Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low ground clearance (Read 11 times)
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
low ground clearance
02/11/05 at 23:08:29

Looking at it today it looked there is not much ground clearance. Anyone had any problem with that? I ask because I like to putter around on gravel/dirt roads, crossing creeks, etc. Not "dirt riding" but poking around the out of the way places. It's one of the things I like about the bike, light enough to pick back up if necessary.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: low ground clearance
Reply #1 - 02/12/05 at 00:19:31

My KLX has 10.5" of ground clearance and never goes off road.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #2 - 02/12/05 at 00:42:08

short round wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Looking at it today it looked there is not much ground clearance. Anyone had any problem with that? I ask because I like to putter around on gravel/dirt roads, crossing creeks, etc. Not "dirt riding" but poking around the out of the way places. It's one of the things I like about the bike, light enough to pick back up if necessary.

Have you checked out the V-Strom 650?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 02/12/05 at 06:02:58

I don't regularly ride dirt roads but I have scraped my footpegs while leaning a time ot two!  Grin

Regarding riding off-road, someone else with more technical knowledge should chime in but I'm not sure the Savage is well suited to it. I think someone here has mentioned that the design seems to throw rocks and dirt onto the belt which obviously isn't a good thing.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/12/05 at 07:50:38

Yep, rocks and dirt on the belt, plus the rake is stuck our there a bit too far for any quick steering response in dirt.  Not a whole lot of ground clearance either.  I have thumped up a couple small hills just for grins, but the Savage is more at home on asphault.

I sure would hate to drop my Raask on a rock too  :'(

IP Logged
raytoews
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/05 at 13:04:17

Low ground clearence, fragile crankcase and no skid plate, poor handling with street tires, and tall gearing even in first.
Tried going down a back trail once, won't do that again.
Buy a KLR650 if you want to thump down a gravel raod.
Ray

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 02/13/05 at 13:32:19

Allow me to chime in here. First off I love dual sporting. Last year my 2nd bike was a dualsport. I rode it more often than the Savage. So yeah I've been off road with the Savage.  Nothing serious of course. I recall riding the Savage on a jeep trail and came across a shallow creek crossing and instinctively  picked up my speed and stood up on the pegs to splash the creek. I forgot about the Savage's feet forward position so of course fell back into the seat and rode through the creek cruiser style. This was so stupidly funny to me that I laughed in my helmet all day.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 02/13/05 at 14:26:00

Greg,  Where'd you get the Raask?  Are there any US domestic outlets?  Or do you have to order them from Sweden?

???

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/15/05 at 05:39:45

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Greg,  Where'd you get the Raask?  Are there any US domestic outlets?  Or do you have to order them from Sweden?

???

Ordered from Sweden and paid by wire transfer.  Worked very well and had my pipe in about 10 days.  Much cheaper too....$285 total.

If you go to the site, just find the contact link and they'll get back to you quickly.  The guys name is Sivert Raask.

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #9 - 02/27/05 at 11:23:04

Sorry to be so long responding. Thanks for your comments. The problems with a dual purpose bike:

1.  I'm 5'2" with a 26" inseam so a 31+" seat height is a REAL problem. (maybe I could get some of those platform boots to add 3" like the hookers wear, not to offend you ladies or others who might actually wear them. I guess others wear them too.)
2.  I did not want a chain drive, all my prior bikes had chains and I'm tired of that.
3.  I actually ride mostly on pavement but where I live a lot of shortcuts are gravel and the Missouri Department of Conservation areas (up to 7,000 acres) are gravel and sometimes have creek crossings. I certainly wouldn't try anything very rough. When I have time I may try to make a plate for the bottom. The trade off is losing even more clearance but having some degree of protection. I was thinking of a hardware cloth piece in front of the engine to catch rocks that could come off the gravel roads. Of course I'd have to still keep it "cool" looking too, if that's possible. Ha. This one Conservation area has some cool places to camp by the river but you have to cross a couple SMALL creeks to get there.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/27/05 at 12:50:16

[quote author=rebslb13 link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1108192109;start=0#9 date=02/27/05 at 11:23:04]Sorry to be so long responding. Thanks for your comments. The problems with a dual purpose bike:

1.  I'm 5'2" with a 26" inseam so a 31+" seat height is a REAL problem. (maybe I could get some of those platform boots to add 3" like the hookers wear, not to offend you ladies or others who might actually wear them. I guess others wear them too.)

I understand 26" inseam, that's the same as mine, but be careful with the "Hooker-Lady" boots. You can get the toe of them caught between the shifter and the foot peg real easy.  Oops!

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #11 - 02/27/05 at 13:51:20

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Ordered from Sweden and ... The guys name is Sivert Raask.

I got a vision of the the Swedish Cheif from Seseme St, (w/ a welder in hand).

OOOORRDY, ORRRDY, ORRRDY
.....NORK! NORK! NORK!!  Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #12 - 02/27/05 at 17:37:08

Radar, sounds like you speak from experience??? Not that you would be of the "working girl" profession of course. Cheesy

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 12:05:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › low ground clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.