Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Idle Mixture Screw
Reply #15 - 09/19/05 at 11:37:33

I believe CCW makes the mixture richer while CW leans it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #16 - 09/19/05 at 12:13:44

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
We didn't note which way does what.
Right to Rich (CW)
Left to Lean (CCW)
Is that correct?
8)

after further research I believe you are right R to L and L to R
or
Right to Lean (CW)
Left to Rich (CCW)

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/15/09 at 16:06:14

i got a quick question i adjusted my idle mixture screw it solved most backfiring issues screwed screw in cw all the way and turned 2.5 times out ccw  but now my muffler wich is stock is whistling a tad should i be concerned about back pressure, compression ect.?? just bought 06 s40 and luvin it!!!!great bike

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/15/09 at 18:46:49

Your bike must be happy to whistle.
I changes the muf to a supertrapp and it just growls all the time.

WWW   IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/16/09 at 11:02:12

cool just didn't know thanx for the advise

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #20 - 04/16/09 at 11:27:44

Look for something else causing the whistle.  Coincidences happen.  An aftermarket muffler will likely be louder, and may offer more power at wide open throttle...or may not, and may cause a power loss.

For more about properly designing exhaust and intake systems, the best work I know of is Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems by Smith and Morrison.  It is old, but the principles remain valid.
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/automotive-engineering/Scientific-Design-Exh...
A local public library can probably get this book, perhaps by an interlibrary loan.

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/17/09 at 17:51:37

thanx ptrider, i gotta question when the engine hasn't been ran for a while and is dead cold it stumbles rite after starting for a sec or 2,does that mean i have the a little mixture screw to rich?????this is in the mourning like 4 am temp bout 65 - 70 degrees, choke also makes it worse so thats why i'm thinkin to rich........................................ Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool later on guys

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/26/09 at 17:28:11

i've set my screw at 3 and 1/8 turns is that to far???it seems to work good less backfire??good starts.

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #23 - 04/29/09 at 09:08:54

yeah, usually anything over 3 turns out is too far and you should jet up.

There's so many jet/carb posts, you;ll find all the info there and then some.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/15/09 at 16:31:51

where can i find a larger pilot jet i have 52.5 and it runs best 3 1/4 turns out so i think i need to go 1 size up but i don't know where to look i have an 06 s40

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #25 - 05/15/09 at 21:04:20

Savage_Rob wrote on 09/19/05 at 11:37:33:
I believe CCW makes the mixture richer while CW leans it.

I agree

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 05/16/09 at 05:07:50

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 09/19/05 at 12:13:44:
Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
We didn't note which way does what.
Right to Rich (CW)
Left to Lean (CCW)
Is that correct?
8)

after further research I believe you are right R to L and L to R
or
Right to Lean (CW)
Left to Rich (CCW)

Yep, correct info for the stock BS40 carb

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 05/16/09 at 05:33:13

texsam wrote on 05/15/09 at 16:31:51:
where can i find a larger pilot jet i have 52.5 and it runs best 3 1/4 turns out so i think i need to go 1 size up but i don't know where to look i have an 06 s40

Your local dealer should have them available.  If not then beat them thouroughly about the head and shoulders, then politely apologize for the slight over reaction to their lack of customer support and then let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages to see if another local independent shop has a jet assortment.  If not available locally then go online; their are many parts suppliers listed in this tech section.  
I am away from home and will not be back for 2 weeks or so, otherwise I would just send you one.
Keep after it, someone has one.

**There is one other possible option depending on how far you are willing to go.  If you have a set of the tiny diamond files, usually 8-10 of assorted shapes included, can be had for very low $ at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool stores; one of the files in the set is round and very pointed and the tip of that file may be used to open the brass pilot jet hole.  It must be done gently and carefully lest you open it too far and find yourself in a too rich situation.  The brass is soft and files off very easily, so when inserting the point of the file into the end of the jet you just very lightly turn/twist the file with the fingers back and forth a couple of times; just enough to remove a hair of metal.  Install jet back in carb and test run & readjust the pilot screw.  (If you do this you might as well reset the pilot screw back to a 1.5 turn out position to give you a new starting point).
I find it a fun thing to do, just don't file the first time so much that you can really see metal on the point of the file, because if you can easily see the brass on the file the first time then you have likely gone too far already... I know about that one.  The first time I tried it I think I went up 2 or 3 jet sizes, but I was much to heavy handed and had turned the file probably 8-10 times until I could actually see that the hole was bigger.  That was a mistake.    Working gently and lightly will avoid that.  It is much better to go by touch, you can feel the file contact the brass hole and a couple of gentle turns is enough for each test step.
It is fun stuff.

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/16/09 at 11:49:59

thank you i'll take a look see what i'll do i might do that file thing you just said thats a good idea

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/16/09 at 14:17:06

let me ask one more question,when i bought the bike the brass plug was already removed and from day one i never needed to use choke not even when it's 45 - 50 degrees outside and the bike is dead cold when i adjusted the screw i tested it and it came out to 3 1/4 turns on the mixture screw best idle performance ect. then i turned it in to just 3 turns and it requires a little choke even in 80 degree weather sois that weiird to not use choke in those conditions (to rich) or is it weird to use a little choke 80 degree weather these are only on cold starts i mean dead cold starts

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.