Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 101 questions. (Read 7 times)
Karen627
Ex Member

S40 101 questions.
05/12/05 at 00:30:59

I've been thinking about asking these questions, but they're sort of "Riding 101" questions, and I was afraid of appearing stupid.  Then I decided I'd just embrace the horror.  So here we go.

First question:  What speed should I be doing in each gear?  Here's what I'm doing:

1st gear: 0-15 mph
2nd gear: 15 mph to about 28 mph (not exact -- around high 20's)
3rd gear: high 20's to 40 mph (or thereabouts)
4th gear: 40-55 mph.
5th gear: 55 mph and up.

Those are close to the speeds I'm doing when I shift, but not exact.  I've read the manual, and then when I'm riding I can never remember specifically what the manual says, so I've just been going by feel.  So far, the bike doesn't feel like it's lugging when I upshift, and the rear wheel doesn't skip when I downshift, and overall, the bike seems, well, happy enough.  So I think I'm okay.  But if I'm wrong, please tell me -- I'd really like to know before I break my bike.

Second question (and this may be the really stupid one):

A few weeks ago while riding, I ran out of gas.  Not having ever done this before, and believing I had more gas than I did, I just assumed I had done something horribly wrong and, yes, broke the bike.  So I wound up running the gas tank to empty without switching to reserve.  

So now the bike's completely dead, the tank's empty, and I'm walking it on to the shoulder.  Upon realizing that it was simply out of gas, I tried switching to reserve, and the switch wouldn't move.  Is it normal for the switch not to move if the tank is completely empty?  Or should I have that looked at?

And I promise, one day I'll have something intelligent to add to this forum.  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: S40 101 questions.
Reply #1 - 05/12/05 at 02:06:56

3700    5000    6500
1st         21        28        37
2nd        31        42        55
3rd         43        58        75
4th         51        69        90
5th         55        75        97

3700 rpm's is peak torque speed
5000 rpm's is peak power speed
6500 rpm's is max revs.
these numbers are for the Savage but i assume they are the same as the S40

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 05/12/05 at 02:46:31

Maybe the little handle of the petc0ck was already in reserve ( pointing forward). Fill-up the tank and put the fuelc0ck to PRI ( pointing rearward), wait for a few seconds for the floatchamber to fill-up. Start the engine, you'l be fine, no harmdone. Don't forget to switch to normal ( pointing downward).

To resume:
Foreward - Reserve
Down       - Normal running
Rearward - Prime ( Open, does not need vacuum from     the carburator to open)

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/05 at 04:51:19

Thanks, guys.  

So Clive, if I'm understanding you correctly, it seems I've been babying my bike, huh?  At least in first and second gears, anyway.  

Now I just have to learn the difference between peak power and peak torque.  (Told you I was a beginner.  Man, I have a lot to learn.  Roll Eyes )

Kropatcheck -- no, the handle wasn't on reserve at the time.  I'm wondering, though, if there was nothing in reserve, perhaps?  And a whole other dopey question: what's the float chamber?

See, this is why I'm reluctant to ask questions -- I knew I wouldn't fully understand the answers.   ???  Feel free to smack me down when I get really frustrating, okay?   Cheesy  

(Meanwhile, I think it's time I find a decent motorcycle-mechanics-for-beginners book, so I can figure this stuff out.)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/12/05 at 06:23:44

Oddly enough, the owners manual tells you the recommended points for shifting.  But I just do it by feel and circumstance.  In heavier traffic, I prefer to stay in the lowest possible "comfortable" gear to make it easier to change speed and get out of a bad situation.  After changing my air filter and exhaust and rejetting, the increased power slightly changed my shift points too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 05/12/05 at 06:46:37

Karen627 wrote:

"Is it normal for the switch not to move if the tank is completely empty?"

I've never run my tank empty, but I'm wondering if you for sure have the tank selector in "normal." I can't think of a reason why the selector wouldn't work with the tank empty (need to prime when this happens) unless it was broken. Would it not turn either direction? It's easy to think the pointer is pointing at normal when in reality it is pointing at reserve. Check the prime position and which way the pointer indicates. That way you'll be sure to know which way to turn the valve. Different bikes look different, so what "looks" normal for one bike might 180 degrees wrong for another bike.

How did you determine the tank was empty? You may already know this, but there isn't a separate "reserve" tank, only a lower pickup level in the tank when you switch the valve from normal to prime. If your tank ran completely empty in the normal position, there is something wrong with the pickup.

Kevin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 05/12/05 at 06:49:41

Hey Karen

Peak torque is your engine's most efficient speed, and peak power is where you get the most performance. More important in higher gears.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/12/05 at 07:43:58

Karen,

There are no dumb questions on this board. We were all new to the bike at one time. I've had mine for 7 years, will freely admit I don't know everything about the bike yet. HD, no problem, I could rebuild one in my sleep, with one hand cut off and the other paralyzed. The Savage? It's a Japanese bike, haxen't had to do much to it mechanically (okay, I have to do some carb work, I'm lazy) other than oil, filter, and sparkplug changes.

Was your gas tap handle just slightly rearward of RUN? If so, it was in fact slightly bypassing the vacuum only operating position and was drawing gas directly on the PRI circuit, which operates off the lowest point of the valve, meaning what should have been your reserve fuel. As for the sticking handle, put a couple ounces of oil in your gas, it will keep the carb happy AND lubricate the fuel tap a bit better than straight gass does.

Shift points? The book is a general guide. That's all. If you like how you've been riding and shifting, stay with it. Gradually work yourself up to increasing the RPMs/ground speed. As long as you keep the oil changed and the level correct, you won't hurt the bike. Late shifting is better than short shifting, for the motor. Opposite for the transmission.  If your bike has been running fine, don't sweat it, you're in the powerband for YOUR particular bike.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/12/05 at 10:57:56

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Thanks, guys.  

So Clive, if I'm understanding you correctly, it seems I've been babying my bike, huh?  At least in first and second gears, anyway.  

I certainly do not think those speed ranges are babying the bike - keep the oil clean and it should run a long time driven like that.  

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/12/05 at 21:58:39

Okay.  I assume that we're all talking about the same thing -- the fuel valve.  (I now have the manual in front of me. Grin )  On my bike, the fuel valve lever (the handle/switch thingy I keep referring to) is pointing straight down at ON (let's say the 6:00 position).  (And of course, at 9:00 is RES, and at 3:00 is PRI.)  The lever hasn't been moved since I first got the bike in February.  

WD, according to the manual, leaving it in the "PRI" position is dangerous because, it says here, "the carburetor may overflow and fuel may run into the engine.  This can cause a fire or cause severe damage when you start the engine."  The lever's pointing to "ON" on my bike, and I haven't had any fire or severe damage in the three months I've had the bike, so I'm guessing there's not a problem with the lever position, and there's no gas being pulled directly on the PRI circuit.

Kevin, I can't say for sure if the tank was completely empty -- there may have been some in reserve that I couldn't access because I couldn't switch over, and that I couldn't see when I opened the gas tank cap.  But it looked empty and definitely needed gas to get started again.

Anyway.  Since the gas silliness, I haven't tried moving the fuel valve lever again.  Kropatchek, I was thinking of doing something similar to what you suggested.  Perhaps when I get home, can I try moving the lever to RES and then starting it, just to see if it'll move, and then when it starts, move it back to "ON"?  (I'm not sure if PRI is a good idea, since I've ridden the bike since the time I ran out of gas, and the gas doesn't need to flow straight into the carburetor...?)  Is there any reason why I shouldn't try this?  (And after all this, wouldn't it be funny if it worked? Roll Eyes )

Clive, thanks for the torque/power definitions. Smiley

Reelthing, yeah, the bike doesn't seem to mind the speed ranges.  I might pick it up a bit, as WD suggested.  

Savage Rob -- yeah, I've been letting feel and circumstance dictate my shifting also.  Of course, being completely new to riding, I just need to make sure I'm reacting correctly to said feel and circumstance.  I love this bike and don't want to take any years off its life. Grin

Thanks so much, everyone.  

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #10 - 05/12/05 at 22:32:42

way back in '86, I left fuel valve in "RES." and ran 'er dry in middle of nowhere. NOW WHAT THE He## DO I DO? I'll tell ya. lay that baby down on her left side and roll up on left peg or bar, gas remaining in right side of tank will run over to left side of tank. set 'er back up, turn fuel valve to "PRI"fire 'er up and find a gas station quick(mabey 10 mi.) hey, worked for me. next time DON'T forget to turn valve back to "RUN"

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 05/13/05 at 01:52:02

Kropatchek, I was thinking of doing something similar to what you suggested.  Perhaps when I get home, can I try moving the lever to RES and then starting it, just to see if it'll move, and then when it starts, move it back to "ON"?  (I'm not sure if PRI is a good idea, since I've ridden the bike since the time I ran out of gas, and the gas doesn't need to flow straight into the carburetor...?)  Is there any reason why I shouldn't try this?  (And after all this, wouldn't it be funny if it worked? Roll Eyes )

The floatchambers is the bottom part of the carburator, the fuelhose is connected to it. It contains, as the name suggests, a float. This is connected to a floatneedle which will shut-off the fuelflow when the floatchamber is full.
Search in the technical section which has a couple of references to other sites explaining the working of a carburator.
Now, when you run out of fuel the floatchamber is empty.
For safety reasons fuel is permitted only to flow to the carb when the engine is running. This is done by vacuum, the hose runnung from the right side of the carb to the petc0ck, which opens the c0ck in the RES and ON positions.
When you put the petc0ck on  PRI it allows fuel to run straight into the floatchamber untill the chamber is full.
In short : you dont have to start so long.

Switch to ON when the engine is running.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/13/05 at 05:12:53

I've been letting feel and circumstance dictate my shifting also.  Of course, being completely new to riding, I just need to make sure I'm reacting correctly to said feel and circumstance.  I love this bike and don't want to take any years off its life. Grin

Thanks so much, everyone.  

Hey Karen, welcome to the Savage.  It's great to have another girl onboard!  I can't offer any help and it sounds like these guys have you covered.  

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  The folks here are great and the Savage was new to all of us at one point.  I'm still terribly new myself and a real dummy when it comes to all things mechanical...

BUT, thanks to the folks here, I've changed my own oil and I'm psyching myself up for an exhaust change(SuperTrapp), air filter change (K&N Stock replacement) and carb rejetting.

If you don't mind asking, and get past that "I'm gonna look stupid" feeling, these folks can talk you through anything.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the ride.

Your bike may say Boulevard, but underneath, she's still a Savage  8)

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/13/05 at 06:49:22

Diesel -- thanks for the tip.  That's definitely something I would never have thought of.  

Kropatchek, thanks for the extra info.  I'll go look on the techincal board for more detailed explanations.

Bluejeanz -- thanks for the welcome.  I see what you mean about how great everyone is here.   Smiley

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #14 - 05/17/05 at 16:22:20

diesel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
way back in '86, I left fuel valve in "RES." and ran 'er dry in middle of nowhere. NOW WHAT THE He## DO I DO? I'll tell ya. lay that baby down on her left side and roll up on left peg or bar, gas remaining in right side of tank will run over to left side of tank. set 'er back up, turn fuel valve to "PRI"fire 'er up and find a gas station quick(mabey 10 mi.) hey, worked for me. next time DON'T forget to turn valve back to "RUN"

Another similar tidbit...

If you need to switch on the reserve tank but can't fill up right away, like maybe you're late for work, make sure you set it back to Run when you park it.

Why? So you'll remember for sure, after you finally remember to switch to Aux, to get it to  gas station, pronto.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 01:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 101 questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.