Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chrome Plating (Read 7 times)
Tom Stephens

Chrome Plating
04/03/05 at 08:44:49

Let's say I found a Savage 650 project bike.  What would you estimate the cost would be to re-chrome anything that was originally chromed (nothing extra), including any nuts and bolts, but NOT including the following:
Any engine parts, handlebars, wheels, exhaust pipe.

$100, $300, $500, $800?

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.  I like the idea of a project bike, but want to make sure I am not wasting my money.

Some items that WOULD be included are:
Turn signal bullets, drive belt cover, headlight, any front and rear shock parts that are originally chromed, mirrors (may be cheaper to just buy new ones), battery box covers, sissy bar holders (whatever they are called, the ones on the sides of the rear fender), any brackets and nuts and bolts.

Tom

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Re: Chrome Plating
Reply #1 - 04/03/05 at 08:48:01

Hmm,

I wasn't paying attention and thought the post would go in under my username, TVRacer, but it went in under my real name as a guest.  Oh, well, no matter Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/03/05 at 10:07:53

Forget about nuts and bolts....you can buy all the chrome nuts and bolts that you want on the internet too.

IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #3 - 04/03/05 at 10:55:21

Greg,

Oh duh!  Did I think of that  Roll Eyes  Thanks!!

OK, so what about the other stuff?

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/03/05 at 13:59:36

Headlight shell body, turn signals, battery box lid are "chromed" plastic. They need to go to a specialty shop, that does metal vapor deposition coatings. The other bits would need to have a reverse electrolosis bath, and go through a heavy copper, heavy nickel, 2 minute chromium dip, if you want the chrome to last. The stock chrome is very soft (thin). Go get a Road Bike, Street Choppers, or related motorcycle magazine. Contact the platers who advertise in them. A regular local rechroming shop isn't going to want to messwith a half dozen pieces off a motorcycle.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 04/03/05 at 20:09:00

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Go get a Road Bike, Street Choppers, or related motorcycle magazine. Contact the platers who advertise in them. A regular local rechroming shop isn't going to want to messwith a half dozen pieces off a motorcycle.
-WD

Amen to that.  I ran a Nickel line about 10 years ago, plating rollers for a company in Houston.  You do not want  the regular mass-plating folks working on your one-off stuff.  It will get lost or messed up.  The custom crowd will do a better job.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/04/05 at 01:33:48

I learned it the hard way.  Sad Cost me a frame and primary cover for an original 1936 EL (61 cubic inch) Knucklehead chopper restoration. Nothing against the guys who plate bumpers, rollers, and related for a living, they have to eat too. BUT, if you want bike parts to keep their unique characteristics, they MUST go to a restoration or custom plater. There is a plating shop in Surrey, British Columbia (western Canada), that does world class work for a fraction of US custom plating prices. When I say world class, I mean chrome that Arlen Ness would drool to get his hands on. Show grade triple plate for the cost of utility plate in the States. If I liked chrome, that's who I would use. But, any of the bike chroming shops will do an equal quality job, and they are scattered throughout the USA and western Europe.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #7 - 04/04/05 at 16:12:29

Thanks WD for the info regarding what is plastic chromed.  The rusting won't be a problem with the plastic chrome.  The project bike (haven't bought) has a fair amount of rust, that's why the questions.

I think some of the parts would be cheaper to buy either new or find on eBay.

Also thanks guys for the warning about not going to chrome bumper shops.

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/04/05 at 16:34:48

The last bunch of guys I knew that were doing small batch stuff where taking them over the border to Mexico. Mucho cheap they claimed. Mainly due to lax Environmental laws.... I see if I can find who they were. I think they were doing some stuff for people in batches and bringing them back and forth. Seemed decent quality but I never saw a peice up close that I know of. Just pictures.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/04/05 at 16:52:07

TVRacer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I think some of the parts would be cheaper to buy either new or find on eBay.

Ebay for sure - looks like the better part of a '97 is out there now - engine as well

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 00:38:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chrome Plating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.