Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
winter maintenance help (Read 5 times)
ddiego1@GMU.EDU

winter maintenance help
02/05/05 at 05:19:04

just two questions:

i changed my brake fluid and found that my brake is hard to pull in....i followed the bleeding instructions in the clymer.

i also found when trying to start the bike, my plug is oil fouled.....i believe this happened when i changed the leaking plug.  i didn't torque the bolts enough and some oil leaked through.  how do i get rid of the oil?.......i tried to start it this morning and didn't find any oil on the plug but just to be safe...

thanks all

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: winter maintenance help
Reply #1 - 02/05/05 at 12:23:42

About the oil on the plug- If the bike runs and everything is OK /compression, valve adjustment, carburetor , ignition/ ,and this is a correct spark plug , You don't have to do anything. When You ride the bike the spark plug will clean by itself.
About the brake problem- I don't follow You. May be somebody else will be more helpful

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #2 - 02/05/05 at 15:37:35

well....bout the brakes.

when I did the whole bleeding the brakes thing i did it till i had no air left in the hose.  but i noticed that pulling the brake lever in was very difficult and when i rolled the bike forward, the brake felt like it was being applied.  I ended up letting out some brake fluid and it made it easier to pull the brake in and also let my bike roll freely.  

i'll prob end up doing the bleeding again to see if i can get it right.  i don't know what i did wrong.  right now the brakes feel right but i'm sure i have air in there somewhere.....

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 02/06/05 at 05:15:35

RE Brakes; ???

Maybe there's too much brakefluid in the system. Try applying the brake with the brake reservoir cover off.

BTW Did you lubricate the 2 pins on which the caliper moves with silicon grease?

Keep us posted of what you find.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #4 - 02/06/05 at 05:39:24

i think u may be right about too much brake fluid.  i didn't know that was possible tho.  but i took a test ride around the block after taking out a bit of fluid and there doesnt seem to be any rubbing and my brakes feel softer.  

i had to replace the whole brake lever/mastercylinder assymbly cuz the previous owner had stripped the screws on top of the cylinder.  i ended up getting a cylinder for a flat-bar which made it fit alot better on mine cuz i changed my pull back bar to a drag bar.  

i need to reupholster my pillion seat.  anyone have any tips....or how difficul this job is?  

im not really sure about the two pins cuz i never disassembled the caliper.

thanks for the help

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 02/06/05 at 05:48:18

Glad you'r up and running.
Wise move to get the brakehandle of the flatbar, gives you more options ( flexability) for the brakeline. Got one too from Anderson.

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #6 - 02/06/05 at 08:59:38

I had the same brake problem on my klx250 dirt bike.  Lever hard to pull, front wheel dragging.  I figured I had a stuck caliper or too much fluid, turned out to be the latter.  Like you, I did not think it was possible to hydro-lock the brakes but I found out different. 

I removed the caliper and tried to compress the piston with a c-clamp, and it wouldn't budge.  I loosened the bleed screw, tightened the c-clamp to "burp" out some fluid, and that's all I had to do.  everything worked fine after that and the problem did not come back.  

Hope this helps.  Are you at GMU, ddiego1? What course of study?  I am one of the few GM engineers that did not go to GMU.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #7 - 02/06/05 at 09:29:10

nice...thanks for the tips

i'm an IT major in George Mason....

maybe we're talking about a different GMU....never really saw Mason as a big engineering school.

IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #8 - 02/06/05 at 10:43:22

ok.....one more question

i was out riding and i accelerated pretty quickly to 45mph then i stayed at 45 for a couple seconds then started braking.  I heard alot of backfiring then the engine stalled and i coasted to the side of the street.  

i put it in PRI and it took a couple times for it to start.  afterwards i went home.

this has happened to me before at 60 mph.  my question is....why is this happening?  I'm positive i have gas.  is this a sign that i may have water in my gas?

IP Logged
Blueshift

Reply #9 - 02/06/05 at 11:33:41

Just got a 95 Savage about two months ago (brand new rider) and I have similiar situation happened to me...I know it's not the gas cap vent clogging because I tried starting the bike with the gas cap off and that doesn't help.  I was thinking the problem maybe due to weak vacuum (how to check?) or stuck p-e-t-c-c-o-c-k diaphram.  What's weird is that after stopping by to get some more gas (there's still like 1/4 tank left, but what the heck...), the problem goes away and fuel valve 'on' position works again (for now).  It really worry me if this happen one of these day when I'm in the middle of heavy traffic like on the freeway, not that I'm doing that anytime soon, but still...

Ride safe or don't ride at all Wink

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 02/06/05 at 11:46:43

I had several problems with the vacuum operated petc0ck - It didn't always work in the "ON" position, giving problems like you describe, and finally the diaphragm started leaking fuel into the vacuum port on the carb.  

I am too cheap to go buy another petc0ck so I converted mine to manual operation, just like a dirt bike.  Vac ports are blocked off at the carb and at the petc0ck.  The "PRI" is now the "OFF" position.  Still have normal operaton in "ON" and "RES".  I had to figure it out myself but it's not that difficult, and if there's enough interest I will post some instructions/pics on the technical page.

Other than that, check the vacuum line for leaks from the carb to the petc0ck.  The best way to check vac is with a mightyvac (mityvac?) like they sell at a car parts place.  It allows you to pull a vacuum and hold it to see if it's leaking down in your hose,diaphragm, device, etc.  (Also is very handy if you work on cars, to check vac advance, egr, etc.)  

If fuel comes out when you pull the vac line off, you've got the leak that drove me over the edge to manual-zone.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Blueshift
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/06/05 at 11:58:24

I would love to know the details of your solution, that could be useful item to add the technical section, thanks Bobo383....FWIW, there's no fuel leak in my vacuum line and yes, there's vacuum I could feel with my finger.  I even put a clamp on the petc0ck side of it to make sure there's no vacuum leak...but the problem still persisted....gotta be something else.  I know I can ride around in 'PRI' but that doesn't give me any reserved.  Right now I am riding around with a small bottle of reserve gas strapping to the frame LOL...what a bandage.  Anyway, I installed one of the bicycle computer so that I can look at the 'Trip meter' to give a feel when I am about to run out of gas.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #12 - 02/06/05 at 13:49:20

You basically disassemble the entire pectc0ck, delete the vac diaphragm and springs, plug the hole in the plastic valve that corresponds to the "PRI" position, and re-assemble.  You'll need to cap the vacuum diaphragm at the petc0ck to keep fuel from running out, and cap it at the carb to maintain vacuum.

"PRI" is now off.  ON and RES will no longer switch off when the motor is off, so you'll have to remember to turn it off when you stop riding or you'll likely fill the crankcase and airbox with gasoline.

This is a modification to the bike, and some folks would rather just buy a new petc0ck so everthing remains stock.  No problem with that, I'm just cheap and already used to manual petc0cks from many years of dirt bikes and ATVs.

Next time I've got that part of the bike apart I'll make a photo documentary.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Blueshift
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/07/05 at 15:37:40

Thanks Bobo383...my question is, even without this mods, my petc0ck already have this on-off function.  So what's the gain here???  I must be dense today  Grin

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/07/05 at 15:57:18

Maybe you were lucky enough to get a bike that didn’t have the vacuum operated petcock. I would love to score one of those as I am not a fan of complicating a simplistic design. What year is your bike? Suzuki obviously felt that they couldn’t trust the operator to shut their own fuel off, so the designed a petcock that would eliminate the ability of the user to do so. In such a design, there is more inclination of mechanical failure. I am old school and like it the old way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:20:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › winter maintenance help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.