Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Carb Jet type
03/28/05 at 05:54:45

My Carb seems to have a different main jet than the dealer wants to give me for Mikuni BS40 he says it should use this jet

But the carb has one of these in it now @ 147.5 with a fairly thick brass washer - I want to give 152.5 a go - what's the deal on these sizes?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Carb Jet type
Reply #1 - 03/28/05 at 05:57:09

The bottom is what mine has and what I used when I rejetted.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 03/28/05 at 06:07:47

Mine had the thick one originally, but I used the smaller ones when I was playing with the jetting.  It still has a smaller one in it.  It fits and holds the washer in just fine.  Appearance is different, but it works.

FYI - My nearest bike shop only had Keihin jets - they work and fit, too, and look like the smaller picture.  The numbers are not the same, though.  a 155 Keihin was about the same as my 145 Mikuni.  Mikunit is in it now, a 155.

(I measured the jets with drill bits - NOT turning at the time.  I know it ain't exactly right, but it worked for me)

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/28/05 at 06:33:57

I was wondering if maybe the dispersal pattern might be different between the smaller and larger diameter heads.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/28/05 at 06:43:09

Don't argue with Your dealer. Just tell him You want  BIG ROUND MIKUNI JET 152.5 and that's it . You don't have to explain what, when, how. If the dealershop doesn't have 152.5 , then You will have to go with something else. The small ones will do the same job, but they do  not have exactly the same thread pitch /nothing scary/, so You will feel a little bit of tightness when You screw it in.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 03/28/05 at 12:00:07

The larger type, a 145, was what was in my '02 and I rejetted to a 152.5 which was the smaller type. Didn't notice any problems when swapping them. Just don't loose the brass washer that goes between the jet and carb body. Slavy is right about the pitch on the threads being a little different, the last couple turns felt a little tight. Looks like the same 4 pack that I got from Dennis Kirk. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/28/05 at 14:40:41

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Mine had the thick one originally, but I used the smaller ones when I was playing with the jetting.  It still has a smaller one in it.  It fits and holds the washer in just fine.  Appearance is different, but it works.

FYI - My nearest bike shop only had Keihin jets - they work and fit, too, and look like the smaller picture.  The numbers are not the same, though.  a 155 Keihin was about the same as my 145 Mikuni.  Mikunit is in it now, a 155.

(I measured the jets with drill bits - NOT turning at the time.  I know it ain't exactly right, but it worked for me)

As a point of interest and if you are drilling out your jets with micro drill bits rather than purchasing four of the same size each time!
  The Mikuni jet sizes are denoted in tenths of a millimeter and increase 2.5 tenths of a millimeter per size. i.e. a #155 main jet is actually 1.55 mm. diameter, the next size up(adding 2.5 tenths of a mm.) is a #157.5 main jet, which is actually 1.575 mm. diameter, and so on.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #7 - 03/28/05 at 17:25:11

Yup.  I have been known to drill out jets, usually on Sunday when there are no open parts stores.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/01/05 at 06:53:38

The 2 types of jet styles will work fine.  I don't know why the dealers seem to have only the smaller ones, but the overall length and threads are the same, so it doesn't matter....just as long as it sits down in the fuel and sucks gas up it's little hole  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:46:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Jet type

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.