hard saddlebags mounted (Read 16 times)
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
hard saddlebags mounted
03/09/05 at 23:58:32

Here's my first attempt to load a pic, hope it works:

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/306403/[url][/url]

If the link didn't work it is at bikepics under my id - rebslb13. I will upload more photos as I can resize them and make it work.

The bags are about 18"Lx10"Wx8"H. The company went out of business years ago, I bought these used in about 1981 for my Kaw 550. After some cautionary first riding I tried them out at a sustained 80 mph and the bike was very steady. No problem with passing trucks at all.  I had to improvise the brackets to mount the backrest/luggage rack. It could be prettier but I'm most interested in functionality. I'm thinking of adding highway pegs and someone mentioned not useing C-clamps, was that due to the appearance or concern of weakening the frame? I am planning on using a clamp.

It's really interesting the verastility of the bike, from choppers to touring/cruising. Just takes some creativity.
I'd encourage more to join bikepics and get our favorite thumper better represented! There are only 3 of us and I just joined.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: hard saddlebags mounted
Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 06:43:35

Not bad, not bad at all. These are the bags I'm looking for. Like your windscreen too.

Greetz
kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
hard saddle bags mounted
Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 11:32:12

Looks great, Like the way the bags open and guards around them. I have similiar era bags on mine and an old Wixom Bro fairing. Makes it different and works for me. Let me know if you are intertested in ideas on how to put a luggage rack inplace of the passenger pillion Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 11:55:38

I need to look for some of those too.  They look remarkably like the pair I had on my '76 KZ750 and those served me well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/05 at 13:07:17

They even look a little like old police bags. Nothing matches the usefullness of hard bags. I've even seen them used as ice coolers before.

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/10/05 at 13:13:06

I added a couple more pics with different views:

http://www.bikepics.com/members/rebslb13/04savage/[url][/url]

Max, I'd like to see your ideas for a rack instead of the seat. I never carry a passenger anyway. I guess in an emergency someone could sit on the rack.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/10/05 at 16:18:11

The sissy bar is solid stock. I cut mine off and welded a bar across the top of the cut off side pieces that were left sticking up. First rack was from a Honda CT 90/100 and worked OK until I got a GIVI trunk with a quick release plate. So I wandered through the cycle salvage yard in Hayden Lake, ID until I found a used right size shaped rack for $5. Rear rack bolts go into tapped holes in the cross bar and the front is supported by a bar that sit on and uses the original cushions for the pillion pad. I'll try to ge it in the sun and take some pics with a new digital camera we have. Picture of bike with bags in in Palladin's string on hard bags. Max

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/10/05 at 19:02:31

Also on your posters' pictures.

WWW   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/05 at 20:16:17

They look good.  Looks real classy.  You've done a lot of work to that Savage to make it different.  I like the mirrors, too. Grin

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 03/10/05 at 20:33:37

My bags open outward so I mounted them low enough I can still open them if I have something oversize on the rack, yours looks leaner with the bags mounted high. Also you can pull the axle w/o removing he bags, I have to pull the RH set to get the axle out. I've saved your RN picture to the rotating desktop picture. Looks great. Max

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #10 - 03/12/05 at 07:09:59

Wow, those are a little unusual, I guess more retro is the word. I like them. They look very good on the bike. Smiley

Gerry

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #11 - 03/12/05 at 18:22:42

Thanks for all your comments on the bags. They are proving useful already. Max, what do you mean about using the picture for the rotating display? You're free to use them, no problem, I'm just curious. Are you refering to the Be_Savage site? It is over there. I was amazed to make the "cover."

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 03/12/05 at 23:40:35

The rotating display is on my MAC computer.  I've got a selection of pictures of interest to me on the destop and the computer puts a different on in the middle of the screen every 30 minutes. Presently I have 10 the rotate.  The old "thumper page" used to have a different thumper come up every time you signed on. It was great even with "the thumper page" overwritten on it.

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #13 - 03/13/05 at 16:59:56

Max, I'm flattered you used it. I've added a couple more that I think show the bike overall better instead of focusing so much on the bags. They were the point of the first pic. Have at it.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
allgirl
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Spokane, Wa
Reply #14 - 03/15/05 at 21:16:01

very cool ,
I like them ... right now I 'm trying to find something I like . I like them ... but I don't think this year it's going to happen.

WWW carrc77@aol.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 09:39:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hard saddlebags mounted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.