Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bad trend but doesn't really apply to all of us... (Read 10 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Bad trend but doesn't really apply to all of us...
05/05/05 at 20:59:18

WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas did a short news segment (and a nearly verbatim article) on riders over 40 having a huge increase in accidents/injuries.  While I can definitely see that occurring with the numbers of folks who go out and buy the biggest piece of butt-jewelry they can (or maybe can't) afford and just hit the streets, I don't think it is indicative of the folks who've ridden for years and just happen to be over 40 now.  I think it only marginally applies to those of us who rode for years and, for various reasons, stopped riding for a while and came back to it.  At least for me, it's the realization that my body isn't the same as when I was in my 20's and early 30's.  However, I also have better judgment than I did back then and am far less likely to take unnecessary risks.  They completely left out the 30-40 age group from their stats.  Anyway, I think it's cool to do an article, to emphasize safety equipment, and to point out that there are a lot of "boomer bikers" - some of which are very inexperienced and riding very large bikes.  I just wish they'd made it more balanced.

BTW, if you have to log in for the article, just register.  It's free.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Bad trend but doesn't really apply to all of u
Reply #1 - 05/06/05 at 04:49:47

It probably has a lot to do with people like me that are just starting back after 20+ year hiatus. It would have been real easy to buy a "big" bike or a fast bike and do something really stupid last fall when I decided to start riding again. One dealer (Honda/Suzuki) that I went to even tried to convince me that I needed at least a 1000cc bike. I hope I did the smart thing by taking the MSF class first and buying what I think is a reasonable bike.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/06/05 at 05:49:35

I think the MSF is a great idea.

I think wearing safety gear is essential.  Along with that, I think there are some good ideas out there for making yourself more noticeable to cagers - like taillight modulators, headlight modulators (or simply using your high-beam in daylight), etc.  I am beginning to agree with the "loud pipes save lives" folks myself too.  In general, anything that increases your awareness and most especially anything that increases others' awareness of your presence.

I think practicing regularly and as often as possible is crucial to developing and maintaining good habits and skills.  This includes everything from your visual scanning techniques to dodging obstacles, quick stops, etc.

I think understanding your limits and proficiencies is very helpful too.  To me, this includes such things as experience level (in various types of weather, traffic, and road surfaces), bike's weight/power vs wind, level of rest/exhaustion, etc.

There are a whole lot of other great ideas for improving your skills increasing your safety and maybe that's a good idea for a thread.  In fact, I'll start one to get input from others.  After a couple of weeks, I'll try to compile all of it and add it to the technical corner.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/06/05 at 08:26:31

In this we differ.  I am more interested in avoiding collisions than in surviving them.  Saftey gear lessens the paranoia that if I have a collision I will be hurt -- and that lessening of paranoia will make me more likely to have a collision.  Likewise, trying to make myself more visible tends to void the rightful paranoia that I am totally invisible and that others will not be trying to avoid hitting me and that it is 100% my responsibility to avoid trying to break the one basic law of physics that controls my riding.

I would rather not trust anyone or anything when it comes to my riding.  I want nothing that will lull me into thinking that someone might see me and actually try to avoid me.  Nor lull me into thinking I might survive an accident unharmed.  I rather have the sure knowledge that I will be hurt if I drop the bike to keep me from doing anything that would lead to dropping the bike.

Basic law of physics:  two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time -- don't try.

WWW   IP Logged
mrbusdriver
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/06/05 at 08:33:08

I'm one of them "new old farts" amd chose to forego the big machines for something more sensible and fun. I am cautious by nature and determined long ago that everyong on the road is out to get me personally, regardless of the vehicle I am in or on. I ride accordingly, within my limits, expecting the worst.
It's just a common sense thing, you're terribly vulnerable on a bike, and it's smart to do whatever you can to tilt the odds in your favor. I have a neon green/black JR jacket, white helmet, brights on always. May not be "totally cool", but I'm alive and riding.
Dave, 03 Savage, anout 700 miles aboard...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/06/05 at 08:42:22

I try to ride as if I was undressed AND invisible.

I have the brights on in the daytime, I wear a waterbuffalo leather jacket (even in the summer), and a police-spec helmet. My pipe is loud, the horn works, the signals work.

I've been riding back and forth to work the past two days. I've almost been hit 4 times already.  Angry  Just a fact of riding in western Washington traffic, too many cages, going too fast, on too little road.

You ARE a nude, invisible target as far as car versus you is concerned. Dress/ride accordingly.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 05/06/05 at 10:30:36

I'll bet if you really rode undressed they'd start to notice.

Shocked

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 05/06/05 at 10:44:05

Not in California!  A decade or so ago my 16-y-o cousin was visiting from the Seatle area, we're driving down Hawthorne Blvd (3 lanes each way, Major street) in Torrance evening rush hour.  A lady was walking down the side totally naked except for shoes.  Cousin wigged out, "She's naked!"  I glance, "Yep!"  and got back to driving as traffic did not slow down.  It takes more than naked to get our attention.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/06/05 at 10:53:00

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
In this we differ.  I am more interested in avoiding collisions than in surviving them.  Saftey gear lessens the paranoia that if I have a collision I will be hurt -- and that lessening of paranoia will make me more likely to have a collision.  Likewise, trying to make myself more visible tends to void the rightful paranoia that I am totally invisible and that others will not be trying to avoid hitting me and that it is 100% my responsibility to avoid trying to break the one basic law of physics that controls my riding.

I would rather not trust anyone or anything when it comes to my riding.  I want nothing that will lull me into thinking that someone might see me and actually try to avoid me.  Nor lull me into thinking I might survive an accident unharmed.  I rather have the sure knowledge that I will be hurt if I drop the bike to keep me from doing anything that would lead to dropping the bike.

Basic law of physics:  two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time -- don't try.

Actually, I agree fully with riding like I'm naked on a freeway packed with Hummers driven by Helen Keller clones.  However, I use safety gear because I prefer to hedge my bets wherever possible.

sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 05/06/05 at 10:56:46

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Not in California!  A decade or so ago my 16-y-o cousin was visiting from the Seatle area, we're driving down Hawthorne Blvd (3 lanes each way, Major street) in Torrance evening rush hour.  A lady was walking down the side totally naked except for shoes.  Cousin wigged out, "She's naked!"  I glance, "Yep!"  and got back to driving as traffic did not slow down.  It takes more than naked to get our attention.  

now if my wife would have been barefooted she would have gotten more attention.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #10 - 05/06/05 at 11:47:14

We'll I just ordered a new leather riding jacket and chaps the other night.  I figure at my age the skin will take longer than I want to grow back.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 05/06/05 at 11:53:51

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
We'll I just ordered a new leather riding jacket and chaps the other night.  

enough about your sex life, what do you ride in. Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/06/05 at 12:02:35

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

ROFLMAO

gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #13 - 05/06/05 at 12:05:54

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

if he wears them for sex do we really want to know what he wears to ride Grin

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #14 - 05/06/05 at 12:32:34

Birthday Suit rider? Owch... all those little rocks, bugs... etc.. hitting at 50mph+.... no thanks!

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:47:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad trend but doesn't really apply to all of us...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.