Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
more squeaky belt problems (Read 1 times)
lagagnon
Ex Member

more squeaky belt problems
02/12/05 at 16:20:39

I am aware of the past postings on this and the other Savage forum concerning drive belt squeaks. I am presently having that problem - with some interesting observations:

1) the squeaks get worse when the outside temperature is lower, especially if a little frosty. This seems to make sense to me as rubber contracts when colder (or so I understand).

2) My 2004 Savage now has about 2000km on the clock. At 1000km the belt tension was perfect: I could twist it 90 degrees at its lowest point. Now the belt seems tighter and I am unable to twist it 90 degrees. How can the belt have tightened itself?

It appears to me I will be able to solve my problem by simply loosening the belt slightly, but any other suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: more squeaky belt problems
Reply #1 - 02/13/05 at 09:00:39

lagagnon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I am aware of the past postings on this and the other Savage forum concerning drive belt squeaks. I am presently having that problem - with some interesting observations:

1) the squeaks get worse when the outside temperature is lower, especially if a little frosty. This seems to make sense to me as rubber contracts when colder (or so I understand).

2) My 2004 Savage now has about 2000km on the clock. At 1000km the belt tension was perfect: I could twist it 90 degrees at its lowest point. Now the belt seems tighter and I am unable to twist it 90 degrees. How can the belt have tightened itself?

It appears to me I will be able to solve my problem by simply loosening the belt slightly, but any other suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

Larry Gagnon

When the belt is cold, yes it will shrink, but if it is too tight, it will also heat up more when you ride it.

Since you have a 2004, you most likely have a toolkit with a tension gage.  Use the gage and your MOM to check the tension rather than the 90 degree method.

If it really have changed, then I'd be looking at the rear wheel adjusters.  Has the wheel been removed?  However, most likely, if anything is loose at the adjusters, the belt will get looser, not tighter.

IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Re: more squeaky belt problems
Reply #2 - 02/16/05 at 12:17:43

Solved problem. Noted belt was very loose and not aligned properly on left side. Put her up on homemade bike lift and adjusted left side tension. All seems fine for the moment - no squeaks as far as I can here!

Larry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:18:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › more squeaky belt problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.