Hello Newbie here! ;-) (Read 2 times)
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Hello Newbie here! ;-)
06/03/05 at 17:49:24

Hey all,  I have been one of those lurkers for a few days!! hee hee  I am a new rider and love my s40 (pearl white).  We have become friends rather quickly, even after she dumped once!! But of course it wasn't really her fault, all mine I take the blame Wink  I felt horrible that the peg, mirror and tail light took a beating.  Nothing that couldn't be quickly fixed. And back we went slowly at first and now back to learning the ropes!!  I have found all your tips very helpful and I know I will be getting that modulating brake light ASAP.  Quickly learning all those visibility tricks and how much fun it can be to make her look pretty.  Good riding everyone.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Re: Hello Newbie here! ;-)
Reply #1 - 06/03/05 at 18:44:07

Welcome.  Well, at least now you don't have to deal with that 'first scratch on the bike' paranoia.  Wink  So go back out and have fun!

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 06/03/05 at 18:46:25

Welcome to the Savage club! Glad you came out of hiding!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/03/05 at 19:58:26

Soooo, you've been sneeking around behind the scenes eh?

Welcome to the Savage home.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #4 - 06/03/05 at 20:04:07

It happens take something from the experience and it was well worth it. That little spill today may save you from a bigger one tomorrow. Besides it give the bike character. These bikes are not show room art they are for the doers of the bunch.  8) 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/03/05 at 21:53:05

Welcome! Smiley

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 06/04/05 at 01:56:50

Hi Paula! Welcome to the BEST community on the internet. IMHO, the pearl white S40 is one of the best lookin' Bikes on the market today ... congrats! Sorry to hear about your dump ... glad you and Bike came out of it relatively unscathed.
Where you hail from ... love to know where all the members here call home (I'm a HUGE geography buff ...  Roll Eyes).
Gotta run ... it's 6:25am here in Nfld. ... time to get ready to take the wife's car to the shop and then it's off to the local Harley Stealer for their annual demo-ride day ... gonna try out a Sporster 883L ... will post my impressions later!
Take Care and Ride Safe!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #7 - 06/04/05 at 09:08:55

hello paula and

[glow=red,2,300]WELCOME [/glow]

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/05 at 17:39:11

Hey Paula, and welcome!  The Pearl White S40 is a beauty.  Congrats on a great choice.  I saw one up close for the first time today at a rally.  Really nice bike!  It was nice to have a Thumper for hubby to park "MY" 03 Savage beside.

Don't feel bad about dumping her.  She'll still love you.  I dropped my poor baby the very second day I had her...then I dropped her AGAIN the day after that.  We have an understanding now.  She knows I'm an idiot and I know she's a dream.

IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/04/05 at 18:01:20

Welcome to the group.  Savages are great bikes.  Knock on wood, I haven't dropped mine yet.  I've come close once in the garage.  But I called my daughter on my cell phone and had her come out and help me get it upright!

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #10 - 06/04/05 at 20:35:51

Smiley   Thank you all for the welcome.

PerrydaSavage, I hail from western Ohio, USA.  I seen those pics you posted of Newfoundland. just beautiful!!
How was your visit to the demo ride? Sportster pass your inspection?

Bluejeanz,   A dream is right!! Every day I wonder what I did without her!!  Hey and do not eat to much glue!!

Jenny,  Cell phones are wonderful are they not?  

Mike, definetely got character, glued the tail light back into position, bought a new one, but decided to wait a bit before putting the new one on, just in case!!

Sam, yep over one paranoia and on to conquering the next leaning into those turns!!!  I am probably leaning more than I think, just need to trust those tires huh?

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/04/05 at 22:18:36

You can drag the pegs long enough to grind off the bottom edges without major worries. Bike leans MUCH better to the left than the right with that monstrous muffler.

Welcome to the "funny farm".  Wink

Don't sweat dropping the bike. It happens. I've been riding for 18 years, still drop bikes occasionally. Good excuse to add sucked in signals and under fender tail light...

Have fun.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 06/05/05 at 07:48:54

Welcome to the group !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 06/05/05 at 08:19:46

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
....Sam, yep over one paranoia and on to conquering the next leaning into those turns!!!  I am probably leaning more than I think, just need to trust those tires huh?

In normal riding you are not supposed to lean at all.  You are suposed to remain sitting upright on the bike.  The whole thing, you and the bike, will lean in a turn to the extent needed to counter centrifugal force -- but you do not lean in relationship to the bike.

You can realize this if you wish.  I did this once, the first time I read about counterstearing, and my reaction was "darn!  It really works that way!"

Find a place where you can corner without worry of road/traffic conditions, where you can pay attention to what you are doing rather than the world about you.  While riding with your attention straight ahead and concentrating on the handlebars, initiate a turn by a countersteer.   Do not look into the turn, keep your attention of straight ahead and upright in relation to the bike.  You will remain upright, the handlebars do remain in a straight ahead position.  It is the world about you that will lean and turn.

You and the motorcycle are the center of the universe.  You do not move or lean.  It is the universe that moves under you and leans away from you.

The exceptions are at the extremes -- in very low speed turns you shift your body away from the turn so that the bike may lean more.  In very high speed turns you shift your weight to the inside of the turn and scrape knees and elbows so that the bike may remain more upright.  

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/05/05 at 08:23:32

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
You and the motorcycle are the center of the universe.  You do not move or lean.  It is the universe that moves under you and leans away from you.

I want some of what you're having  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 17:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello Newbie here! ;-)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.