Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Idle Mixture Screw (Read 1875 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Idle Mixture Screw
Reply #30 - 05/18/09 at 14:22:54

when you install the diaphragm lockplate for white spacer mod the dimple ffaces down????? correct

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #31 - 05/18/09 at 18:49:43

texsam wrote on 05/18/09 at 14:22:54:
when you install the diaphragm lockplate for white spacer mod the dimple ffaces down????? correct

Correct.

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/19/09 at 02:58:07

thank you

IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #33 - 05/19/09 at 08:05:28

i have one thing to add...
when you are preparing to drill out the brass piece of junk covering the air screw have some deep creep and gasket remover on hand... you will have to clean the threads very carefully because you screw has been lock-tite'ed in place... its very tempting to unscrew the thing and strip out those delicate threads and try to order a new brass air screw online but if you have ever ordered carb parts online its anything but easy...
also...
when you figure out that the idle jet is 52.5 you can get a micrometer and some tiny little drill bits and drill it out instead of searching for a larger jet online...
heres what i did...
first you you get your jet and try fitting a drill bit down the hole till one fits snug... measure it.. should be about .50mm .
next find a bit thats around .55, .57mmdrill your jet carefully.. clean, replace, test.
i found .58 to be the lucky number... no more backfiring on the highways...

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
funridetohell gasmaskfuturexx   IP Logged
andyr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/19/09 at 09:42:33

On my 2005 S40, modified by the previous original owner with a gutted Harley type muffler, pod style air filter and a Dynojet (?) kit, turning the mixture screw full to the right (CW) actually INCREASED the idle speed. This caused poor cold and low-end performance though with much backfiring. I went 2 turns CCW and this decreased the idle speed but the bike ran better with less backfiring. I'm relating this story because the idle speed issue confused me quite a bit since it was counter intuitive. - Andy R.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #35 - 05/19/09 at 13:25:44

andyr wrote on 05/19/09 at 09:42:33:
On my 2005 S40, modified by the previous original owner with a gutted Harley type muffler, pod style air filter and a Dynojet (?) kit, turning the mixture screw full to the right (CW) actually INCREASED the idle speed. This caused poor cold and low-end performance though with much backfiring. I went 2 turns CCW and this decreased the idle speed but the bike ran better with less backfiring. I'm relating this story because the idle speed issue confused me quite a bit since it was counter intuitive. - Andy R.

I maty, strange things can happen when a tiny passageway or two are clogged either partially or fully.

IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #36 - 05/22/09 at 13:33:29

kickstartmyheart wrote on 05/19/09 at 08:05:28:
heres what i did...
first you you get your jet and try fitting a drill bit down the hole till one fits snug... measure it.. should be about .50mm .
next find a bit thats around .55, .57mmdrill your jet carefully.. clean, replace, test.
i found .58 to be the lucky number... no more backfiring on the highways...

Nice, thanks for that info. It's just what I was looking for. I am in need of something in between the 52.5 and the 55. I am wondering though, did you do anything with the hole on the side for the emulsion tube or just drill out the hole down the center?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #37 - 05/22/09 at 14:34:39

At the tme I did that I had the stock  jet with just the hole in the end.  If you have the air-bleed type with the side holes it will still work for you,  increasing the size of any/all of the holes will increase fuel flow.   For now just do the end hole.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #38 - 05/28/09 at 21:39:03

DavetheDog wrote on 05/22/09 at 13:33:29:
... I am in need of something in between the 52.5 and the 55...  

You running a pod filter?  If so, try the 52.5 but then add a 2" tube between the pod filter and carb.  This will increase the vacuum/velocity and pull fuel up through the 52.5 jet more effectively.  Should be enough to get you fuel delivery that falls between the 52.5 and the 55 w/ bleed holes when using a pod filter directly on the carb.  A 2" tube won't be quite long enough to effect powerband characteristics, just improve flow enough to make the 52.5 work a little better.  

Whenever I've improved flow, I've needed to make changes to reduce fuel delivery yet get better power and response.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #39 - 07/27/09 at 20:02:11

bobo383 wrote on 05/23/05 at 19:35:27:
It's behind a little plug on the right side of the carb.  I've already drilled the plug out, but here's the location:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/bobo383/IdleMixture.jpg

If any of you are handwriting analysts, please keep quiet.  Oh, I guess you could tell that already...

As a matter of fact I do enjoy Graphology Grin

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Reply #40 - 08/07/09 at 13:57:20

Hey I am stumped because I can't get my 87' savage to run right. My carb has a 55, 150, and 1/2 spacer with K&N style filter and sportster muff. I adjust the idle screw to a good idle and the idle mix screw(right side) out 3/4 and it starts off great and will idle all day. I get the bike out on the road and it starts sputtering and popping and will die on me. If I put the coc to prime instead of on it will run. Does this make any sense to anyone? I am thinking the floats need adjusting, but I have them set to what my Clymer told me to do, and I have no other ideas. Please help.

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #41 - 08/07/09 at 14:46:07

dhowe003 wrote on 08/07/09 at 13:57:20:
Hey I am stumped because I can't get my 87' savage to run right. My carb has a 55, 150, and 1/2 spacer with K&N style filter and sportster muff. I adjust the idle screw to a good idle and the idle mix screw(right side) out 3/4 and it starts off great and will idle all day. I get the bike out on the road and it starts sputtering and popping and will die on me. If I put the coc to prime instead of on it will run. Does this make any sense to anyone? I am thinking the floats need adjusting, but I have them set to what my Clymer told me to do, and I have no other ideas. Please help.

Check the vacuum line for cracks and/or holes. If there is gas in the vacuum line, you have a defective petcock.

(Hey Verslagen? do I get a nickle now?)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Reply #42 - 08/07/09 at 15:55:56

what would be the damage if i ride with it on prime until i get a new petcock?

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #43 - 08/07/09 at 16:56:46

dhowe003 wrote on 08/07/09 at 15:55:56:
what would be the damage if i ride with it on prime until i get a new petcock?

If you run out of gas while riding you have no reserve.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Reply #44 - 08/07/09 at 18:08:10

Thanks, I have another question. When you change the spacer, do you need to make any additional adjustments to the floats?

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:18:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.