Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 Savage 650 (Read 3 times)
SavageRider
Ex Member

2001 Savage 650
02/11/05 at 15:06:53

Okay here goes. I recently purchased a used 2001 Savage 650 motorcycle, here in California. It has a little over 3800 miles on the odometer. When at idle the exhaust emits a sooty black color but not to heavy and it smells like it's running rich. The bike seems to run just fine and have had it up to 75 MPH for a very short freeway distance. The idle mixture screw is all the way in and bottomed. Reading the posts about backfiring etc. (none of which I experienced) it would seem that the idle mixture screw being bottomed is wrong. Any suggestions on what is happening. Sorry for the long post but thought I needed to explain circumstances.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: 2001 Savage 650
Reply #1 - 02/11/05 at 15:21:16

This is not a clogged air filter, because the bike is running fine. If it is not an air problem, it should be fuel problem. There are only couple of possibilities.
1.wrong pilot jet
2.wrong fuel level
3.something is wrong with the pilot screw / check the tip, check the o-ring/
4.choke stays ON
Keep us posted.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #2 - 02/11/05 at 17:11:05

Maybe a previous owner removed the white spacer, cranked up the idle and compensated by turning in the idle air mixture screw all the way.
 Slavy is a carb Guru so take his advice on what to do, I'm just guessing. luck on it

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 02/11/05 at 17:19:57

the idle screw you speak of, is it the idle mixture screw that someone has uncovered by drilling out the hole. or are you speaking of the throttle adjustment screw on the side of carb. people sometimes confuse the two. one controls idle rpm while the hidden one contols the mixture.
here's a couple of first steps to take on diagnosing your particular problem.

the first test to make would be take the tank off remove plug...... what color does it read. that is the best indication i know of. others here are better equiped than I to explain the differences in detail.  in a nutshell it should be clean, light colored with no substantial build up.  spark plugs are like motor oil,  wax, and butt wipe Tongue. they all work pretty much the same, but we all have are prefrences. you choose what works for you.

second   have someone follow you at speed to report on emmissions.

next at 75 did it feel like that's all it had in it or did you just get to your limit. it should do mid 80's

i think what you will find you have are some minor tuneup type of issues which can easily be overcome.
with the help of people on the forums you will find you can do just about anything that comes up with this simple machine.  this way you save a ton of cash by doing it yourself, and that translates to more money for [glow=red,2,300]FUEL [/glow].

keep us posted

welcome
sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageRider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/05 at 07:43:22

Hey you Guy's

I really appreciate the advice and I now have some things to check out. I forgot in my original post to say that the choke isn't needed to start the bike when it's cold either. Hopefully, that makes sense with the other clues. I'll keep everyone posted about the results.

To Susan congratulation on being Moderator!! Grin Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/12/05 at 07:43:40

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
This is not a clogged air filter, because the bike is running fine. If it is not an air problem, it should be fuel problem. There are only couple of possibilities.
1.wrong pilot jet
2.wrong fuel level
3.something is wrong with the pilot screw / check the tip, check the o-ring/
4.choke stays ON
Keep us posted.

Sounds kinda like #4 to me, and someone turned up the idle speed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:22:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Savage 650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.