Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Change gear (Read 4 times)
augh
Ex Member

Change gear
03/06/05 at 00:06:34

Need your help again to know if you experienced the same problem I have on my gear switch.  No matter if the LS oil is cold or hot, it makes , most of the time, a lot of mechanical noise.  Its teeth are not in tune.  This happen when I start , go from 1st gear to second and back from second to first gear.  I am not used to drive a motorcycle with this noise, that was normal on old motorcycles.  Is it normal ???Anyway I can correct it??  I use expensive syntethic oil 10-40.  Tx  Augusto.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Change gear
Reply #1 - 03/06/05 at 07:36:34

I have not had this problem and I realy doubt it is in the gears. I have never heard of Savage with a gear problem. You said it makes a noise when You start it. If You mean When You start it and the bike is in neutral - in case like this , I'd look in some other place. When the bike is in "N" the gears are not engaged. What about in the other gears ? What about when squeeze the clutch?
You did not explain what kind of noise is that.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/06/05 at 10:14:39

I've always had a bit of gear noise when my '02 is in 1st gear. It is noticable mainly when downshifting from 2nd and am off the gas, the gears shift just fine, just whine a bit. I'm hoping that it quiets up after a few thousand more miles. Not planning to take it apart, why fix what's not broken. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/06/05 at 23:36:02

Sorry Slavy I was unable to explain it.  The noise is when from neutral I switch  to the first gear .  When the gear starts to be engaged, pushing the pedal ,  there is  a noise like a big crunch, due to internal gear parts that do not match correctly.   Of course the clutch is engaged.  It reminds me some old motorcycle that I had before like the Moto Guzzi 750.  Do you experience the same crunch??  Could be  the too low or high idle ??? Tx  Augusto.

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/05 at 02:34:08

augh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Sorry Slavy I was unable to explain it.  The noise is when from neutral I switch  to the first gear .  When the gear starts to be engaged, pushing the pedal ,  there is  a noise like a big crunch, due to internal gear parts that do not match correctly.   Of course the clutch is engaged.  It reminds me some old motorcycle that I had before like the Moto Guzzi 750.  Do you experience the same crunch??  Could be  the too low or high idle ??? Tx  Augusto.

Sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging, could be one of two things or a combination of both.
Make sure your clutch cable is properly set at both the clutch hand lever and at the clutch cover. If this does not cure the problem, your friction plates may be beyond limits (worn).

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 03/07/05 at 05:45:41

Forgot to add that sometimes when the bike is cold or at a quick stop/start I get a bit of a clunk dropping into first gear. It was more noticable with a higher idle (above 1200rpm) and with lighter weight engine oil. Hope that this helps

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/07/05 at 06:02:25

TX Ed , yes it helps, I am trying to figure out if this is a LS's  feature common to all owners.   Augusto.

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/07/05 at 06:45:00

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging, could be one of two things or a combination of both.
Make sure your clutch cable is properly set at both the clutch hand lever and at the clutch cover. If this does not cure the problem, your friction plates may be beyond limits (worn).

Disregard worn friction plates as part of the problem. If this were the case, the bike would not hold in any gear.
The clunk you hear is inherent in any standard transmission and would become more noticeable as the idle rpm is increased.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 03/07/05 at 07:24:04

The way You describe it I thinkk the guys before me are right- more of clutch and oil problem.
There are couple of possible problems and all of them are minor - nothing worthed to take the bike apart.
1.If the bike has a lot of miles You might have groves dug in the clutch basker and they don't let  the plates to separate easily.
2.the plates might be sticking because of the old oil and don't want to brake the pack
3.the oil is too thick and causes excessive drag in the clutch.
4.The clutch is not adjusted right
5. The idle is too high
  If it was me , the first thing I'd do was - change the oil with thinner , adjust the idle to approx. 1000RPM and  make sure the clutch is adjusted right. After that - test ride and compare.

IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/07/05 at 07:47:38

OK Slavy let me reply your post.
1.  Bike has 6000 miles and the clutch seems to work fine on any other gear change.
2.  I just replaced old oil with full syntetic 10-40 w ($24.00 per liter).
3.  Idle could be too hight since my ears are tuned to the XR400r , my other motorcycle.
I will try to modify idle and see if it works.  Tx much Slavy and everyone else.  Augusto. .

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 03/07/05 at 07:57:48

Try this. Hold the clutch lever in for 5 to 10 seconds before putting it in gear. No noise, right?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/07/05 at 23:46:26

Hi Bentwheel , yes right no noise.  But how can I cure the problem from 1st gear to 2nd and specially from 2nd to 1st .  No noise when I return to neutral.  I tryed with slow idle, same.  At this point I think she doesen't like the syntethic oil I use.  Augusto.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #12 - 03/08/05 at 00:20:25

augh, try this, it works great with my GL1800 csc trike when cold. while holding clutch lever down in neutral, blip throttle twice very quickly,just as engine returns to idle, punch into first gear quickly. slips into first like slicing hot butter, as the saying goes. works with savage too. Bill aka diesel

IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/08/05 at 02:21:57

Make sure I 'll try and let you know.  We are under 27F sometime and I almost froze last night when I tryed the idle adjustment and warm up the engine .   I am in Tuscany , not in the USA.  Augusto.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 03/08/05 at 08:37:39

In temperatures like this You might want to go to 5W-30 or some other oil with first# 5W.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:19:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Change gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.