to put the decal on by yourself, borrow an airgun; learn how to clearcoat and then mask off (frisket) the area you want to paint gold and do it. Practice with the airbrush on paper and then other surfaces (disposable of course). You could do some of your practice with water soluble paints (makes the clean up easier) and then "graduate" to more expensive/dangerous paints.

The reason I mention dangerous is because some(most) automotive paints you don't want to inhale use appropriate personal protection.

IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/05 at 15:19:28

I have regular artist frisket, but will this work on the metal?  Do I need to order a special tape paper that I can x-acto  out the image?  Once again, thanks for the support and advice.  I found a book on Amazon called "Automotive Cheap Tricks & Special F/X"  that I might invest in, if my practice runs don't pan out.

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #6 - 06/21/05 at 15:41:06

google custom decals, there are many places out there. Here is an example http://www.edecals.com/custom/index.html
They can get it perfect for you, it just might cost  Roll Eyes

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 06/22/05 at 05:26:58

I would suggest the stuff that is made for cutting sharp images (don't know how complicated your design is going to be). I thought the stuff was still called frisket no matter what form it came in Embarrassed

A tip that is probably in every book is to make sure that you coat the edges with clear before you paint color so the paint doesn't leech under the frisket (spray away from the edge to keep from forcing the paint under the edge.

IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/05 at 15:42:10

Oh, yeah - thanks for the reminder!  I found that one out the hard way while doing some fancy designs on my daughter's furniture! I would have forgotten, probably. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paladin, I've passed, now for my "Hawkeye"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.