Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer noise? (Read 10 times)
650-rider

Speedometer noise?
06/02/05 at 12:44:28

Has anyone experienced a vibration noise in the area of the speedometer housing?  I don't know for sure that it is the speedometer, but when I touch the speedo housing the noise stops.  I searched the site here but did not find any mention of this problem.

The bike is a 2002 with 1300 miles.  Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Speedometer noise?
Reply #1 - 06/02/05 at 13:09:07

Hi 650-Rider;

I sweared that I saw someone asked that question on this forum before. I couldn't find it either. But it seems that some of the mounting on the speedometer are loose because of the vibration from the engine. To tighten them up, you HAVE TO REMOVE THE TANK to get to them. Undecided

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/02/05 at 13:22:16

That's right, you have to remove the tank and then look at this picture:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/speedometer_e28/speedometer_e28.cfm?ma...

The speedometer is held in place with 3 times the little gadgets on the left, rubber thingy, angled bracket, spring etc.

The rubber gets hard and the springs get rust. Disassemble one by one, lubricate the springs and beef up the rubber a bit with a piece of rubber from a bicycle inner tube.

Squeeze some lubricant in the angled drive while you'r at it.

Note: Don't loose the rubber seal at the bottom of the speedocable!

Worked for me , have no more speedorattle anymore.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Clark

Reply #3 - 06/02/05 at 14:18:27

I tried to tighten the three nuts on mine while I had the tank off for the first carb mod attempt.  The bolts going into the speedometer seemed to twist the plastic housing so bad I was afraid of breaking the housing before the threads came loose.  

What I did instead was to place three plastic spacers between the speedometer/rubber gasket and the tank on the top side.  (top two corners and center bottom)This lifted the speedometer up engough to clean underneath and to place a good bead of black RTV sealant under the speeometer and up against the tank lip.  I then removed the spacers and cleaned the sealant that squished out (most squished to the inside.) I thought this would act as a cushion and bind the speedometer to the tank.  If touching the speedometer while the bike is moveing takes the sound way, I thought the squeaking was coming from the speedometer moving relative to the metal tank.

So far it has worked after 3 months and 2000 miles.

Clark

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/02/05 at 14:24:06

I did most of what Kropatchek advises.  I basically lubed the springs, tightened the nuts as far as they'd go, and sprayed some silicone lube under the rubber gasket.  It seems to work so far.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 06/02/05 at 17:41:18

I gotta re-do mine, or run the exhaust closer to my ears.

I leather-gasketed my speedo on the inside (not visible after install) to keep the speedo from rattling against the sides & top of the hole in the tank.  Worked for 4 months, but it's started rattling again.

I also have a major thumpin' in my right mirror, like there's something loose inside there.

I kind of quit worrying about any of it, though...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/02/05 at 18:24:14

I have a pair of mirrors in the garage I pulled off - sounds and feels like it has a rock in there that came lose - things must weight a pound - had to replace them as it got so bad I could've thrown a rod and not knew it till the engine locked!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 06/03/05 at 15:10:51

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Note: Don't loose the rubber seal at the bottom of the speedocable!

Worked for me , have no more speedorattle anymore.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Grin

If you DO loose the stock seal, get a neoprene o-ring of about 7/16" x 1/8" in size at the local hardware store.  We lost 2 at once in our garage, and these o-ring replacements are now 2 years old, never fall out, and real cheap.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 01/29/06 at 08:56:34

Interesting site with speedo pictures:
http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/speedo.htm

FWIIW

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 01/29/06 at 10:18:52

650-rider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Has anyone experienced a vibration noise in the area of the speedometer housing?  I don't know for sure that it is the speedometer, but when I touch the speedo housing the noise stops.  I searched the site here but did not find any mention of this problem.

The bike is a 2002 with 1300 miles.  Thanks for your help.

FWIW, I had the same vibe in mine.  The last time I torqued the head bolts, I had the tank off.  I noticed that, if I looked at the underside of the tank, that paint had worn off near the front, underside of the tank.  It looked as if the cables that were routed through there were contacting this portion of the tank.  I surmised that this was perhaps what was causing the noise I was hearing from the tank area.

So, I wrapped a fair amount of electrical tape around both the clutch and throttle cable housings where they pass through the area I saw the paint rubbing.

End of problem (KOW).  Fix has been in place only 300 miles, though.  YMMV.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:54:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer noise?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.