Send Topic Print
Savage mods (Read 3030 times)
Willaction
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage mods
Reply #30 - 02/21/18 at 12:48:07

I have a 1996. When i bought it the bike would die on me at 50 mph. And would always backfire super loud after a ride.So far ive done all these things and its running better than ever.

Got to the air fuel mixture screw and adjusted , jetted the carb, dealed with the white spacer on the needle (removed), installed a harley muffler(#65842-07) on it, and replaced the petcock to a raptor 660 with a in line fuel filter, pretty much solved all the issues inclucing the backfiring.
Post some pics man!

1519246368393-1962167018.jpg
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #31 - 05/13/18 at 09:11:52

This is the first season with my 2008 s40.  It's my second Savage, so now it's time to do all those mods again!   I did the raptor petcock last week and am going to do the seat lift this week.  Here is a pic of the bolts and #8 rubber stoppers that I bought last time.  Lucky for me I have a habit of ordering 2 sets of stuff if it's cheap.  I liked the seat mod in my 97 Savage, and am looking forward to it this one.  The seat on the 2008 is more cozy than the 97 right off the start

Http:/www.palickar.com/fileshare/liftkit.jpg
Crap gotta look up how to post inline imag s here...  I can't see why the yabb I'm going tag isn't working...

2008 S40
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #32 - 05/14/18 at 06:12:51

I will be picking a few of these up this week

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-in-Cotterless-Hitch-Pin/3012937

I took the warning sticker off the gas tank, the forum was right on.  Warmed it up with a heat gun, it peeled right off. wd40 took off the glue with a soft plastic scraper.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #33 - 05/15/18 at 03:35:34

My mods so far have been for style and ergonomics. I pushed the style thing, but had to make concessions to get the ride right. I think I'm finished with that side of things ... I think ... pretty sure! :

Dyna muff and stock air filter - Perfect. Louder and deeper, but still cool to start her up at 5am

Re-jetted accordingly - that was a really good education!

Yamaha Raptor Fuel Tap - Do yourself a favour!

Modified stock seat - This involved moving the rectifier (to the tool box, and drilling a hole in the bottom of the tool box cover to allow air-flow). I took a bit off the height of the driver's seat, lowered the pillion, cut the angle off between front and back, and shaped the front so my legs can relax out front. The seat now allows me some wriggle room, forward and back. And some shimmy room, left and right (Thank you MShipley for the seat to experiment with). Then I got it professionally covered - probably the best $150 I've spent.

Tail Light - Ditched the stock tail light and went with an LED (DOT rated) cat eye tail light under the rear fender. Also replaced the flasher relay with an electronic version that supports halogen and LED lights.

Turn Signals - switched to 'bullet style' turn signals. They are halogen and DOT rated (don't buy cheap LEDs ... I did initially!). Front signals are mounted on P Clamps sourced locally (You have to drop the forks to get the stock brackets off). The rear ones are mounted on a bracket I made to sit on the license plate bracket. I initially bent some aluminium to make a bracket but it failed! Then I welded one from mild steel and painted it with chrome paint. It vibrates a lot back there at the rear fender. I had to silicon around the globes on the rear because they vibrated off their little mounts inside the housing ... so far, so good.

Handle Bars - I started with wider drag bars, then I made custom risers from aluminium rod - However I was concerned about using bolts that were 40mm longer than spec at the same diameter, and I had to grind the hex head to fit into the clamps - metallurgy anyone?  So, I switched to the old-style clamps/risers (thank you Lancer) and Triumph Superbars (Very good, Look great! ... but not quite right). Then finally settled on Z Bars with a 6" rise - spot on!

Forward Controls - I ran with a set of Ed L's 4" forward controls. I polished them up and modified the shape a little. They're a great product, and I liked them ... but ... I was trying to find a happy medium for various riding styles, and they weren't quite for me. It's fun to ride with feet out front, but ultimately (I found out) I want a more dynamic experience (says the guy riding a 650 cruiser!!)

Rear Fender - I ditched the chrome "eyebrows". The holes bugged me, and I wanted at least some storage capacity. I fitted eye-bolts to the fender to act as tie-down points, and I got a weather proof bag with D-Rings. That worked out really well. That just leaves me two bolt-holes near that seat that have rubber grommets in them - maybe a little badge? Oh yeah, I made a badge to cover the holes in the rear fender where the stock tail light was.

Tyres - Metzelers. I'm running marathons ... again ... do yourself a favour!

The ride now is sweet!

Next ... I've got a high-comp piston on my desk that will be going in soon (once I order a gasket kit). Then, I'd like to get a direct-slide carb, and play with the intake/exhaust/jetting as necessary. I've got one of Versy's head plugs (that will go in when the engine's out ... and I need to pick up a Versy cam-chain tensioner, but no hurry on that - low kms!)

I'd love to tackle the suspension too. But I'll look at that after the engine mods are done. I have read 'Gary from NJ's' excellent tutorial on the front suspension ... but yeah .. later! As for the rear shocks, I'm not a heavy guy (73 kgs) so I don't bottom out. And I don't want to add extra height to the rear, so maybe stock is ok!

FWIW, here she is as of today:

« Last Edit: 05/15/18 at 06:33:09 by IslandRoad »  

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Orels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #34 - 09/08/20 at 17:23:50

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/02/21 at 00:14:54 by Orels »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 09/09/20 at 18:30:08

Lookin Good , keep the pics coming , love the vintage look , very cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #36 - 09/13/20 at 17:12:07

Ruttly wrote on 09/09/20 at 18:30:08:
Lookin Good , keep the pics coming , love the vintage look , very cool
--------------

I agree.  Super cool!

IP Logged
Orels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #37 - 09/17/20 at 23:36:54

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/02/21 at 00:12:44 by Orels »  
  IP Logged
Orels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #38 - 09/17/20 at 23:37:30

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/02/21 at 00:13:42 by Orels »  
  IP Logged
Orels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #39 - 09/17/20 at 23:37:58

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/02/21 at 00:13:57 by Orels »  
  IP Logged
Orels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #40 - 09/17/20 at 23:44:22

Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/02/21 at 00:14:08 by Orels »  
  IP Logged
Namaste432
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 09/24/20 at 20:51:44

This is my bobber build with the suicide shifter and clutch l

IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/07/20 at 06:18:36

IslandRoad wrote on 05/15/18 at 03:35:34:
My mods so far have been for style and ergonomics. I pushed the style thing, but had to make concessions to get the ride right. I think I'm finished with that side of things ... I think ... pretty sure! :

Dyna muff and stock air filter - Perfect. Louder and deeper, but still cool to start her up at 5am

Re-jetted accordingly - that was a really good education!

Yamaha Raptor Fuel Tap - Do yourself a favour!

Modified stock seat - This involved moving the rectifier (to the tool box, and drilling a hole in the bottom of the tool box cover to allow air-flow). I took a bit off the height of the driver's seat, lowered the pillion, cut the angle off between front and back, and shaped the front so my legs can relax out front. The seat now allows me some wriggle room, forward and back. And some shimmy room, left and right (Thank you MShipley for the seat to experiment with). Then I got it professionally covered - probably the best $150 I've spent.

Tail Light - Ditched the stock tail light and went with an LED (DOT rated) cat eye tail light under the rear fender. Also replaced the flasher relay with an electronic version that supports halogen and LED lights.

Turn Signals - switched to 'bullet style' turn signals. They are halogen and DOT rated (don't buy cheap LEDs ... I did initially!). Front signals are mounted on P Clamps sourced locally (You have to drop the forks to get the stock brackets off). The rear ones are mounted on a bracket I made to sit on the license plate bracket. I initially bent some aluminium to make a bracket but it failed! Then I welded one from mild steel and painted it with chrome paint. It vibrates a lot back there at the rear fender. I had to silicon around the globes on the rear because they vibrated off their little mounts inside the housing ... so far, so good.

Handle Bars - I started with wider drag bars, then I made custom risers from aluminium rod - However I was concerned about using bolts that were 40mm longer than spec at the same diameter, and I had to grind the hex head to fit into the clamps - metallurgy anyone?  So, I switched to the old-style clamps/risers (thank you Lancer) and Triumph Superbars (Very good, Look great! ... but not quite right). Then finally settled on Z Bars with a 6" rise - spot on!

Forward Controls - I ran with a set of Ed L's 4" forward controls. I polished them up and modified the shape a little. They're a great product, and I liked them ... but ... I was trying to find a happy medium for various riding styles, and they weren't quite for me. It's fun to ride with feet out front, but ultimately (I found out) I want a more dynamic experience (says the guy riding a 650 cruiser!!)

Rear Fender - I ditched the chrome "eyebrows". The holes bugged me, and I wanted at least some storage capacity. I fitted eye-bolts to the fender to act as tie-down points, and I got a weather proof bag with D-Rings. That worked out really well. That just leaves me two bolt-holes near that seat that have rubber grommets in them - maybe a little badge? Oh yeah, I made a badge to cover the holes in the rear fender where the stock tail light was.

Tyres - Metzelers. I'm running marathons ... again ... do yourself a favour!

The ride now is sweet!

Next ... I've got a high-comp piston on my desk that will be going in soon (once I order a gasket kit). Then, I'd like to get a direct-slide carb, and play with the intake/exhaust/jetting as necessary. I've got one of Versy's head plugs (that will go in when the engine's out ... and I need to pick up a Versy cam-chain tensioner, but no hurry on that - low kms!)

I'd love to tackle the suspension too. But I'll look at that after the engine mods are done. I have read 'Gary from NJ's' excellent tutorial on the front suspension ... but yeah .. later! As for the rear shocks, I'm not a heavy guy (73 kgs) so I don't bottom out. And I don't want to add extra height to the rear, so maybe stock is ok!

FWIW, here she is as of today:

https://i.imgur.com/qpwqGWMl.jpg

1.  I lust for your bike.

2.  What's inside the tool kit?  The factory kit sucks (2017 Boulevard S-40).  I want the handlebar toolkit like yours

3.  For the love of Pete, how do I adjust the rear suspension for a passenger?  Manual says there are 5 clicks.  I keep reading about "stick a screwdriver in there."

Screwdriver?  What type (Phillps?  Flat)?

What size?  (diameter)

Hex?  (What size/type?)

I've asked:

Cyclepedia
Clymer
Here

No dice.  Oh, I suspect I should ask Suzuki.

Post my results.  Unless somebody knows.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 10/07/20 at 07:16:08

irritatedmongo wrote on 10/07/20 at 06:18:36:
3.  For the love of Pete, how do I adjust the rear suspension for a passenger?  Manual says there are 5 clicks.  I keep reading about "stick a screwdriver in there."

What size?  (diameter) #2 or medium

A little lubrication helps, likely hasn't been moved in years.
And if all else fails, take off the lower bolt, flip it up so you can see what you're doing.
I know people have said you can adjust them mounted, but I've never been able to do that.

WWW   IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/10/20 at 22:19:30

verslagen1 wrote on 10/07/20 at 07:16:08:
irritatedmongo wrote on 10/07/20 at 06:18:36:

What size?  (diameter) #2 or medium

A little lubrication helps, likely hasn't been moved in years.
And if all else fails, take off the lower bolt, flip it up so you can see what you're doing.
I know people have said you can adjust them mounted, but I've never been able to do that.

Thanks!  I'll try that.  Yeah, had been looking all over the place for more detailed info but I'll give this a whirl.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 08:11:35

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Savage mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.