Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie with Questions (Read 16 times)
hellstorm
Ex Member

Newbie with Questions
03/22/05 at 14:30:26

First I would like to say how helpful I find this board, I have found it to be a wealth of information and read alot of posts before I decided to purchase my Savage. I ran across a 1996 with 4K miles and picked it up for 700.00. The problem is it needs a new cam, rockers and my brother suggested checking the oil pump so I also got the notorious cylinder oil plug and a complete gasket set. My first question is to check the oil pump I need to access the left side of the engine. Is there anything I should know or be made aware of before I start disassembling the engine. I also through the suggestions of people on this board purchase the mac performance slip-on muffler. Figured since its going to be torn down, might as well do it all at once. I am also looking at the dial a jet for the carb, any input on that would be greatly appreciated.  Finally I am thinking about swapping out the stock shocks for 12" or 13" progressives, will this affect the tracking of the belt drive greatly or will i be alright? I am 6' and 225 lb and the bike is a little short for me with the stock shocks. Go figure someone actually wants to raise the ass end instead of lower it. Any help or input is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thanks!!!

Brian

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Newbie with Questions
Reply #1 - 03/22/05 at 17:45:37

Needing a new cam & rockers?  Sounds like gas got in the oil and it was ridden anyway.

A dead (killed, engine off) Savage can get gas through the intake form carb flooding, or through the vacuum port fromt he petc0ck.  Mine had both, and a leaking float valve.  

Might consider changing out the automatic vacuum petcock with a new one or converting it to manual operation.  

Also, since you have the carb off, make sure you have a 152.5 or 155 main jet, a half-thickness white spacer on the needle, and drill out the brass plug over the mixture screw.  This way you won't have to re-jet if you change pipes.

I put a sportster muff on mine, love it.

Good luck with all this.  Plenty of guys on this site will give you your $700 back for the bike if you get frustrated.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 03/22/05 at 18:12:14

Forgot the most important part - take digital photos or Polaroids as you dissasemble everything, so you can remember how it goes back together several weeks later.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 03/22/05 at 19:10:47

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Forgot the most important part - take digital photos or Polaroids as you dissasemble everything, so you can remember how it goes back together several weeks later.

or in some cases years  Sad

just ask wd

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/22/05 at 21:28:42

First thing- very good deal !
About the rocker arms-no way around buying new ones. About the cam shaft- instead of buyng a new why don't You send it to be reground? If I am correct somebody had it done for $100,/ which is cheaper than a new cam/  ,and also had it made with more lift. Just post a question. One more suggestion- change the cam chain. Usually Your problem is caused by a lack of maintenance and the very first thing to suffer is the timind chain. If You don't change it now You are risking a brocken chain not too far from now. So far I have never heard about a bad oil pump on a Savage.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/22/05 at 21:31:14

Hey...that's not funny. Bike has only been apart for three days...really long days...

Definitely take pics of the small parts as you take them out. Small part means anything smaller than the engine, the assembled engine.

When (not if) the engine needs cracked open on mine, I'm sending it to someone else for repairs. Just the photos in the service book are enough to give me nightmares. And this from a man who tears down and rebuilds flathead and other vintage engines for fun.

Carb mods? Hey Sluggo, how far from my house are you?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 03/22/05 at 21:43:37

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey...that's not funny. Bike has only been apart for three days...really long days...

Definitely take pics of the small parts as you take them out. Small part means anything smaller than the engine, the assembled engine.

When (not if) the engine needs cracked open on mine, I'm sending it to someone else for repairs. Just the photos in the service book are enough to give me nightmares. And this from a man who tears down and rebuilds flathead and other vintage engines for fun.

Carb mods? Hey Sluggo, how far from my house are you?
-WD

i'm probably about 3 hrs out from  pewy al  op.

now that the appearance mods are nearly complete (i doubt it ever will be fully compete)  i'm starting to think of the performance mods.  first up  keeping up with the theme of the bike i'm putting on a used super trapp (max i made up my mind). then going for the rejet and half spacer mod.  if i had the bucks i would go for a full blown engine mod, making it a monster, but that will have to wait.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/23/05 at 02:48:44

hellstorm wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
First I would like to say how helpful I find this board, I have found it to be a wealth of information and read alot of posts before I decided to purchase my Savage. I ran across a 1996 with 4K miles and picked it up for 700.00. The problem is it needs a new cam, rockers and my brother suggested checking the oil pump so I also got the notorious cylinder oil plug and a complete gasket set. My first question is to check the oil pump I need to access the left side of the engine. Is there anything I should know or be made aware of before I start disassembling the engine. I also through the suggestions of people on this board purchase the mac performance slip-on muffler. Figured since its going to be torn down, might as well do it all at once. I am also looking at the dial a jet for the carb, any input on that would be greatly appreciated.  Finally I am thinking about swapping out the stock shocks for 12" or 13" progressives, will this affect the tracking of the belt drive greatly or will i be alright? I am 6' and 225 lb and the bike is a little short for me with the stock shocks. Go figure someone actually wants to raise the ass end instead of lower it. Any help or input is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thanks!!!

Brian

The following pic shows how far you have to go to get at the oil pump
There is not a heck of a lot you can do to the oil pump, as it is not serviceable, suggest you replace with a new one, if you do go this far, also suggest you check all crankcase bearings and replace as required, while you are at it!

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/23/05 at 04:40:55

Ok new question before I crack open the case, how could gas get into the oil? It only has 4k miles. As far as the cam goes, I got a brandy new one from RonAyers.com for $96.45. I thought about having the old cam reground, but it chewed up the rockers pretty well and one lobe had a prety noticable flat spot, so figured new was cheaper. Thanks.

Brian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/25/05 at 06:38:54

You do know that you'll have to split the crankcase halves to get to the oil pump, right?  The only part accessible under the right clutch cover is the oil pump drive gear, so this will be a big job.

You have a manual?

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/25/05 at 08:14:11

Yeah, I have a manual and I'm not really looking forward to it, just want to get it done and get it running. What happened was the original owner
sealed somethings with permatex instead of using a gasket and the dealer found it in the oil and the carb sooooooo.  The guy I bought it from had an estimate to fixit and labor was for 9 hours. I'm not under any deadline so if i take my time I think I'll be fine. If i run into any problems, I'll be sure to ask. Everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable.

Thanks,

Brian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/25/05 at 09:04:15

Yeah, I have a manual and I'm not really looking forward to it, just want to get it done and get it running. What happened was the original owner
sealed somethings with permatex instead of using a gasket and the dealer found it in the oil and the carb sooooooo.  The guy I bought it from had an estimate to fixit and labor was for 9 hours. I'm not under any deadline so if i take my time I think I'll be fine. If i run into any problems, I'll be sure to ask. Everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable.

Thanks,

Brian

Permatex?  Dude, that sucks.  Was the head cover sealed with Permatex?  This sounds really familiar somehow.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/25/05 at 09:08:11

Also, it's funny but when I checked this topic earlier, I didn't see the picture of the open crankcase above.  Maybe the server was down....so obviously, I see that my other question was rather redundant.

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/25/05 at 10:07:50

Headcover wasn't sealed with Permatex, but the rightside engine cover was since its off and I think possibly the left side too. I will know better this weekend, I actually just got the bike last night. I will start the dismantling so i can yank the engine out and just take it from there. I'm almost tempted to just put the cam and rockers in and not crack open the case, but if i do do that and the oilpump is actually clogged, I'll have to do it all over again anyway. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks,

Brian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 03/25/05 at 10:55:33

Headcover wasn't sealed with Permatex, but the rightside engine cover was since its off and I think possibly the left side too. I will know better this weekend, I actually just got the bike last night. I will start the dismantling so i can yank the engine out and just take it from there. I'm almost tempted to just put the cam and rockers in and not crack open the case, but if i do do that and the oilpump is actually clogged, I'll have to do it all over again anyway. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Why do you suspect the oil pump?  Is or was oil present in the recesses under the head cover and around the cam shaft?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:05:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.