Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Front Wheel Bearings
02/25/05 at 10:36:24

If I lean forward during brakeing I believe I'm hearing a very slight metalic grinding - this leads me to think either the axle is dry, the front bearings or both. This weekend I'll pull it apart and find out.

The question is if the bearings are dry, the manual states they can not be removed without damage most likely, is there enough room to inject grease - or is it time @15k miles to just pickup some new ones and get on with it?

Thanks

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Re: Front Wheel Bearings
Reply #1 - 02/25/05 at 10:43:04

my bet is that it is not the wheel bearing at all....
i'm puttin my cashish on the front brake pads being worn out....   Wink

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/25/05 at 11:16:23

New EBC organic pads 3 weeks ago - hope not

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 02/25/05 at 13:03:58

Bad wheel bearings would growl all the time I would think. Here is the deal on damage, whenever we have to remove a bearing by driving through the balls or rollers, we consider it "junk" as the possibility of denting a race or fracturing a ball/roller is great and very hard to detect as they cannot be disassembled. To remove the bearings you move the spacer slightly to the side and using a long punch drive one side bearing out by the inner race (through the bearing). The spacer can be removed but you still cannot get to the outer race of the other side, so it gets driven by the inner race through the bearings also. When reinstalling, you drive them in place by the outer race so no damage is done. Use a correct size socket and a brass or shot hammer to prevent damage to the socket, unless you have some bearing  drivers tools at hand.  They are generally considered a non-servicable item. They are shielded both sides and factory lubed. If you could remove them w/o driving through the bearings, that doesn't prevent one from carefully lifting the shield out, throughly cleaning out the old grease, carefully checking the bearing for loosness (not more than 0.004" axially or radially) and wear. If OK, then relubing it and reinstalling the shield.  For the most part the bearings are pretty standard and not expensive if you take the old bearing to a bearing supply house rather than use Suzuki part # ones. Bearings are very standarized world wide and brand names are easily available. Now if you start looking for ATV drive axle or those kinds of bearings be prepared, even the bearing supply store gets a big handful of $ for those.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 02/25/05 at 20:34:34

If your bearings are really bad you will feel free play in them. Raise your front wheel off the ground and grip your tire at 3 and 9 0'clock and wiggle the tire. there should be no perceptible movement.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 02/25/05 at 20:40:45

I can't feel any play just a little grind when I push down on the front

And at 10 years old and 15k miles it's likely due for $20 worth of bearings

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 02/25/05 at 20:49:03

Are you sure the grinding noise is coming from the hub? Other possibilities are steering neck bearings or fork bushing.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 02/26/05 at 04:48:54

Fairly sure as it's a rolling grind and only there when I brake and push down on the front end. I'll pull it apart in a couple of hours and have a look see.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/26/05 at 07:43:38

Max is right-on with his bearing replacement explanation, and za16866 and Bentwheel are right too.  I don't see how you can get a bearing noise only when pushing down or braking.

You can also feel a bad bearing if you remove the wheel and stick your finger in the axle hole (inner race) and turn the bearing....if you feel any roughness or a "flat spot" as you turn the bearing, it is bad.  And I don't think that any noise generated would only happen during braking.

I also don't think that the steering head bearings will do that either, but you can check them when you raise the front wheel off the ground....you shouldn't feel any roughness in turning the steering and the wheel should gently flop over to either side.

I'd bet this started 3 weeks ago with the new brake pads.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 02/26/05 at 11:04:36

Well, jacked it up, spun the tire all seems good - no run out on the rotor, pulled the front brake and the wheel seems mighty smooth to me - not a bit of play and zero noise - may be just the pads - the old ones were metalic I believe, dry as could be on the back (except for a little rust) and squealed quite a lot - so if the slight grind was there couldn't have heard it - I'll hang on a bit and see if these pads bed in a bit more and this goes away.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/27/05 at 09:03:23

What's your rotor look like?  I good shape?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 02/27/05 at 18:27:27

Rotor looks good - run my finger nail across it I can't feel any groves and it mics @ .181 - normal looks to be .17-.19 service limit of .16 -  had it out this afternoon for quite awhile and gave the front brakes a hard time - all works fine- just a little more grind when I add some down pressure than I'd expect - better half tells me I'm just looking for a reason to work on it - I did change the oil out to 20w-50 v-twin mobil1 and this time the filter - dang filter had 8-7-98 20w-50 castrol written on in with a sharpie - dang i hope the filter hand't been in there that long! Man about 3 months is more like it - 7 years!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/28/05 at 05:17:05

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
- dang filter had 8-7-98 20w-50 castrol written on in with a sharpie - dang i hope the filter hand't been in there that long! Man about 3 months is more like it - 7 years!!!    

That's an idea...write the date on the filter.  Too bad you have to open it up to find out.  I wonder if a dealer did that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:04:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Wheel Bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.