Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Next Generation Savage/S40 (Read 14 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Next Generation Savage/S40
Reply #15 - 02/09/05 at 08:59:47

Our Savage is a *simple* machine that is easy to maintain.  We have no need to go back to the dealer for what we need to keep running.  This is good for us, not as good for the dealer.

What Reelthing said was "I believe that companies want to make more than this on post sales parts and service, so in will come a multi cylinder, computerized, fuel injected replacement. "

In other words, the Savage does not bring in the after sales income that the more technically advanced motorcycles do.  The dealers have no great incentive to market the Savage, and in fact my two closest Suzuki dealers do not stock the Savage and one bad-mouthed the Savage saying that it leaked oil and vibrated and that people who bought them soon returned them.

The big market is not in the original item, but in the aftermarket support.

Hence, our Thumper will possibly be dropped in favor of a fuel-injected liquid-cooled computer-controlled V-twin.  Even with the design costs paid off the production line still occupies space that could be used to make a more profitable motorcycle.

Think about it.  What happened to being able to buy a basic automobile with the optional heater and radio?

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #16 - 02/09/05 at 14:14:20

Paladin ... you've hit on some very interesting and valid points ... especially regarding the Savage's basic simplicity and it's inherent appeal to some types of people ... and how simplicity doesn't always translate into aftermarket sales. I sometimes see it as the "failed promise of technology" ... around 1970 or so, there was a television program aired here in Canada called; Here Comes the 70's ... it was a show about future trends going into the then distant year of 2000. Anyhoo, one particular episode which stands out in my memory (eventhough I was only 9 at the time Wink) was how in the coming decades technology would make our lives simplier, freeing up valuable leisure time ... well, in many ways the exact opposite has happened ... our lives seem more hectic and complicated now than ever before, despite have a high tech gadget for our almost every need ... so, I know where you are coming from Paladin ... sadly, it is likely that the simple LS650 may move aside in the coming years to make room for a more (uneccessarily) complex replacement that some "bean counter" with Suzuki's marketing department deems more "profitable" ...
I sometimes think that had technology stopped evolving at 1950's levels then our Western Society might be somewhat more content today ... then again though we wouldn't be having this very interesting discussion through the internet!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #17 - 02/09/05 at 16:05:39

The Kymco Venox 250

I was acually looking at one of these before I decided on a savage..picked the savage because of the more hands on aspects of the engine.

KYMCO Venox 250
Engine Type V-twin DOHC 8 valve
Displacement 249cc
Horsepower 28hp
Bore/Stroke 58x47.2
Max Torque 14.0 / 8000
Cooling System Liquid
Ignition Electric
Gearbox 5 Speed
Chassis Steel
Front Suspension Telescopic forks
Rear Suspension Springs
Front Brake Single disc
Rear Brake Drum
Front Wheel/Tire 120/80-17
Rear Wheel/Tire 150/80-15
Seat Height 29 in. (736.6mm)
Wheelbase 63 in. (1600.2mm)
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gals. (14 liters)
Weight 418.5 lbs.
Available Colors Grey, Blue-Black or Yellow
MSRP $3,999
Features V-twin DOHC water cooled 249cc engine, front disc brakes, 5 speed manual gearbox, lots of curb appeal and a 2 Year Factory Warranty. C.A.R.B. Certified

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 02/10/05 at 07:28:57

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I sometimes think that had technology stopped evolving at 1950's levels then our Western Society might be somewhat more content today ...

I'm almost with you on that.  The profit motive seems to have driven the technology we're offered off on some rather unfavorable (in my view) tangents.  I fear Paladin may have a valid point.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:32:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Next Generation Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.