Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Big K&N stealth install with IMPROVED PICS (Read 1579 times)
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Big K&N stealth install with IMPROVED PICS
06/13/05 at 20:25:28

Redneck strikes again!  Sorry I've been away from the board for a few days, more on that at the bottom of this post.

I needed a BIG K&N to match the 38mm Amal Mark2 carb - BUT - I wanted to retain the stock appearance of the side covers.  I wound up keeping the stock battery location, too!  

The K&N R-1380 is BIG for the bike.  It's for a small tuner car - 2-7/16 inlet, 5.5" diameter at the big end, 4.5" diameter at the small end, 4" long filter media. Seemed just right, and I bought it cheap on ebay.  It fits over the coupling end of a 2.5" PVC pipe, but it's a tight fit.  And what do you know - the stock airbox boot, which I turned around to match the AMAL, fits over a 2.5" PVC pipe!  Off to Lowes I went, and picked up a 2.5" diameter PVC sweep 90 fitting, plus a smaller brass elbow for the crankcase vent.  Near perfect fit!

This air filter, combined with the Screamin'Eagle, are a perfect match to the 38mm Amal Mk2 ala Lancer.  Plenty power, and way more speed than I want now.  Email me if you want the needle position, screw settings, etc.

Here's what I rigged up:

With labels.  I painted the fittings black of course.  Should have left them white & brass for clarity in the pix:

No labels:

Zoomed and brightened, man I should have left the parts white for photo-taking.  Here you can see the smooth sweep of the PVC fitting:

Closeup of crankcase vent fitting (brass elbow threaded and glued into the PVC sweep 90)

View from top:

Side end of stock airbox, sliced off with bandsaw, fastened by the stock bolt at the top and self-tapping sheet metal screw to the frame (thru rubber bushing) on the rear side of the cover - lots of trimming was required to fit this without crowding the K&N.  

I know, low light and black parts are hard to see but you can make it out.  The other side is nearly identical, drilled out for ventilation except for the stock sparky box location.

Can you see a BIG K&N in there?

Sorry I've been away for awhile, got another project car...Not part of the K&N install, but fyi - '70 Dodge Charger:

Enjoy bike mods the redneck way!

Better pics, any size you want, at:  http://photobucket.com/albums/y114/bobo383/

Let me know if you can't make the photos work - I'll email them.  Maybe even take some in the daytime!

« Last Edit: 12/11/12 at 22:38:37 by verslagen1 »  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Re: Big K&N stealth install with IMPROVED PICS
Reply #1 - 06/15/05 at 13:21:04

Realy nice mod youve come up with  8) I migt consider making it myself  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/17/05 at 16:40:05

I have to admit, that is a cool way to fit that in there.

How difficult will it be to take it out for cleaning?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 06/18/05 at 05:55:54

It comes out the other (left) side, after removing the cover and airbox end.  Certainly not as easy as the stock filter, or yours, but I was after the stock look.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/18/05 at 07:41:20

I understand the "stock look" since my spouse won't let me "fix" her bike  Tongue

Anyway, you found a really unique way to put the K&N in there and maintain the stock side covers and ignition module mount.  Good job.  Not bad at all for a Redneck.... 8)

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/05 at 14:32:56

How would the carb that lancer is selling work in that application. If i left it as pictured would i have to remove the stock look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4556219349...

I really need to get a carb as soon as possible  or adjust mine. I put the screaming eagle pipe on thanks to bobo's help Cheesy man that thing is loud. i love it. except the pipe i had didn't have the tab so i didn't drill it in i just used the car clamp and that seems to be holding very well. plus the bracket is broken i need to pull it off but it bolts in on both sides and i have to get the belt cover off to get to the bold and have been to lazy. Anyway my pipe is blueing massively and when the bike shuts off it backfires a pretty blue flame (not good) lots of backfire on high rpms too. Bobo will you email the carb specs i'm prolly gonna be getting that carb next week or so.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/22/05 at 17:33:56

Unless Bobo did this set of pics before he bought the Amal Mk2, that is the carb Lancer is selling.  You can eliminate a lot of the backfiring by doing the white spacer mod, increasing the main jet size, adjusting the idle mixture screw and ensuring you don't have any exhaust leaks - especially where the header joins the cylinder head.  Believe me, the exhaust leaks will cause some wicked backfiring.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/22/05 at 20:29:13

thanks for the info. i know its the same carb according to bobo that carb should get rid of the backfire and make it run smoother but what i ment was that if the filter application would work. Lancer actually had two auctions one with and with out the filter i was interested in the one with all the accessories  but i what i was wonder if that filter would work in the same way bobo did so i can keep the stock covers.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 06/25/05 at 04:19:46

Sorry for being away for a few days.  Yes, the carb in the pics on this post is the 38mm Amal Mk2 I got from Lancer.  Really woke the bike up, I think.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #9 - 07/08/05 at 22:04:08

Great Job!!
Do you need to keep the airbox? Would seem like it would breathe even better, Or is there a way to keep the stock side covers without the airbox, also will this mod work with the stock carb?
Thanks
Ike Smiley

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/09/05 at 07:40:56

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Great Job!!
Do you need to keep the airbox? Would seem like it would breathe even better, Or is there a way to keep the stock side covers without the airbox, also will this mod work with the stock carb?
Thanks
Ike Smiley

Well, the real issue is that if you remove the airbox, you also remove the mounting points for the side covers and the ignition module.....it would require some additional fabrication to reinstall those items.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #11 - 07/11/05 at 16:43:43

Greg is right.  I used my bandsaw to saw off the "ends" of my airbox and fabbed the bottom mounts to the frame for them.  The top mounts work like stock, with the stock bolts in the stock locations.  This way, I had my original mounting spots for the spark box and side plates.

Here's the part of the airbox I did NOT use:

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 07/15/05 at 11:22:27

Gotta love it  Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/23/06 at 05:51:42

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
thanks for the info. i know its the same carb according to bobo that carb should get rid of the backfire and make it run smoother but what i ment was that if the filter application would work. Lancer actually had two auctions one with and with out the filter i was interested in the one with all the accessories  but i what i was wonder if that filter would work in the same way bobo did so i can keep the stock covers.

NOTE

The carb kits offered now contain the Mikuni 36mm VM carb.  The Amals that I had sold out the end of last year.
The Amals worked out really well for the Savage (a virtual drop-in), and were very inexpensive.  The Mikuni's cost more & require more jetting/tuning to get them just right, but they also have more/better parts availability.
I just have the one kit, but will work with folks from this site if they need a less expensive basic setup to get their bike running.   I hate to see a bike just sitting in the driveway for lack of a few $$ to get it going.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/23/06 at 05:57:16

I just noticed the "Redneck Engineer" in the reflection of the  chrome cover ... it is good to SEE you there BOBO!!    Grin Grin

By the way, VERY NICE WORK there dude! Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:39:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big K&N stealth install with IMPROVED PICS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.