Send Topic Print
winter maintenance help (Read 5 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: winter maintenance help
Reply #30 - 02/15/05 at 17:03:02

Learn something every day.  So if the pads actually drag you would want to replace the O-rings, eh?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 02/18/05 at 11:37:23

ddiego1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
ok here we go again!

i bought that brake caliper.  everything is clean, i install it, and my brakes still drag!!!!.

i open up the caliper clean up the piston all nice.  the piston slides in and out of the assembly relatively easy.  its easier to push it in then out.

i try it again and my brakes still drag.  is my front wheel supposed to spin freely?  and its very difficult to pull the brake in all the way.  is the piston supposed to recede back into the caliper assembly when i let go of the brakes?

what am i doing wrong?

Can you tell if just one pad is rubbing hard on the rotor or is it both of them?

IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #32 - 02/18/05 at 17:17:10

hey i fixed it....well w/ a lil help from other sources.

ok......there are two holes in the master cylinder one the smaller one in there was blocked up with some residue.  

i cleared up the residue and everything was fixed....the pads still rub but its almost negligible.  and i was also told that there will be a small amount of rubbing.  does anyone notice that too?  when i have my front wheel off the ground and give it a lil spin it usually takes a few rotations before succumbing to the friction of the pads.  i was also able to ride a bit yesterday and my brakes didn't overheat as before(it actually started smoking and locked up).

so if anyone is changing their brake fluid or any brake parts and find the brakes seizing up or are very hard to pull in after a couple pumps check the tiny hole in the master cylinder (should be two).  this was actually a great learning experience for me and i found that my caliper was broken(the piece that was attached to my fork was split in half).  this is just one possible cause...it could also be messed up piston or piston seals

hopefully i'm done with maintenance until the end of the season Smiley  (note to self:  change oil before riding again)

thanks all and ride safe

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:21:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › winter maintenance help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.