slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: winter maintenance help
Reply #15 - 02/07/05 at 17:21:12

Yes,
I am 100% with You, but I think the reason is -if You lay the bike and the bike dies, the gas doesn't keep leaking.
This works in the perfect world, but with the ERA gas all the rubber parts become like plastic and the idea goes down the drain.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #16 - 02/07/05 at 17:28:57

Mine's a 98, originally with the vac operated misery whip but now converted to on/off/reserve.  

Blueshift, if your petc0ck has 3 positions:  "PRI", "RES", and "ON" then you've got it too.  That's what's giving you the occasional trouble that turning it to "PRI" fixes.

The vac operated petc0ck works like this:  

"PRI" is forced on, and pulls from the bottom (reserve) standpipe in the tank.  No vacuum is necessary because a little metal coil pushes the diaphragm valve back against its spring when the valve is turned to the "PRI" position, letting fuel flow no matter what.

"RES" and "ON" need vacuum to pull the diaphragm valve back against its spring and let fuel flow.

Brand new, this works really great.

It gets complicated when the machine ages and the diaphragm starts leaking, because ON and RES may or may not work, PRI works but does not give you any reserve warning, and there's no true OFF to keep from dumping fuel when the bike's off.  Fuel leaks thru the diaphragm and goes into the vac line, to the carb, and into the motor.

That's why I went manual with mine.

I'm bidding on the Suzuki parts pile on eBay to get a petc0ck for the forthcoming manual conversion documentary.  Then it will be up for sale.  Wish me luck.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #17 - 02/08/05 at 12:01:11

crap....well today i noticed my brakes were dragging again.  so i dissassembled the caliper and bled the fluid.  i compressed the piston too much and now i don't think i can get it out.  will i be buying a new caliper?  or is there a way to fix this....

when i compressed it i could see there is no room for fluid to come in behind the piston.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #18 - 02/08/05 at 19:02:41

Were you pressing it using the brake pad between the c-clamp and piston?  If so you're OK.  Re-assemble and everything will be fine.

Probably OK even if you weren't using the brake pad.  Try it with some hydraulic pressure from the brake line and see - or did you already try it?

Crud.  I lost the Savage parts pile on ebay.  Any of yall got a leaky defective vac petcock that you took off / replaced sitting around, you'd like to loan me for a manual conversion how-to documentary?  Mine's already converted and it's warm enough to ride here.  I'll send it back to you as a working manual petcock unit.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #19 - 02/09/05 at 05:18:06

yah....tried it already...
when i removed the brakeline from the caliper i could see the entire piston covering the other end of the hole.

Sad

i'm ddiego1....i coudln't remember my password

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #20 - 02/09/05 at 16:13:17

Try with compressed air. Just be very careful. Wrap everything in a rag.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaRe: winter maintenance help
Reply #21 - 02/09/05 at 16:27:57

It should come out even though the hole looks blocked.  The compressed air is a good idea if the fluid did not work.  Be sure to keep your improvised "airgun" pointed in a safe direction and wrapped up good.

It's been a while since I looked at the piston - is it hollow inside so you could put pliers together BACKWARDS and work it out from inside?

Worse comes to worse, there's a used caliper on ebay for $29 buy-it-now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4511364950...

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/09/05 at 16:36:12

When compressing the piston, Is it important to remove the cover for the master cylinder?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #23 - 02/09/05 at 18:37:55

I loosened the bleed screw instead.  You're right, the pressure has to go somewhere.  Smaller mess down by the ground, easier to clean fluid off the concrete than the bars & forks if you overflow.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #24 - 02/09/05 at 20:26:37

im just gonna by the caliper...it looks alot cleaner than mine.

i also just found a crack on the plate that attaches to the fork so i tried to see how weak it was and it broke.  so if i put it  back on i'd only have one bolt attaching the caliper to the fork....doh

well at least i found it before anything bad could happen.  

how accurate is the rear brake wear indicator?  It reads that i'm still good but should i check it anyway?  i love this bike!  its so easy to work on and theres lots of parts available!!.  this is my second bike...my first was a 250 nighthawk that i sold in 2 months(just not my style).

i'm going to repaint my tank and rear fender.  when i remove my rear wheel do i have to readjust anything when i put it back together....i don't want my belt to be misaligned.  I think this is all i'm goin to do before spring really starts.  we've been having pleasant weather here and im dying to ride but its also good maintenance weather.

anything else i should do while the weather is good?  
so far:
replaced leaking plug
changed to flat bar... no riser
painted side panels dark gray
removed sissy bar
painted exhaust hi temp flat black

thanks for all the advice

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #25 - 02/09/05 at 20:35:48

When I repainted mine and re-assembled, I tightened the belt too tight and it was howling.  Lots of discussion (me included) on the Tech board about adjusting the drive belt:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1100717793

As for the rear brake, if it's not making alot of noise, squeeling or grinding, and the wear indicator reads ok, it's probably ok.  If you're removing the rear wheel you will get a good look at the brake linings linings then.  Can't avoid it as the brake hub will come off as soon as the wheel clears the frame.  

I'd like to know how that flat black holds up on the exhaust, after a few months.  I like the look but I'm skeeered it will come off the chrome.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #26 - 02/10/05 at 17:30:37

the flat black is holding up pretty well so far.  my exhaust was extremely rusty underneath and i don't really feel like buying a new exhaust just yet.

i have an 87 savage...does that mean i have a bigger jet than the newer ones?  i'm just doing some low cost mods.

i'd like to buy an M50 in the future...but college drains my time and money.

IP Logged
ddiego1

Reply #27 - 02/15/05 at 12:11:20

ok here we go again!

i bought that brake caliper.  everything is clean, i install it, and my brakes still drag!!!!.

i open up the caliper clean up the piston all nice.  the piston slides in and out of the assembly relatively easy.  its easier to push it in then out.

i try it again and my brakes still drag.  is my front wheel supposed to spin freely?  and its very difficult to pull the brake in all the way.  is the piston supposed to recede back into the caliper assembly when i let go of the brakes?

what am i doing wrong?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 02/15/05 at 13:59:43

Disc brakes drag constantly, but without pressure there is no wear.  The hydraulics will move the pistons out to squeeze the rotor, but there is no mechanism to move the pistons back in.

WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #29 - 02/15/05 at 16:54:32

Paladin said >> but there is no mechanism to move the pistons back in. <<

Actually it is the job of the seal inside the caliper to pull the piston back in slightly. Under hydraulic pressure from the lever, the piston will be forced out and the O ring will be dragged to the extent of its elastic tension. On release of the lever, the hydraulic pressure is eliminated and the O ring relaxes,(returns to no tension) pulling the piston slightly inward to maintain clearance at the pads and disc.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:22:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › winter maintenance help