Send Topic Print
Dead Solenoid???? (Read 12 times)
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Dead Solenoid????
05/25/05 at 03:51:46

I had an ADD moment and left the key on when i got back from lunch yesterday...... she obviously wouldn't start many hours later so i called dad, the ASA certified mechanic in the family, and we took the battery off and charged it....... battery reads fine, but when i put it back in and went to start her all i get is a click and no action from the starter....... the battery is fully charged, but a volt meter connected from the battery to the starter reads absolutely nothing when i turn it over....... in the last few weeks i've had mornings where i go to start her and i get absolutely no click, no nothing....... i wait a minute or two and try again and the gremlin goes away and she starts right up....... as of now the battery is fully charged and i can hear the click but she refuses to crank over....... any opinions from you Thumpin' wrenchers would be greatly appreciated........

I'm livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.....
islandcat88   IP Logged
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Re: Dead Solenoid????
Reply #1 - 05/25/05 at 03:54:19

one last detail that might help you mor mechanically inclined types figure this out....... last night i jumped the bike and she started and ran fine, but when i put her in gear and tried to ride off she lost power and died...... any thoughts are greatly appreciated.......

islandcat88   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 05/25/05 at 04:05:39

dont know whether this will help, i hand exactly the same symptoms..it turned out to be the battery..even if the battery tests ok with a voltmeter it can still be shot. Can you try another, known good battery, i hooked up to a friends and started up straight away.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/25/05 at 04:29:47

Trump2Thump wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
last night i jumped the bike and she started and ran fine, but when i put her in gear and tried to ride off she lost power and died

Make REAL sure you have a good battery

That does sound interesting - what does lost power mean? as soon as you shifted it in gear with the clutch in it died (perhaps a kickstand interlock issue) or was it not that quick? -  if it was running fine before the dead battery issue that's the place to spend a bunch of time first.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 05/25/05 at 04:32:19

one last detail that might help you mor mechanically inclined types figure this out....... last night i jumped the bike and she started and ran fine, but when i put her in gear and tried to ride off she lost power and died...... any thoughts are greatly appreciated.......

I think you have a DEAD battery. Or there's a bad connection somewhere. Try the little negative wire that's attached to the - of the battery, follow it and at about a few inches away the re's a connector.
The click that you hear is the decompression solenoid, so that is working.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Reply #5 - 05/25/05 at 04:47:12

when i jumped her she started and ran fine in neutral..... when i rode off she started to lose power then sputtered and died....... sounds from what i'm reading that i'm gonna need a new battery..... any recomendations on best overall battery brand for the money spent????

islandcat88   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 05/25/05 at 04:56:51

A battery can do that, work one time and not the next.
I put my KLX battery on charge for two days and it was still pulling two amps so time for a new one, Yuasa (YTX9-BS) I think.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/25/05 at 05:36:26

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/25/05 at 05:39:15

Take your battery to a shop to have it load tested.  You can have 12 V on a meter with a useless battery, even if it doesn't have the AMPs to start the bike.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/25/05 at 06:36:23

Consider the Odyssey Dry Cell battery.  There is NO liquid to leak out and damage stuff, you can mount it anywhere..even upside down, it is nearly indestructable, and it does not cost all that much.  I got one on ebay 2 years ago for $65 and it was delivered in about 3-4 days.  Take a look at it and consider getting one.
The one I got which was closest to the Savage battery size, was said to be for v-twins so there is more than enough power for the Savage.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 05/25/05 at 10:43:48

I just bought an Odyssey PC545MJ on eBay for $65 + $14 S/H and it was delivered in 2 days.  I am currently working out how I want to mount it because it's not really the same dimensions.  It's shorter (height) and longer than the battery box.  I am toying with putting a platform inside the box to raise it and allow me to place the stock toolkit underneath it, allowing me to close the cover and have it look similar to stock.  So far I'm just not satisfied the cover will stay in place as well as I'd like it without some more modifications.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/25/05 at 14:31:28

I dropped an Oddesy battery the other day. Good thing it was already deceased...it shattered like a crystal wineglass. Try a Dynabatt. Weighs 13 pounds, but is like a big flashlight battery. Has enough amps to start a Toyota...but is made for bikes. Warranty against discharge failure is 6 YEARS. I just use whatever cheap crap wet cell is on sale. My battery box is modified so the vent tube is irrelevant.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Reply #12 - 05/25/05 at 15:33:12

looks like the battery was not the issue..... put a new one in at lunch and still got the same click and no turnover....... it was an old battery, so that was probably a good call anyway....... Atlantic Cycle is on the way to pick her up and get my baby smiling again....... i figure i might as well get the notorious plug leak fixed while she's in the shop for a $10 plug and an extra hour's labor........ man, do i wish was i was not so mechanically inept.......

islandcat88   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/25/05 at 16:00:07

man, do i wish was i was not so mechanically inept.......

Start small, go slow, practice and be patient.  Patience is the part I sometimes have trouble with.  At least I've learned to walk away for a while if I make myself too frustrated.  Then I can come back calmer and continue.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 05/25/05 at 19:27:36

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I dropped an Oddesy battery the other day. Good thing it was already deceased...it shattered like a crystal wineglass. Try a Dynabatt. Weighs 13 pounds, but is like a big flashlight battery. Has enough amps to start a Toyota...but is made for bikes. Warranty against discharge failure is 6 YEARS. I just use whatever cheap crap wet cell is on sale. My battery box is modified so the vent tube is irrelevant.
-WD

How old was the battery before dieing and shattering?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:27:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead Solenoid????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.