Trip Meter Ideas (Read 2806 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Trip Meter Ideas
Reply #45 - 05/24/12 at 09:59:33

I installed a bicycle speedo from Wally-world. It does not work. It seems the vibration from the bike causes the unit to register just any ole speed it wants. Once the bike is shut-off it will go back to zero, otherwise just random numbers,  even sitting still. The clock works and it has indiglo backlight.. so I do have a workable clock.  $20.

IP Logged
Kiran
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 05/24/12 at 11:00:48

Dave wrote on 05/23/12 at 11:26:01:
It is more money - but I will be investigating this from VaporTech. Not only can you adjust the mph to correct for changing over to sprockets and chain - it also can do the following:

I'm pretty sure the VaporTech reads your speed using a sensor and magnet just like the bicycle computers.  So your gearing or sprockets would have no bearing on it reading your speed.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #47 - 05/24/12 at 11:34:40

Pine wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:59:33:
I installed a bicycle speedo from Wally-world. It does not work. It seems the vibration from the bike causes the unit to register just any ole speed it wants. Once the bike is shut-off it will go back to zero, otherwise just random numbers,  even sitting still. The clock works and it has indiglo backlight.. so I do have a workable clock.  $20.

Sounds like you bought the "wireless" kind.  Those don't work because of ignition noise, etc, etc.  

Get the one with a wire from the sensor up to the display, and it should work OK (mine does).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #48 - 05/24/12 at 11:35:59

KiranOtter wrote on 05/24/12 at 11:00:48:
It is more money - but I will be investigating this from VaporTech. Not only can you adjust the mph to correct for changing over to sprockets and chain - it also can do the following:

I'm pretty sure the VaporTech reads your speed using a sensor and magnet just like the bicycle computers.  So your gearing or sprockets would have no bearing on it reading your speed.

Dave is correct.  It reads a magnet/sensor combo on the front (or rear) wheel.  What you set is the circumference of the wheel.

I use a VaporTech on one of my bikes.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #49 - 05/24/12 at 11:37:28

youzguyz wrote on 05/24/12 at 11:34:40:
Pine wrote on 05/24/12 at 09:59:33:

Sounds like you bought the "wireless" kind.  Those don't work because of ignition noise, etc, etc.  

Get the one with a wire from the sensor up to the display, and it should work OK (mine does).

Dernit... yeah.. wireless.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 05/24/12 at 12:31:29

KiranOtter wrote on 05/24/12 at 11:00:48:

Well......the stock speedometer that is cable driven does read incorrectly when you change the gearing using sprockets.  My point was that the Vaportech was a way to get an accurate speedometer reading if you did change sprockets.....or tire sizes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #51 - 05/24/12 at 13:21:17

i did the schwinn wal mart speedo mod worked fine - but i have much simpler solution that i still use today on my new honda shadow - it worked just fine on the savage the 2 yrs a rode it:

next time your bike is about to trip an even 100 mile +/- 5 miles on the odom stop and fill it up - then always fill up on the next even 100 +/- 5 - i guarantee you'll never run out cause I know the bike will go 100 miles (95/105) no problem on roughly 2 gal of gas and the tank is 2.8 gal.....and i never hit reserve either.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #52 - 05/27/12 at 16:15:11

As long as I'm riding continuously I can remember my last fillup odo reading and just wait until I accumulate 125 miles or so.   However, when the bike is parked for several days I need a reminder of when I filled up last, especially since I live in a remote area where nearest town is 30 miles away.   Here is the solution I came up with.   You can slide plastic tubing on the hasp to keep it from scratching and hang around the handlebars, mirror, etc.   These are $2.80 on eBay including ship.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Denise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 05/29/12 at 06:22:12

I have this one from Walmart which has a cable and will wrap around the riser perfectly, it stays in place by itself ( the ziptie is for my fork bag ) and looks decent, does the job for about $5

IP Logged
Cookie1247
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 05/29/12 at 08:01:29

I bought a Sigma BC509 as the BC800 was not available.  It was the lowest cost and has the basic functions (speed, trip meter, and clock).  I installed the sensor as pictured and calibrated the wheel circumference but simply rolling the bike along the driveway.  One mark where the valve stem is at the bottom of the wheel rotation then the next mark after one full rotation.  For my 2006 LS650 the circumference is 2032 mm.  
I found one problem.  The length of wire between the sensor and the computer was too short to reach the handlebars.  I tried attaching the computer to the left front turn signal which worked well.  Then I decided I really wanted in on the handlebars so I spliced in about 12 inches of additional wire.  Not a big problem except that the sensor wire is very fine and hard to work with.
Once I got the sensor and computer where I wanted them, I attached four of the Radio Shack rare earth magnets.  Everything works great!!  I also found that the in tank mechanical speedometer is very accurate.  The digital and mechanical speedometers agreed within 1 mph over a range from 5-65 mph.  
This is a great mod!  Thanks to everyone who did the background work!

IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #55 - 05/29/12 at 12:30:20

Hi, hoping to get a '94 Savage in the next week or so, but in the meantime I thought I'd add what I used for my old bike when the trip counter went - a knitting row counter. You can either wire tie them, or if you get one big enough, pass a clutch/throttle/choke cable through them. They're cheap as well, two for couple of dollars delivered from eBay.
Would post a link/image, but it's my first post so it's a no go Smiley

IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 05/30/12 at 17:05:41

Dont know if this would pertain to this topic, but I use an app on my iphone everytime I fill up. It records the date, miles, mpg, and price per gallon, if I want to know when to filll up I just look on the app quickly

IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #57 - 06/10/12 at 06:11:13

Now I've made a few posts, here's the knitting counter I was referring to :-

Trip_reminder.png
  IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #58 - 06/10/12 at 06:15:14

(Can't figure out how to add more than one attachment yet in YaBB) Smiley

Trip_reminder_2.png
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #59 - 05/27/14 at 18:19:51

I'm using this voice recorder key chain to keep track of milage when I fill up.  It work OK so far, but I asked and they said it is not water resistant.  If it breaks, I will get a luggage lock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWBIIHO/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 10:28:07

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Trip Meter Ideas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.