Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with engine problem (Read 9 times)
russ

Help with engine problem
04/16/05 at 18:29:43

Ok what's going on???  I had my bike out last week after having it parked for the winter.  Was running fine and then all of a sudden started choking and coughing when I apply throttle.  I pulled over to a gas station and stared at it for ten minutes waiting for god to fix it............he didn't.  It will idle and start fine but when i go to give it some throttle it's like it's not getting enough gas or air.  Sounds bogged down.  I pulled it over to the pumps and put in some 91 octane as it was possible bad gas from sitting all winter.  That seemed to fix it up and it ran fine for me home.  So this past week thought i'd do some basic maintenance.  Pulled/drained the tank and removed the petcock to check the filter (which was ok) and replaced fuel with fresh.  I changed the air filter and gas line.  Just took it out and it started up fine.  Got about half a klick away and went to get up to highway speed and blaahhh.  Same thing.  Stared at it for another 20 minutes and god still didn't fix it for me.  I was able to limp home with the choke out.  It still didn't have any power but wasn't as bad as with the choke in.  The line going to the carb looks ok but I will change that too now.  But does anyone have any ideas??  It's bike riding time - i want to get this resolved asap

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Help with engine problem
Reply #1 - 04/16/05 at 18:44:35

try running it in the prime position. this will allow gravity flow into carb vs. vaccum assist.  if it runs fine on prime, i would look into the vaccum line.  vacuum lines "look" fine even when theres a problem..

btw  i didn't know god was a motorcycle mechinic  8).

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #2 - 04/16/05 at 18:55:10

LOL at Sluggo  Grin

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
russ

Reply #3 - 04/16/05 at 19:41:10

Oh ya - God's a great mechanic!  It's just getting him to look at the problem that's an issue.  Anyway - does the same thing in prime postion.  Spark problem?  Wonder why it does it when warm and not cold?

IP Logged
russ

Reply #4 - 04/16/05 at 20:00:39

Such a simple bike.........  Seems my options are the carb or something electrical.  Bike only has 5000K on it.  I did change to a warmer plug last year but it ran fine rest of the season.  Anyway, that's the simplest and cheapest place to start.  I'll yank the tank and change the plug tomorrow.  But if anyone else has any thoughts feel free to throw them out there.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/16/05 at 20:16:00

It is either vacuum line, fuel tap vacuum diaphragm, or dirty fuel passages in the carb. Probably the vacuum line.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/17/05 at 08:12:23

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
btw  i didn't know god was a motorcycle mechinic  8).

If God was involved with this, then he'd have given us wheels and more horsepower.

8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/17/05 at 08:21:44

russ wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Such a simple bike.........  Seems my options are the carb or something electrical.  Bike only has 5000K on it.  I did change to a warmer plug last year but it ran fine rest of the season.  Anyway, that's the simplest and cheapest place to start.  I'll yank the tank and change the plug tomorrow.  But if anyone else has any thoughts feel free to throw them out there.

It is a simple bike, so let's keep it simple.  Don't change the plug or pull the tank unless you just like the exercise.  It starts and runs, so it isn't the actual gasoline or the plug.

First ask yourself, why does it start and run but then act strange down the road?

Will the bike start in the driveway?  If so, then start her up.  Let it run until it is hot and off choke.  Let it run a good 5 minutes.  Still running?

Let's start there....what happened?  What position is the petc0ck in?  Do you have an inline fuel filter?

IP Logged
Russ

Ignition coil
Reply #8 - 04/17/05 at 08:23:02

After removing the tank I've discovered that the ignition coil screws have vibrated loose.  I'm not sure how robust these are but I'm going to try the impedance tests as per the clymer manual.  As far as carb or fuel/vacuum lines - i'd think the bike would run lousy when warm or cold.  Ignition coil, however, may only be affecting the bike as it heats up.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/17/05 at 08:24:12

Ah, I was too late  Tongue

IP Logged
Russ

Reply #10 - 04/17/05 at 13:41:44

The bike will always start.  It idles fine even after warmed up and with the choke off.  I've tried the pet thingy in all three positions and it's the same.  And i was wrong - it was doing it this morning while cold as well.  Again it's just when I open up the throttle it bogs down.........  Just now however I had the seat off and was messing with the air intake and it's now working fine again.  So where to now.  Someone mentioned the petcock diaphram - What about my carb?  Everything is stock and the bike is a 96 but only with 5000k.  I have no idea what the previous owner did maintenance wise.  Bought it last summer and everything was fine.  Is there a "carburator kit" one would use to rebuild the carb or???

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 04/18/05 at 01:33:26

Read to all the messages. Think that the diafragm in the carburator is the problem. Remove the top of the carburator and check if the rubber diafragm does not have a hole in it. Also check if the sleeve is not stuck.
For parts breakdown see www.ronayers.com .

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/18/05 at 02:27:03

Kropatchek, I'd posted almost the same thing, and then decided not to spook him with the carb slide and diaphragm, so I deleted it. But since you so kindly brought it up, I'll add that Savage owners should put a couple ounces of two stroke oil or ATF or MarvelMystery oil or even motor oil in each tank of gas. Keeps the carb slide from sticking. Don't know why, don't know how, don't care. I just know that it works.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #13 - 04/18/05 at 06:43:48

@WD
Who are we that we can understand EVERYTHING. Embarrassed

Greetz

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 04/18/05 at 08:04:11

If I understend right , the bike was running fine. After that all of a sudden the bike started to bog down when givving a gas. The waiting and staring did not help. Switching to different positions of the f. valve did not make a difference. BUT WHEN YOU HAD THE SEAT OFF AND MESS UP WITH THE INTAKE the bike ran fine.
Why don't You check for some obstruchion in the intake. You have a bunch of wires there. Something might have pressed on the opening of the rubber intake and closed it. Some people like to keep stuff under the seat right where the intake is.
 Make sure everything is put together correct , put the seat back and go try the bike. Let us know what happened.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 03:54:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with engine problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.