Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Next Generation Savage/S40 (Read 14 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Next Generation Savage/S40
02/08/05 at 02:21:13

8)Morning everyone ... just got back for my morning walk and was thinking about, "just where is Suzuki going?"
Most agree, that this years introduction of the Boulevard S40 is a subtle improvement on the previous LS650 Savage ... but essentially, our beloved Thumper remains virtually unchanged ... and has been so since it's initial introduction in 1986.
With the Boulevard line-up of 'Zuki cruisers for 2005, most magazine articles I've read have hinted that it is only the first step in a total re-working of Suzuki's entire cruiser platform. Just what changes might be in store for the Savage/S40? Will it continue? Will it eventually be dropped altogether ... or will Suzuki introduce a whole new 650cc cruiser? Hard to say ...
This Spring, Hyosung Motors of South Korea will be introducing the GV650 Aquila to the American and Canadian motorcycle marketplace ... it is a "V-Rod" styled cruiser that houses Suzuki's tried-and-true SV650 V-twin powerplant. I'm sure that the market-moguls at Suzuki will be watching closely to see how well this Bike is received in North America ...

What're all your thoughts on this? How do you see the Savage/S40 evolving? What would you like to see?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Next Generation Savage/S40
Reply #1 - 02/08/05 at 04:29:13

Great shades of VRod!  Shocked

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 02/08/05 at 06:08:16

A 485 pound liquid cooled V-twin, ho-hum.  I personally find it slightly less thrilling than a 485 pound pile of cow dung.   While it will probably sell adaquately the world really does not need yet another cloned baby Hawg.

If I wanted useless weight I could strap a couple of barbell plates to the sides of the Savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #3 - 02/08/05 at 06:34:41

While that's not a bad looking bike at all, handling and performance is an unknown as of yet.  

I'd suspect as does Paladin that performance will be average for that genre, but then again, if a guy likes the VRod look but can't pony up >$20K it may fill a niche.

Lets face it, our beloved Thumper doesn't sell in the showroom because of it's classic style or simplicity or thumper aura.  People buy it because it's low cost, smallish and has a rep as a beginners bike.  

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 02/08/05 at 07:04:52

What saves the Savage so far is the fact that it is unique.  Suzuki is happy that there is not similar motorcycle made by Honda /with XL650 engine in/ or Yamaha /with Raptor engine/, because LS650 will be dead in the water immidiately. Our bikes here are exeptions. All of us are enthusiasts and we make-up for the Suzuki's mistakes. The average MC owner doesn't want to tinker. And the average owner is the one that determines the number of sales.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #5 - 02/08/05 at 07:06:30

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lets face it, our beloved Thumper doesn't sell in the showroom because of it's classic style or simplicity or thumper aura.  People buy it because it's low cost, smallish and has a rep as a beginners bike.

That is why I have mine.  I can safely lean it over 20 degrees at a stand still and you can't beat the ($ per CC)/weight  factor anywhere.

That is what they need to target.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 02/08/05 at 12:29:30

Interesting comments ... though I think we all know why we love our Thumpers so much ... but given that 'Zuki is in the process of re-vamping their entire Crusier line-up, do you think they'll keep the S40 around, or do you think that model will be dropped?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #7 - 02/08/05 at 12:47:43

I'd say it would be dropped for a little VTwin.

I'd rather see a highly tuned big-single, but I think that most people who buy it think that a thumper is a bunny rabbit...

"We" are the fanatics.  I bought mine because it is a single.  It reminded me of other classic singles.  The Yamaha, BSAs, etc.

The only thing that might save the SuziSingle is the fact that tooling for it has to be so for paid off that they can't afford to drop a bike that costs them so little to make.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 02/08/05 at 12:48:50

My guess is they'll likely keep it around for the same reasons they've kept it around for the past several years.  They recovered their R&D long ago and anything above cost is just gravy now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 02/08/05 at 13:24:21

Agree, that Suzuki's R&D and tooling for the LS650 has been long paid for, but since it's likely that the Savage/S40 isn't a volume seller, is seen by many motorcyclsts as a "Beginner" Bike (though not by most members of this Forum Wink) and generally doesn't get any press from m/c trade publications, I can't help but wonder how it's "doing" for the Company?
'Zuki is already in bed with Kawi on the 1600 Mean Streak/Marauder models ... and as pointed out, has their SV650 & 1000 powerplants in several Hyosung models ... so it isn't inconceivable that any R&D and/or re-tooling req'd for a new 650cc model would be shared with either of the 2 aforementioned manufacturers ... right now, the Savage/S40's three closest compeditors in the Cruiser marketplace are Kawi's EN500 Vulcan, Honda's VLX600 and Yami's 650 V-Star siblings ... the Star(s) and the VLX being v-twins ... and all weigh more than the Savage, so power/weight ratio may actually less than the LS650's 33HP/352lbs (I have no idea of the figures for the other Bikes ... though I know that the EN500 is actually faster than many 750cc Cruisers ...).
So, all that being said, I too wouldn't be surprised if the eventual successor to our dear Thumper will be a v-twin ... possibly a joint effort (the Baby Vulcan is due for a replacement) ... and possibly either a direct compeditor for the 650 V-Star Classic or an entry-level "Power Cruiser" using the SV650 mill, similar to the Hyosung.
Personally, I'd like to see Suzuki maintain the unique "Big Single" ... just keep upgrading the current platform with an easier to remove tank and/or easier spark plug access, a bar mounted speedo with a trip-meter, and a fresher "Custom" styling ...

WWW   IP Logged
mrbusdriver
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/08/05 at 18:11:09

Hi all, Dave here, 03 Savage, lurker who finally joined the fold...
Got my (practically new) thumper about 6 months ago, and in this short time have become somehat "defensive" over the bike. So few even know what a Savage/S40 is, and with "bike inflation" it seems anything that isn't a V Twin 800 gets at best a polite nod as a possible starter bike. I always stress to folks the fact that the thumper is an inexpensive, simple, extremely fun bike.
So much of the Savage's future lies in marketing...it is the only major single piston "lightweight" cruiser around. When I was searching for that 1st bike, I was looking for a bike that would "last" and keep me entertained, while being easy to grow on, as well as inexpensive to own. The LS650 was the only choice based on everything I read from it's "real" owners.
It's Suzuki's call...the S40 isn't a high profit machine. They don't "push" it like their other bikes. But it is such a unique animal, and with some minor engineering tweaks to fix well known issues, this bike could be the ideal fun bike...it has a niche that the marketers haven't bothered to discover or exploit. I get so annoyed that so many think anything less that a Sportster isn't a bike...even that bike is gaining ground as a "girlie" bike...but that's another thread.
I'd love to see Suzi fix the well known issues on this bike, and begin to take their unique machine seriously. It is a wonderful ride to learn on, and can very obviously satisfy the owner long after the "training wheels" are off. It's user friendly, maintainable, and very ridable.
As my miles slowly build up, I am really getting to enjoy this ride...I am just frustrated at times that it is all but ignored by the community, and perhaps underappreciated by it's very manufacturer...at least here in the USA.
It's a great bike...fix the bugs and sell it for what it is, a wonderfully fun ride.
Love my bike, and am glad to finally "surface" among you all...good riding to all.
Dave

IP Logged
Desnick
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reno, NV
Reply #11 - 02/08/05 at 19:54:41

We probably all buy our Savage-S40s for different reasons. Myself , it reminds me of my Norton 500 single that I had as a teenager, some 40+ years ago. When I first laid my eyes on the S40, I said to myself, that bike I have to have. Its not my primary bike, but when it comes time for those shorter rides, its the one I hop on.
What a thrill to ride, quick and nimble. And when I not riding, its a great bike to tinker with, parts and accessaries are not as expensive like they are for my beemer.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 02/08/05 at 20:40:14

Dave,
I'm surely new to the LS650 - 2 weeks into it, but sure seems like a fine ride, so fine in fact, that I doubt it will continue much longer. Once you do the basics, make it breath better with a pipe (jardine on this one) and freeer flowing intake air (k&n su6595 today), richen it up to match the air flow (~2 turns out on the pilot mixture ->152.5 or 155 jet and a half spacer this weekend), get it happy with synthetic oil (no clutch slipage with 10w40 mobil 1 mx4t here - maybe 20w50 for summer or 1 of each 15w45?), pickup a Clymer M384-2 manual, you have a bike that with just routine maintenance will in all likely hood run many years and top 100k miles without much dealer involvement. Even a re-ring is fairly simple for a shadetree. I believe that companies want to make more than this on post sales parts and service, so in will come a multi cylinder, computerized, fuel injected replacement. Yes such engines make more power and get more from the gasoline they burn - like the new outboard 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines, all is good until the check engine light and alarm comes on, and then it's off to the dealer to find out what is wrong. I expect bikes to follow cars and boats - why not?
Gary

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 02/08/05 at 21:22:29

Cynical and insightful.

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #14 - 02/09/05 at 06:36:56

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Cynical and insightful.

Paladin, my friend...
I just do not understand that comment.... Undecided
I agree with most of the views expressed here, and I am centrainly surprised with the fact that this beautiful machine does not get as much attention from the general MC community nor from its manufacturer,   Shocked but as long as my thumper keeps thumping and I can find piston rings, spark plugs, filters and brake pads, and so on,  I'll probably not care what Suzi does to its line-up; I already have a Savage  Grin
I would certainly complain when Suzi stops making spare parts,  Angry  but again, piston rings and the other stuff may be aftermarket;  Wink I just need it to keep thumping  Grin
Take care,

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Next Generation Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.