Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cutting threads (Read 1 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

cutting threads
04/28/05 at 11:08:31

Does anyone know about cutting threads on a peice of steel rod?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: cutting threads
Reply #1 - 04/28/05 at 11:35:04

Not sure what you are asking about here, but here's an attempt to answer the basics.

Cutting threads is usually done (by home mechanics) with a die turned by hand with a handle/holder. (If you buy a tap and die set you get several sizes of both and the handles to turn them) You need the proper size rod for the thread you are going to cut.

The steel you are going to use makes a big difference in both the job and the final product.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/28/05 at 11:54:01

Yes, I need to cut a new threaded rod for the shift linkage. I need one that is longer than the original to account for the forward controls. I will need to cut one side left hand threads and one side right hand threads. Do you know what type of steel I would use for this? And are there special dies for left handed threads?
I ordered on online but it will take 4-6 weeks to be cut.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 04/28/05 at 12:40:11

You should check with a mechanical engineer. They would probably recommend/use a "stressed tool steel." This kind of steel is relatively easy to obtain and machine. They might recommend an alloy depending on the look you want (and the tensile strength you/they want). Not sure what the minimum diameter available is (or what the linkage size is) for stressed rounds, but I think it is pretty small.

Yes there are separate dies available/necessary for left or right thread. As you have figured out the piece you're talking about is a turnbuckle with right hand thread at one end and left at the other.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/28/05 at 13:33:03

This sounds expensinve  Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/28/05 at 13:46:39

I know the piece you're talking about and if it were me, I'd take it into my local ACE Hardware.  They have 3 or 4 older guys there that can make pretty much any simple item you need in the little shop in the back.  I'd probably just use a stainless rod and make a spare while I'm at it.

But yes, it does take a die specifically made for lefty threads to cut those.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/28/05 at 13:54:52

I cant think of any other ways to make this other than threading a new rod. All Ideas are welcome?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 04/28/05 at 16:52:44

Instead of having a whole new rod made how about having a short rod made that has right hand threads on both ends that are the same as the orignal and have a threaded coupling made to connect the two rods. Or      just cut the rod and weld a longer piece in. Probably simpler to take the stock rod in to a machine shop and have them make a longer one.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #8 - 04/29/05 at 02:14:51

you can buy rod already threaded Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/29/05 at 05:20:47

That is one item that I'd have thought to be included in the forward controls package....and what average person has the needed metric dies in their toolbox.  I believe the threads are 6 x 1.0 MM threads with one left and one right hand end.  

You can have it cut and rewelded or have a new one fabricated, but I wonder if there is another cruiser with a longer linkage that would fit.  Just a thought.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #10 - 04/29/05 at 19:37:36

Use stainless steel unless you plan on chroming it or it will rust like all hell. A left hand die is a specialty item and may be hard to come by. I would check with McMaster-Carr or if you know someone that is in metal working they may have a supplier. Use cutting oil like "Tap Magic" or similar and make sure to keep the die square when starting. A lathe would be the best for this just don't cut the thread under power.

Personally I would look thru my local dealer showroom and find a bike that has the right length and order one.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #11 - 04/29/05 at 20:26:43

I am a cheap basturd I would go to lowes buy a SS left and right thread to match my needs and a length of same dia rod. cut the bolt heads off and cut the rod to the size I need and mig it all together, but then again I work at a plating/machine shop and can grind it true blast and chrome it when it is done. Just my thoughts 8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/29/05 at 21:20:05

Umm, you can make the rod for a buck or so...

When the cheap factory linkage on mine snapped, I cut a chunk out of a battery hold down J-bolt. Threaded one end into the heim joint, welded the other one. You can get really long metric threaded battery hold down bolts at any good auto parts store.

I actually priced the dies for making the rods. I'd have to make a couple thousand of them to justify the cost...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 09:11:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cutting threads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!