Send Topic Print
Polishing (Read 6 times)
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Polishing
04/29/05 at 15:30:18

Hey guys (and girls)

I have a qiuickie for you all, I have got a wonderfull polishing kit from e-bay mainly for my ZX but I thought hey, polish my engine..... (are people brains ticking away?)... Now what i would like to do is.... WAIT FOR IT........... polish STEEL. yes steel, and not the stainless kind. Would this work and if it did, would a coat of laquer stop it rusting.... im just guessing here....

I know its a bit far out there but im thinking frame....

Cheers  Grin

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Polishing
Reply #1 - 04/29/05 at 16:04:37

It will work, you will wind up w/ a reflective grayish  finsh, and coat it w/ something tough. Laquer is better than nothing, a good  exterior or marine polyurethane clear coat would likely do better. Make sure it will work on bare metal. Instead of trying to get a slick reflective finish,
scotch-brite it usising WD-40 so that it has a nice satin finish for a lot less work, Alway stroke it parellel to the centerline of the pipe w/o crosshatch (like  when taking "herman to the circus") then clear powder coating is a thick, very tough finish that looks great. Wink

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/30/05 at 13:36:36

I believe that Harley has a model with a clearcoated bare metal tank....the emblem or such is even etched in the tank metal.  I could be wrong...

Might be an interesting look if done right.  Any chance to get it glass beaded?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 04/30/05 at 13:47:43

I've sandblasted old tools and clear-coated them - like parts for old Stanley planes.  Looks surprisingly decent - like a really good silver paint job.

I just made a shifter for my truck this morning, did it the same way.

Got the idea from the Harley shop down the street.  Greg's right, the clear-over-steel looks really good.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/30/05 at 20:13:54

In the last couple of weeks one of the people on the "Build or Bust" show did the fenders by just having the steel fenders polished and then using a clearcoat...they were really nice...highly polished, looked like polished stainless but just a bit darker.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 08:14:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Polishing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.