Send Topic Print
A bike for Eric's Wife (Read 10 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
A bike for Eric's Wife
03/05/05 at 09:31:00

The Vstar was too heavy, the Savage was savage.  Is your wife still considering a two-wheeler?  Maybe we can help -- there is a lot of experience on this forum.
How big/small is she, what sort of riding will the bike be used for?  From what little we have I would be taking her to look at a Suzuki Bergman 400.

WWW   IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Re: A bike for Eric's Wife
Reply #1 - 03/05/05 at 09:48:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  If you ask her the Vstar is the perfect bike for her.  You may have another opinion if you watched her take a full minute to get going from a stop, or considered the fact that we bought the thing brand new last April and the bike now has 800 miles, 600 of which are mine trying to get it broken in.  To me it has been pretty much a waste of money - I think she likes the idea of owning a bike but not actually riding it.  My idea of obtaining a Savage was basically to sell the Vstar while its still worth money, but riding them back to back she wants the Star.
Now, she basically roles her eyes at the idea of selling it and says "do whatever you want with it." as this $6,000 bike sits gathering dust.
I'm probably gonna just put it in the paper this spring as I don't really think she cares that much, this was just an idea to develop a common interest.  In truth, she would probably get much more use out of a little convertible, but we don't have the garage room.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #2 - 03/05/05 at 12:56:58

Being married, I understand.  A part of her wants to join you as a biker and share your passion, but if you set her on the bike she really cannot get into it.  That's why they make cars!  You can never really know if you will like/dislike something until you actually try it.  With a marriage you occasionally run in to the situation where one party loves something and the other can't figure out why.  All you can do is accept that you cannot do everything together and either come along on the pillion or say "be careful and hurry back."

My wife, Wendy, is toying with the idea of getting herself a bike.  She's a bit large for the Savage, which is why I am following nightrain's footpeg saga.  Can a large man be comfortable on a Savage, or will he need to stretch the frame?

We both enjoy dirt camping -- get away from people, pitch a tent and just relax doing nothing more than watching critters come up to explore what you brought them to eat/play with.  We've talked about a pair of larger bikes, one towing a tent trailer and the other a cargo trailer.  But until she actually gets on a bike and takes a few local trips on it to test whether or not she could enjoy riding, the 10,000 mile camping trip will remain a mere possibility rather than a plan.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/05/05 at 19:35:03

LOL, I love riding and camping too.  My wife, on the other hand, likes filtered air and thinks roughing it means no cable TV.  For us it's the "be careful and hurry back" deal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 03/05/05 at 20:00:14

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Being married, I understand.  A part of her wants to join you as a biker and share your passion, but if you set her on the bike she really cannot get into it.  That's why they make cars!  You can never really know if you will like/dislike something until you actually try it.  With a marriage you occasionally run in to the situation where one party loves something and the other can't figure out why.  All you can do is accept that you cannot do everything together and either come along on the pillion or say "be careful and hurry back."

My wife, Wendy, is toying with the idea of getting herself a bike.  She's a bit large for the Savage, which is why I am following nightrain's footpeg saga.  Can a large man be comfortable on a Savage, or will he need to stretch the frame?

We both enjoy dirt camping -- get away from people, pitch a tent and just relax doing nothing more than watching critters come up to explore what you brought them to eat/play with.  We've talked about a pair of larger bikes, one towing a tent trailer and the other a cargo trailer.  But until she actually gets on a bike and takes a few local trips on it to test whether or not she could enjoy riding, the 10,000 mile camping trip will remain a mere possibility rather than a plan.

two words..

[glow=red,2,300]SIDE CAR [/glow]

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/05/05 at 20:39:00

The weather was nice today, so we went for a little ride - me on the Star and her on the Savage.   She liked it ok, even though she still doesnt understand the whole motorcycle lean/turn thing yet.  I think we will keep both for the time being, as I'm not in the mood to take a beating on a 800 mile 2003 vstar in showroom condition with $800 in accessories and I don't want to sell the Savage cause its cool.  Maybe the best thing will be for her to learn on the Savage, get her darn mc endorsement with it and then maybe she will ride the Vstar and I will ride both Savage and Valk.
Sorry if I'm so indecisive with this issue - prior to buying the Savage i thought we would give it a go and if she didnt like it we would just sell it, but I REALLY like the Savage, which has been very unexpected.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 03/05/05 at 20:53:33

Googled:
Attaching a sidecar to a Suzuki Savage

You ride a bike, you drive a hack.  In California a hack does not require a motorcycle license.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 03/05/05 at 21:12:43

erik wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
...Sorry if I'm so indecisive with this issue - prior to buying the Savage i thought we would give it a go and if she didnt like it we would just sell it, but I REALLY like the Savage, which has been very unexpected.
Yeah, like WE have never been indecisive. Grin  The Savage is a seductive little bike.

WWW   IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/05 at 21:25:05

I've been installing satellite dishes since 1994 except for a 2 year hitch splicing cable any similarity with what you do Paladin?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 03/05/05 at 22:18:52

Trained as RadioRelayRepair by the Air Farce.  2879th GEEIA out of Athens, installing mux and microwave and tropo in Turkey.  Discharged, hired by Pacific Telephone & Telegraph as a communications technician.  Did N-carrier, TRCC, T-Carrier; moved into switching and took care of the Stepper in Gardena until '84 -- the last Step by Step machine in Metro L.A. to be shut down.  Got into OCS in '86 and have spent the last 18 years installing and maintaining telephones, telephone systems, data systems, LANs, etc. that are used by Pacific Bell.  Including residential service for Executive Support.  You can click on the links on the left to my blog.

WWW   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/06/05 at 17:17:15

Eric, maybe your wife wants it for "garage art", that's what my husband calls my bike.  If she hasn't taken the MSRC send her to one-with out you. Husbands and wives hould never try to teach the other to ride/drive. I tried to teach my husband to ride in the 70's and almost had to find a new husband.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/06/05 at 18:03:47

Well, the wife dumped the Savage today.  We went to the grocery store, me on the vstar and her on the savage, she was doing fine until she took a left into the grocery parking lot.  She didnt make the turn and ran into the curb at about 10 mph thank god she was wearing a helmet and leather jacket and gloves, I saw the whole thing in shocked disbelief.
Anyway, I have decided that me and the kids need her around much more than she likes motorcycling and am selling the Vstar, she will become a passenger.  :'(

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 03/06/05 at 18:35:38

Why don't you ask your wife if she still wants to ride? I dumped my Savage the second time out and cracked three ribs, got back on it and rode it home. Then I signed up for the MRSC and figured out what I did wrong. Could be the course would make both of you more confident in her riding ability. Glad to hear that she was wearing safety gear and didn't get too hurt. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet when I dumped it I probably would of cracked my skull, landed head first. Luck on you decision.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 03/06/05 at 21:12:01

first off, glad to hear she's ok.

i concur with ed.
look at it this way.  she got here "been down/going down" incident out of the way early.
now it'll be years before it happens again.

in my 30 plus years of riding i've been down 5 times. each time i've evaluated what happened and decided that riding will still be part of my life..

good luck

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/05 at 22:59:55

This is the 3rd person Erik's wife.  I was very happy on my Vstar - granted it was taking longer than my husband was patient for as far as me learning, but i took my time and was happy with my progress.  My Husband decided that since i hadn't put enough miles on the vstar that we needed to buy the savage.  I was detirmined to make that work and over stepped my comfort zone.  I learned how to ride on the vstar and was comfortable on it.  I took a completely different bike and went out in traffic with it before it was comforatable to me.  let me ask you - am i just kidding my self that the bike i learned on was a good fit - is it really not possible that the change in weight, foot positioning and overall performance may have added to my unfortunate event today?  i'm not comfortable driving other people's cars and feel that if i had puttered around on the savage before going "out in public" that things might have been different - i rode 200 miles on the vstar and had no mishaps or incling of mishaps - i take full responsiblilty for what happened today either way - any thoughts?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A bike for Eric's Wife

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.