Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb guru needed (Read 5 times)
timk
Ex Member

carb guru needed
05/01/05 at 17:16:26

After loaning my Savage out for a few days, it came back running bad. After a new  plug, it would start and idle good, but didn't want to take any throttle. It would just stall, unless I used the choke. Once underway, it will run very well, till you stop and come back to a idle. I also replaced the white washer with one half it's thickness. The brass plug is out of the carb, and when screwing it in, I get the engine to slow down, but can't get the throttle to respond off-idle no natter how many turns out I go. I need some ideas or thoughts on the pilot jet. Has anyone went to a larger pilot jet to get the motorcycle to respond. Would this be a symptom of a plugged pilot jet?  BTW I have a sportster muffler on it, but have had it on for over a year, with no ill effects, other than the annoying pop under decelleration/ between shifts occasionally. Am running a stock air filter, with no mods to the airbox. Also, I found some(2oz) old gas in the box drain when I removed the plug. Any help appreciated. BTW, it's a 98 model.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: carb guru needed
Reply #1 - 05/02/05 at 04:33:23

Below is a note I picked up - you might make real sure the slide is back in correct, clean, the rubber gasket is in the ring proper, the 4 cap screws didn't vibrate lose (I replaced these with allen hexhead stainless as the philps will strip out) and  then ....

A damaged diaphragm will have symptoms of the motor being able to idle well but not being able to take ANY throttle. If you think you may have a damaged diaphragm, check for any pinholes with a bright light behind the rubber, pulling on the edges to stretch the diaphragm a bit. If you find any, you must replace the entire slide/diaphragm assembly

IP Logged
timk
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/05 at 07:43:27

Had the carb off the bike. Carb was immaculate inside. Pulled pilot fuel jet, it was clean. Double checked the diaphram with a light behind it, it was as new. I don't completely understand the CV part of the carb. There are 2 air jets under the diaphram area, manual mentions only one. Anyhow, on another thread, it mentions cleaning the slide. Just wondering, if the symptoms I'm experiencing could be some sluggish movement in the CV unit/slide itself? How should it react if iewed with the engine running, pulsating, steady, and what is it supposed to do when the throttle is whacked open. Is this cv carb the reason the motorcycle don't require a accelerator pump, like the SR500?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 05/05/05 at 07:55:44

how does it run with the petc0ck set on prime?

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/05/05 at 09:36:07

Have you made any progress with the carb?  With the symtoms you discribed, running before lending the bike and then problems after you got it back, runs a bit better with choke on...most likely something is blocking the passages in there.  If you have it apart you should take all the jets out of the carb body and blow out the passages with compressed air.  If you do not have air, then very carefully use tiny wire (with the plastic insulation still on it) of plastic toothpicks, or something similar, and run all the passages to make sure they are all clear.  Then check the float for any holes, or evidence of it leaking.
Give it a try, it's fun and satisfying!!

IP Logged
timk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/05 at 09:28:53

Got it fixed. Turns out the slide had some carbon buildup on it. Thanks to all who responded, and for the ideas from the other post on this subject.
                Tim Krantz

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 05/09/05 at 11:14:49

Beware The dreaded demon carbon build-up!   Shocked

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 18:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb guru needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.