Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
YET ANOTHER 'seat' related thred, sorry (Read 7 times)
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
YET ANOTHER 'seat' related thred, sorry
04/08/05 at 16:41:07

Sorry i know theres loads in here about the seat, but cant find the answer to this one...

I just got a brand new stock seat, Has anyone removed the leather and had a look inside? I want to remove all foam and put a very thin hard foam inside and re-cover, so i looses the height and i get that low rider feel back... anyone messed about with this.. If anyone has a photo of just the bear seat plate, I would love to have a look before im back at my garage on the 18th Smiley cheers all...

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: YET ANOTHER 'seat' related thred, sorry
Reply #1 - 04/08/05 at 17:10:41

i've got one opened up in the shop, i'll go out later and shoot a pictue for you.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/08/05 at 17:11:07

The seat pan is just a piece of molded plastic...wait...are you talking about a new '05 seat or one for your model year?
By the way, I love the pic of the umbrella sticking out of the tank.
What did you get the forks from?  I like that look too.  I have a set of NOS Ceriani forks that will be going on my bike VERY SOON,  along with new Progressive shocks for the rear.

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #3 - 04/08/05 at 17:18:49

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
i've got one opened up in the shop, i'll go out later and shoot a pictue for you.

Cheers, thats Great, can you get one of the profile too please? Smiley

IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #4 - 04/08/05 at 17:19:37

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The seat pan is just a piece of molded plastic...wait...are you talking about a new '05 seat or one for your model year?
By the way, I love the pic of the umbrella sticking out of the tank.
What did you get the forks from?  I like that look too.  I have a set of NOS Ceriani forks that will be going on my bike VERY SOON,  along with new Progressive shocks for the rear.

Front end from A ducati 740 and wheel from a Cagiva Mito, What do you NOS forks Look Like?? Have any photos or a link?? and Thanks for the compliments...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/10/05 at 01:05:51

I redid my seat exactly that method you asked about. 2 layers of Ensolite camping pad covered with waterbuffalo leather. Works good.  Cheesy

As for the inside of the seat, if you are in soggy old England... the cheap vinyl cover is porous. The inside of the upholstered top should be solid mildew. The foam will be either soggy or growing fungus of various neat sizes and colors. The white plastic seat pan should show stress marks, it is pretty flimsy. If you plan to do the rebuild on that pan, reinforce it with some fiberglass, it will be stronger, smoother, and you won't need as much foam. Wish I'd done mine that way, would have let the foam go on smoother, with less leather bunching to fight with. Too late now.
-WD
Look on the poster's map, the seat is on my scoot in all 3 photos.

New new seat, or new to you seat? If it is a used seat, just new to you, wear a dust mask when you take it apart... New new, just strip and go from there. Sorry.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LondonThing
2005 No Login

London UK
Reply #6 - 04/10/05 at 01:33:51

Thanks, its new to me but looks like its just come out of the packaging, It was on a bike that only did 15,000 miles, i think a 98 or 99 model, garaged all its life i belive. Same place i got my new engine and loom from. It feels like it has a plastic lining, so when u sit on it, has nappie type sound and feel (dyper, if thats how u spell it)  Grin, ill post some photos when im done Smiley Oooo and any of funky mould if there is any Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/10/05 at 01:44:19

Diaper.  Grin

That plastic over the foam has holes in it...

The fungus/mold/mildew spores get in it during the manufacturing process. The seat cover leaks anytime the bike gets wet, even from washing. The inside if my stock cover was solid black mildew, the seat foam had pink, green, black, orange, and yellow mushrooms and shelf fungi growing on it. Cool, disgusting, quite a stench, but very cool.  8)

The seat rebuild took roughly 3 square feet of 3/8" foam, by the time I got everything pieced together. Pan shape makes for some odd cutting. I think the rough piece of hide was 18"X24". Again, some funky cutting involved. I wish I'd done a better job on mine, it has two highly annoying (visible) stitch lines on the back of the seat. Oh, use stainles steel sheetmetal screws with flat washers to secure the cover, 1/4-3/8 inchers, I'd post the metric size, but don't remember the conversion formula, at any rate, the screws should be as long as one layer of foam is thick. Takes a lot of screws and washers, but, staple gun staples don't hold up as well.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN