Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil quantity (Read 6 times)
augh
Ex Member

Oil quantity
02/24/05 at 23:49:18

Hello, I am new here!!  I just purchased an European  97 Savage with 8,000 km on.  Since the bike was sitting in a corner for over two years , I replaced oil and filter , and I found that only two liters of oil are sufficient to reach the top of the inspection window.  Manual says 2,4 lt.  Any possible explanation for this difference???? Tx Augusto.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Oil quantity
Reply #1 - 02/25/05 at 01:58:16

It has been noted by many Savage owners on the Internet that the oil capacities in both the Clymer & Owner's Manual are not exactly correct ... the correct capacities are;

2.0 litres with a filter change

1.8 litres without filter change

2.4 litres engine overhaul

The correct level should be mid-way betwwen the marks on the sight-glass with the Bike held vertical off the side-stand.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
augh
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/05 at 02:41:43

Tx Perry, I was ready to replace one more time the oil since I believed that I was unable to empty the crankcase.  The owner manual has many mistakes.  According to the manual we all have disc brakes on the rear and RPM are 6,500 !!!  Augusto.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/25/05 at 05:16:46

The side of the crankcase says 1800 cc so 1.8 liters is right.

In quarts that's just less than 2 quarts at 940 cc each.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/25/05 at 15:46:49

I just did an oil and filter change on my '02 and it took just over two quarts to fill to the middle of the window. I have been wondering if the earlier four speed bikes take more oil because there is more room in the crankcase because of one less gear.  ???. Silver '02 with sportster muffler, 152.5 main jet, clubman style handle bars and five inches of snow on the ground with another big storm coming. What is wrong with this picture?? Angry Man my butt is getting sore riding around in a cage!!!!

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/26/05 at 06:34:13

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I just did an oil and filter change on my '02 and it took just over two quarts to fill to the middle of the window. I have been wondering if the earlier four speed bikes take more oil because there is more room in the crankcase because of one less gear.  ???. ....

Is everyone measuring the oil with the bike in the vertical position off the sidestand?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 02/26/05 at 10:58:43

I've been using a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand to level out the bike. Anything 1 1/2 inches thick seems to be real close to the right height for leveling the bike out for an oil level check. Once the bike has the kickstand blocked up you can rock it the rest of the way to level just don't let the bike fall over on you. Grin. I just eyeball the level with the kickstand on the block and leave it alone. The ol ball an chain would never let me forget it if I had the bike fall on me in the garage, she's still mad at me for getting it over a year ago.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/27/05 at 11:06:00

I've been using a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand to level out the bike. Anything 1 1/2 inches thick seems to be real close to the right height for leveling the bike out for an oil level check. Once the bike has the kickstand blocked up you can rock it the rest of the way to level just don't let the bike fall over on you. Grin. I just eyeball the level with the kickstand on the block and leave it alone. The ol ball an chain would never let me forget it if I had the bike fall on me in the garage, she's still mad at me for getting it over a year ago.

I just wonder if, everyone giving their oil quantities, is filling the same way.  A 2 x 4 would be close to vertical.

Aw, come on....let the bike fall over.  I've done it.  Besides, you only live once  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 02/27/05 at 13:56:20

Been there, done it,  Grin still have a scar to remind me not to do it again, didn't hurt the bike any which is a good thing. We all learn from our mistakes, that way when I get hurt again it will be from something totally different and unexpected.  ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/28/05 at 05:19:37

Been there, done it,  Grin still have a scar to remind me not to do it again, didn't hurt the bike any which is a good thing. We all learn from our mistakes, that way when I get hurt again it will be from something totally different and unexpected.  ???

Each scar represents a different topic in a motorcycle forum  8)

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #10 - 02/28/05 at 23:20:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Is everyone measuring the oil with the bike in the vertical position off the sidestand?
I am.  I bring the engine up to operating temp, turn it off for a few minutes to let the oil drain, hold the bike vertical, and check the oil level with a mirror. An oil change with filter with my bike ['88, 4 speed] takes a little over 2 quarts.

rmgray2001   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 11:22:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil quantity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.