Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brake master cylinder (Read 8 times)
za16866
Ex Member

brake master cylinder
05/02/05 at 12:10:11

Hey gang...heres a good one...  
 i have a master cylinder that is acting very sluggish...  
what i mean is..  the piston that goes in and out when the handle is operated...  does not return to the all out position..  which in turn lets the handlever become very loose...  at times it will slowly return to the all out position..  and the brake handle is fine..  am i looking a a case of a  master cylinder wearing out.?  i do not see any dirt or rust in the reservor that may be keeping the piston from working smoothly..
in all of it's quirkyness....  the brake pressure is fine...  i hit the brake lever..  and she stops no problem...  any suggestions??

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Re: brake master cylinder
Reply #1 - 05/02/05 at 21:40:32

try lubing pivot pin, mabey?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/03/05 at 00:25:04

Remove the lever. Be very careful, the switch is ultra fragile. Push the piston in with a dowel or phillips screwdriver. As far as you possibly can. Odds are, you've got some minor (perfectly normal) seepage and corrosion sludge built up in the bore. Clean everything out with a cotton swab and some high test alcohol (Everclear works great, just don't drink it... Tongue) if you have no denatured alcohol handy. Or even swab it with some clean brake fluid. ALL motorcycle master cylinders "weep" a bit in hot weather, basically enough to make things sticky but not otherwise affect operation. If the area is reall gooped up, you may need a new piston seal. From the hardware store, it's just a 10 cent o-ring or two. Let the piston out, dab some grease or )preferably) soap on the top and bottom of the lever pivot points. Grease the bolt, reassemble everything. Keep your toes crossed (your hands are too full to cross your fingers) that the brake light switch is still in one piece. Did I mention it is ultra fragile?? and will snap off if you breathe on it too hard?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/05 at 06:13:46

thanks a bunch to both of you... i did lube the pivot pin when i noticed it the other day...  but i did not do what WD has suggested... i will work on that tonight...   ultra fragile..  got ya...  VERY VERY FRAGILE.....i do need to remember that..  i have this tendency to bust fragile things....   Shocked
i'll let ya know how i make out...  thanks again..

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 05/03/05 at 15:16:33

If the brake master cylinder is leaking or does not build-up any pressure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4547136910...

Hope to be of service

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/05 at 07:45:26

thanks to all .....
especially WD......I took it all apart last evening..  and lo and behold..  it was full of crap..dirt etc...  the seals were fine..  but with all the gummed up sludge in there it was not moving smoothly..  so i did a shot of everclear.. Shocked  gave the bike a shot or two which cleaned everything up very nicely...  put her all back together ..  AND I DIDN'T BREAK THE SWITCH.... Grin   now it works just like a new one..  thank you all for replying..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 09:04:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake master cylinder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.