Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To ride again...or not? Opinions? (Read 7 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
To ride again...or not? Opinions?
03/26/05 at 22:49:09

I've had two lumbar surgeries in less than 2 years. Bone and disc sections removed. Doc says I can ride again, I'm hopeful but not convinced.

You've seen my bike by now on an earlier post (It runs...sort of).  Risk riding the rough rider bobber, or go ahaead and sign it over to my stepson and get another bike? Or hang it up?

What would you folks do if in my situation? I'd love to keep riding, not sure I can.

Help???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: To ride again...or not? Opinions?
Reply #1 - 03/26/05 at 22:58:24

I'm afraid I'd have to keep at least one bike so I could say to myself "I can ride anytime I want"  

Probably would never do it if I hurt so bad, but just knowing I can makes all the difference in the world to me.

Same goes for at least one car, one gun, one knife, etc....

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/26/05 at 23:01:21

i've blown two at top, and a herniated on the bottom
have had two surgeries on the top.
still riding,

i don't think i'll every quit. as long as i can kick start the darn thing. oh yeah i don't have to. i guess that will prolong things.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 03/27/05 at 00:10:31

Since you are asking us instead of a bunch of non-riders I think I know what you want -- justification to keep riding.

My father survived Omaha Beach.  After the War he joined the Detroit Police Department.  In the '50's he survived a heart attack.  And then another.  The doctors told him what he would have to give up to live.  He told my mother, "I can't do that."  "So don't" was her reply.  His last heart attack was in '62.  Is life so precious that we must give up doing what we love to prolong it?  My father did not think so.

What is the purpose of life?  I cannot accept that the purpose of life is simply to live and produce more life. For me, the purpose of life is to enjoy this great Earth and to help others to see the joy and beauty so that they too can enjoy their brief existence.   We cannot choose how we die.  We can choose how we live.  You can choose to ride.  Or you can choose to sit on a porch swing remembering how you used to ride.  No one can choose for you

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/27/05 at 00:34:22

I know exactly what I want to do. And am going to TRY to do. It's more a question of Savage bobber, stock replacement, or another bike entirely. The orange bike ought as well be a rigid.

I can (barely) manage an hour in the fullsize truck. Lumbar stability has not returned. I've had two herniated/popped discs cut on, have one that is torn on two sides. L3-S1 discs are toast, almost completely dried out.

I'd love to rde again. I know an old coot in the area who ride a 2000ish LC1500. He has had 11 (yes, 11) fusions! However, the 1500 has a viable suspension. And costs WAY too much.

When I get my settlement, I want to buy a bit roomier scoot. Maybe a VN800 or Drifter 800. Something along those lines. Or do the shocks on the S40 hold up better than the older ones? I really like the Savage/S40, not sure I can make one smooth enough to be comfortable for more than 20-30 minutes at a stretch now.
-WD

Oh. If I can't ride, so be it. Can still cut them up.  8)

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Toadie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/05 at 06:04:46

WD only you can make the decision.  If you want to ride then start out slow and see how it feels.  I personally would rather take small trips than no trips at all.  I never imagined when I started riding how much a part of my life it would become.  Everytime I have an errand to run or have to go somewhere I always ask myself do I have to take the Mustang or can I take one of the bikes.  Only you know your limitations.  Personally I would at least try riding.  Remember that you haven't ridden in a while and your muscles are not use to it anymore so you will be sore and uncomfortable at first so start slow and build up to longer trips.  Hope that you are able to get back on your iron horse and enjoy it as much as you use to.  Good luck and ride safe.  Toadie aka Kim

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 03/27/05 at 07:36:24

Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the
> intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well

> preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside,

> thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly

> shouting.... "Wow! What a ride! Thank You,

> Lord!!!"

Ride safe !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 03/27/05 at 07:39:55

WD, from what I know of you from all your posts your life has revolved around riding. As a newbie I am amazed as to how much riding has become a part of my life in only a year and can only imagine what it means to you. I've got a bad right hip that hurts to the point of where I have to pull over sometimes and walk it off, I still am planning to ride as long as I can. All I can tell you is that if you can ride then ride. Even short rides are better than nothing. Hope you can get back in the wind soon, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 03/27/05 at 07:50:58

You need to cushion/reduce the jolts to the spinal column, eh?  How are the legs?  The cruiser seating position might not be the best for you.  A standard position, with the pegs below instead of forward, allows you to stand up on the pegs so that the legs take the jostling rather than the tush.  You can do it on the Savage and I do over one set of RR tracks on my daily commute, but it is a strain compared with a dual-purpose bike such as the DR650SE.  At 5'9" I'm uncomfortable on the 33-35" seat heights of the dual purpose bikes, but it might be an option for you.

WWW   IP Logged
Lee
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/27/05 at 08:05:24

[Risk riding the rough rider bobber, or go ahaead and sign it over to my stepson and get another bike? What would you folks do if in my situation? I'd love to keep riding, not sure I can.]

Sign it over to your stepson and get yourself a bike with standard ergos so that your body weight is oriented forward over the tank into the handlebars instead of compressed downward  through your lumbar vertebrae into the saddle.  With the pegs under your feet  instead of out in front, you'll be able to rise ever so slightly out of the saddle as you go over bumps, and ride in good health for many years to come!

Lee

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 03/27/05 at 08:12:58

As I read the original post I started thinking of all kinds of things to say but by the time I got to the bottom of the page everybody else had pretty much covered them all.  Maybe you need to start slow, maybe you need a different bike, maybe you need some Advil or all of the above.  Where there's a will there's a way.  Your "mental" happiness can have a great influence on your physical wellbeing.  Just do it.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #11 - 03/27/05 at 09:02:30

Go with a normal bike with good suspension - add more with a solo spring seat - and keep riding.  You like to chop them up then do it - make one that will discourage any bumps from getting to your back.  Add air suspension!

Best of luck with it WD!

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 03/27/05 at 17:39:09

Anytime I take a ride that's outside of the county, I wear a back brace.  Makes a ton of difference.

Frankly, if it became a matter of the Savage being a little rough, I'd investigate getting a bike with a lusher ride.   I like my thumper, but not to the point of it being it or nothing.  Not by any means.  

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/27/05 at 18:21:58

I'm looking at getting an older CB750 or similar. I like the older lines. Maybe I'll have to investigate the newer Trumps.  I like the BMW tourers, but, man alive, that's a chunk of change.

I wonder of the late neighbor's '50 Chief would work? Can get it for next to nothing, hasn't been run since about 1970, at the latest...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 03/27/05 at 18:52:23

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You need to cushion/reduce the jolts to the spinal column, eh?  How are the legs?  The cruiser seating position might not be the best for you.  A standard position, with the pegs below instead of forward, allows you to stand up on the pegs so that the legs take the jostling rather than the tush.  You can do it on the Savage and I do over one set of RR tracks on my daily commute, but it is a strain compared with a dual-purpose bike such as the DR650SE.  At 5'9" I'm uncomfortable on the 33-35" seat heights of the dual purpose bikes, but it might be an option for you.

with my new flat bars it is much easier to lift the butt off the seat for the bumps i know are coming.

it's a matter of leverage, the pullbacks didn't make the angle of the dangle correct.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To ride again...or not? Opinions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.