Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! (Read 1 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Help!
05/18/05 at 23:49:05

Hey folks,

So forget my "Hop Up?" post.  How do I fix my problem?

Problem:

For a while, the bike didn't run as the spark plug kept turning black.  I pulled the carb, thinking it was running rich at 4200 feet in CO, and I still have the stock jets in there. When I put it back in  did not adjust the idle mixture screw.  I installed a new spark plug (ignition) wire and half of the coil, which comes with that wire, as well as the high tension seal and SP cap (the old one was at 22000 Ohms, the new at something like 20 Ohms.  Ran great... for 5 days.  Now It is hard to start and won't idle without some throttle, and even then it is definetly missing.  I ahve not had a chance to check the plug, but will do so tomorow; I assume it is black.

It is a 97. I got it in "02 with about 8000 miles, and I've ridden it pretty hard (cross country twice... had to have the timing redone after that). It now has 21000 miles on it.

So, Idle mixture screw, seals, what?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

KS

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Help!
Reply #1 - 05/19/05 at 03:27:56

Your description of the problem you are having hits home.  The way I solved the problem with my bike is to add a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery oil (2 cycle oil will work also) to each tank of gas.  When I add the oil, no problem.  When I don't, problem returns.  Will be changing to an Edelbrock carb soon.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/19/05 at 06:17:16

This sounds like the carb slide is hanging so the needle  does not regulate the main jet at lower rpms properly - a little of the MM oil or a very light dose of castrol tts 2-stroke (1/2 oz or so in the tank) lubes the slide - but it needs to be real clean -dirt and junk can/will build around the top of the slide near the diaphram-  I had an air leak due to loose clamps on the carb that was letting it suck in unflitered air when I first got the '95 that had the slide dirty and it would do what you describe - and self induced once when working on the spacer I had oil/dirt on my hands and on the slide it went - same problem came back.

By the way I assume your slide is coated - how much of the black coating is worn off the slide  ?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/19/05 at 09:05:25

Hmm. Okay. I will pull the carb this weekend and inspect my needle.  Thanks guys!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/19/05 at 23:43:12

The slide sticking is actually fairly common on late model vacuum slide carbs, regardless of who made it. You can polish the slide with a dirty dollar bill and smooth it out pretty well. Then just add some 2 stroke oil or ATF to the gas, every tank.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 05/20/05 at 10:09:27

The way I see it, adding any oil to the gas is a waste of time.  You are not fixing the problem, and if your problem is fouling plugs...well, adding oil to the gas isn't going to fix that, and will most likely make it worse.  And no where in any manufacturers publications is that ever recommended anyway.

At this point you know the electrical parts are new.  You  know that it ran great for 5 days.  You also know how the bike is operated if you've driven that many miles on it, so it isn't a "newbie" problem either.

I always ask...What changed?  That means, what else has happened or did you do while not thinking that it was related to the problem?

Go back to the intake and the carb...gas, air, and of course, compression.  Does the engine turn over many many times before starting or is it normal and fire off on about the second revolution?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:51:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.