tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
stalling and hesitation
04/08/05 at 19:04:56

i came up w/ two issues today...

1) after warming the bike up w/ the choke partially out....the bike stalled out.

after 5 minutes and fiddling around w/ the idle speed and mixture screws(i turned it in a half a turn) it finally started and ran.  I did a quick 3 mile ride around the area and found...

2) that in 2nd gear i was gettin a bit of hesitation while accelerating almost as if it was about to run out of gas...but then I would shift up to 3rd and it would run fine.  (by hesitation i mean that during acceleration the bike didn't accelerate in a consistent manner...like i was pumping the throttle)

my questions are why did it stall out? and why is it hesitating during acceleration in 2nd.  never got to test it out in 3rd gear cuz of traffic.  

bike ran perfect aside from those issues.  i also left it uncovered while it was raining but i don't think that has anything to do w/ the issues(but u never know).  And it ran perfectly before it rained.  

thanks

IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Re: stalling and hesitation
Reply #1 - 04/08/05 at 19:50:14

hmmmm ....I had a similar problem, especially the 2nd gear hesitation stuff and conking out when one of the battery terminals was slightly loose. Just an idea...

Larry

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/09/05 at 07:09:30

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

1) after warming the bike up w/ the choke partially out....the bike stalled out.

after 5 minutes and fiddling around w/ the idle speed and mixture screws(i turned it in a half a turn) it finally started and ran.  I did a quick 3 mile ride around the area and found...

2) that in 2nd gear i was gettin a bit of hesitation while accelerating almost as if it was about to run out of gas...but then I would shift up to 3rd and it would run fine.  (by hesitation i mean that during acceleration the bike didn't accelerate in a consistent manner...like i was pumping the throttle)

my questions are why did it stall out? and why is it hesitating during acceleration in 2nd.  never got to test it out in 3rd gear cuz of traffic.  

bike ran perfect aside from those issues.  i also left it uncovered while it was raining but i don't think that has anything to do w/ the issues(but u never know).  And it ran perfectly before it rained.  

thanks

At what point did you turn off the choke?  

What I read is that you warmed it up with a partial choke, it stalled, you messed with the mixture and idle, it started, you rode it, it hesitated, and you went home....no where do you mention turning off the choke.

Uncovered in the rain shouldn't hurt anything besides the appearance

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #3 - 04/09/05 at 13:16:40

oops i turned the choke off after the bike died.  by then the engine was warmed up.  

at first i was only able to start it while turning the throttle a lil.

happened this afternoon again.

the bike started fine this morning, and this time I pullled out the choke all the way and let it warm up for like a minute then turned the choke off.  on my way to work....no hesistation bike ran perfect.  after work, i turned on the choke for like 10 seconds to start the bike and warm it up.  then i turned it off and rode out....at the stop light my revs started to go back down and it stalled out.   i managed to start it again while turning the throttle.  i had to maintain a lil pressure on the throttle to keep it from stalling and i could feel hesistation during 2nd gear for only a little bit....after about 5 minutes i could let go of the throttle and it would idle fine.  

oh yah!  while I was trying to start it at the stop light(it was red....thank goodness)  turning the choke on did not help at all.....

am i running too lean or rich?  upon shutting off the bike i got a lil backfire.....not too loud just a nice pop.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/09/05 at 13:46:18

Lean, back the mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 turn over where it is set now. Thumpers shake hard enogh where sometimes pieces can seem to change settings at random or at will.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/10/05 at 08:01:15

Thought so....

Since you found the issue with the choke (leaving it on too long) now you may need to put the other adjustments back the way they were in the beginning of all this.  Adjust the air screw to the highest idle speed, and then adjust the idle speed back down to about 1200 (lowest smooth running speed, if you don't have a tach)

IP Logged
william Hutt

Reply #6 - 05/04/05 at 08:50:28

I have the same problem with my bike.  Mine is intermmittent.  I can ride all morning long no problems, then when I get back on it in the afternoon, i'll be riding along about 45MPH start to feel some bucking(surges) as though its not getting gas pull in the clutch and it dies.  I then have a hard time starting it.  

I have tried high octain gas, no help.
Remove white spacer and adjusted carb, no help.
Found a bad spark plug, replaced it, Problem still there.
Replaced ignition module(ignitor), Problem still there.

Reversed the white spacer and carb adjustments due to black smoke produced after the spark plug was replaced, smoke went away but problem still there.

I am starting to think that maybe the fuel filter in the tank may be getting restricted or trash in the carb bowl.

Anyone have any other ideas?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #7 - 05/04/05 at 09:34:22

unless you added a fuel filter there isn't one.

it does sound like a loose electrical connection.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/05 at 10:10:16

While i didn't have the exact problems you're having it may be worth checking the diaphram and or the "plunger" in the carb.  In my case the plunger had some gunk built up on it that was restricting it's movement.  Mine was intermittent as well.  I just removed it and cleaned it up with some gas and it's been fine ever since.  Or you might want to check the diaphram closely for a small hole.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/04/05 at 10:10:41

william Hutt wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I have the same problem with my bike.  Mine is intermmittent.  I can ride all morning long no problems, then when I get back on it in the afternoon, i'll be riding along about 45MPH start to feel some bucking(surges) as though its not getting gas pull in the clutch and it dies.  I then have a hard time starting it.  

I have tried high octain gas, no help.
Remove white spacer and adjusted carb, no help.
Found a bad spark plug, replaced it, Problem still there.
Replaced ignition module(ignitor), Problem still there.

Reversed the white spacer and carb adjustments due to black smoke produced after the spark plug was replaced, smoke went away but problem still there.

I am starting to think that maybe the fuel filter in the tank may be getting restricted or trash in the carb bowl.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Easy thing to check is the connections to the coil, these connectors can get a bit lose and cause odd running however as described and since you have had the diaphragm/slide out of the carb this sounds like a hanging slide to me. It dies and is hard to start when you pull in the clutch because it floods the engine because the slide did not close the needle jet as much as it should because the slide is hanging toward the bottom of it's travel because the spring the was not centered on the cover, or the slide was a little dirty, say from oil on your hands, when it was reinstalled or the rubber was not seated correctly in the grove.  

I would pull the slide back out of the carb and with a clean paper towel rub it down real clean and wipe out the tube the slide fits in - if that paper towel is dirty when your done it'd bet that was the root issue - this does get worse was the bike gets hotter - I guess the slide expands more than the aluminum tube it fits in and the tolerance closes.

Chased this down twice now you'd think I'd learn!      

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #10 - 05/04/05 at 10:26:00

switch on Carl-from-Slingblade-voice

[glow=red,2,300]emm...Ain't got no gaes in it, switch on the reserve [/glow]

..sorry I couldn't resist,  Grin

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

thanks

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
William Hutt

Reply #11 - 05/05/05 at 06:00:04

I believe it is the vaccum line to the gas thingy and this is why.  I was riding last night when it started stalling and hesitating.  I reached down and put the tank on prime, this bypasses the vaccum line which is required on reserve and main settings.  In other words, no vaccum no gas on those two settings.   It took mabey 10 seconds and I was rolling again.  I switch the tank back to main several more times and ended up switching back to prime to keep me rolling.  If nothing else its repeatable.  

I am going replace the vaccum line and see if that helps.
I am thinking(hoping) that the line is colapsing from heat or age.  The bike is a 1998.

Any thoughts?  

The above was done on a full tank of gas, gas filter cleaned, flushed gas tank, added clear gas line to make sure gas was getting to carb, Cleaned vent holes in gas cap, made sure vaccum line was open on carb end,  made sure I could not suck gas from the gas thingy end, and carb vaccum line to gas thingy secured.

If your wounder if there was gas in the line when it started acting up the answer is yes.  Remember when you where a kid and you stuck a straw down in a glass of water then put your finger tip over the end then pulled the straw out of the glass. The water would stay in the straw until you took you finger off the end.   The same  thing appears to be happening here.  When the gas thingy is on Main or Res it requires that the finger be removed(vaccum present) to let the gas flow.  This explains why there can be gas in the line but can't get into the carb when there is no vaccum present at the gas thingy

No Vaccum at gas thingy = Finger over end of straw.    

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 05/06/05 at 07:01:14

switch on Carl-from-Slingblade-voice

[glow=red,2,300]Ya reckon it was suckin flat?
Needs a new 'un.
ah-ight  den [/glow]  Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/06/05 at 14:51:25

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
unless you added a fuel filter there isn't one.

it does sound like a loose electrical connection.

I'm sorry Sunny, but Mr. Hutt is right.
There is a built in fuel filter inside the gas tank attached to the end of the petc*ck

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 05/06/05 at 15:02:54

As well as a little screen in the carb above float needle - but I've not had to go that far into the carb yet -

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 12:39:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stalling and hesitation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.