LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Not this forum's fault
02/02/05 at 08:41:59

The story related by REELTHING was very good reading and brought back lots of memories for me.  The details are completely different but the central character is still the Savage.
About 15 years ago, during extremely hard economic times for us, I sold my BSA Goldstar to make house payments and avoid forclosure.  In the years following I frequently lamented having to do it but when you gotta you gotta.  My son saw this as he grew up and we talked about some of the things that are required when you have a family.  I did not realize how much this touched him until years later.  There were times when he and I would stop at a bike shop and look at the new stuff, comparing our preferences...he liked the bullet bikes and I liked the cruisers and older styles.  That was when we found the Savage, during one of the window shopping trips.  It is quite different from a Goldstar, but it is a big single none-the-less.  He obviously recognized the way I reacted to it.  In 1999, after he had graduated from college and was GAINFULLY EMPLOYED,  we were driving into town and he started asking me what I wanted for FATHER'S DAY, which was only a few weeks away.  I mentioned some tools or something but he kept going back to the days when we used to talk about the Goldstar.  I was really enjoying the time with him, was not sure why he kept talking of the BSA when I was trying to tell him about the I wanted tools, but hey...we were having fun just being together.  After about 20 minutes or so he said that he had already bought my Father's Day gift....I am thinking, then why are you asking me what I want?  I'm clueless...am I stupid or what?  So then he says that it was supposed to be a suprise but he REALLY WANTS  tell me what the gift is, and wants to know if I want to know now or wait until when everyone is  together?  With the look that is on his face and the way he has said it I am totally curious and have a real need to know.  I mean, after this build up, you want me to wait 2  weeks until Father's Day gets here?  I DON'T THINK SO!  You should not have told me anything  until then.  So I tell him he needs to tell me now what is going on...if you have it already, then  what is it?   Now he says that his wife and his mother will kill him if he tells me early...they want to be part of the surprise too...well, too late for that boy.  He hesitates for a few seconds, and then tells me that he and his wife bought  me a motorcycle for Father's Day.  
I was dumbfounded.  I was so excited, but at the same time I kept asking him if this was a joke...are you sure?  You really bought a bike for me?  After about   five minutes my mind finally started working again and I began asking ....what kind?  what color?  what size?  Then he said  "Do you remember when we were looking in the bike shop, and you found the big single, and the look you had on your face when you sat on it?"  He had remembered that moment from several years before.   He wanted to do something for me as a thankyou for when I had given up something important for the family.   I've got to tell you, I got a lump in my throat and my eyes got a little wet.  It is a special thing when your child does something for you from their heart.  
So, that is how I got my Savage...it is very special to me, and will never be sold.

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Re: Not this forum's fault
Reply #1 - 02/02/05 at 08:54:58

Lancer,
You raised one good kid!  Excellent!

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #2 - 02/02/05 at 09:19:50

Wow. I think my eyes got a little misty from reading that.

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 02/02/05 at 12:18:59

Mine aren't misty -- I'm crying! That is an amazing story...  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 02/02/05 at 14:13:10

It takes more than that to make me cry.  

Grin

Cool story, though.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
howlit
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/05 at 04:38:29

Cool story (gave me a lump in my throat) and you have a awesome family.  8)

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/03/05 at 05:28:11

My eyes are watering too, and I don't think it is because of my allergies.   A very moving story,  Lancer - thanks for sharing it with us.

Now, I'm going to forward this thread to my college-senior son (hint, hint).  Smiley

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 02/03/05 at 06:53:50

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It takes more than that to make me cry...

You strong he-man. Uuhh.  Roll Eyes

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #8 - 02/03/05 at 10:14:38

Lancer,
your kid's is worth what he weighs in gold!!!!! That's what you call a great story.... Smiley
I just hope I can raise my boy to become half what you have yours.... BTW, is your kid a rider? do you ride together? If not, an extra helmet is a good birthday gift  Wink
keep riding

RW

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/03/05 at 12:56:17

My son is a rider, but unfortunately, at the present time he is without 2 wheeled transport.  He is a little busy right now with his current ride.....a KC-10 Tanker.  
He started his professional career 7 years ago, just out of college with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, working in the retail end of the business.   Began his first day with an $80K/yr salary  and within 2 years was just under $100K/yr  with an additional sign  on bonus of $15K to switch to another company.  (His taxes were almost more than I had ever made in salary in my life)  After  2 years in the retail business he was REALLY  fed up with how the job was going...very long hours...poor benefits (who would have thought?) REALLY NASTY CUSTOMERS  (the pharmasist gets yelled at when the customer thinks their insurance company does not pay as much as they think it should...this happens daily) along with a few other things.   So he decides to make a career move.  He had always wanted to fly so after a couple of monthsof  interviews, tests, etc., he joins the Air Force.   TALK ABOUT A PAY CUT!  After 3 months of Officer Candidate School, he is commissioned a 2nd Lt with a salary of $28K...and his wife went along with him?!! (She did say that she missed his paychecks at Christmas time when she wanted to go shopping for presents).  He then goes to flight school and ends up being assigned to fly the KC-10 Tanker.  That sucker is a HUGE plane.  Anyway, he LOVES what he is doing...AND  THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.  
So, technically, he does have a ride, it's just that this ride is a really huge 18 wheeler that carries 350,000 lbs of fuel and can fly half way around the world non-stop.  All in all, not too bad.
He has a 3 yr old son, 1.5 yr old girl, and another son ready to hatch in about 4 weeks.  He is a good son, a good father, and likes his life.
His current fun project is an 80% complete 1968 Fairlane.  When that is done he plans to go for a 2 wheel project.  He is stationed in NJ, so even if he had a bike we would not be able to ride together.  So hopefully, by the time they get back to the SC area he will have a bike and then WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER.
My youngest daughter is a US MARINE (she is returning next week after 8 months overseas in the dangerous part of the world), married to a US MARINE (he is in flight school down in Pensacola...helicopter pilot), and both of them are riders as well....sshhh....they ride BMW's....don't tell anyone...but we still love them anyway.
So that is a little snapshot of part of my life.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 02/03/05 at 14:57:48

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
My son ....$100K/yr  ... REALLY  fed up .... long hours...poor benefits ... NASTY CUSTOMERS ....

...he joins the Air Force.   TALK ABOUT A PAY CUT!  ...$28K... he LOVES what he is doing...AND  THAT IS WHAT COUNTS. 

Say it loud, say it often, say it to any youth that will listen.  If you love what you are doing it is not WORK.

As if you didn't already know -- you did good raising 'em.

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #11 - 02/03/05 at 17:49:48

Quote:
Anyway, he LOVES what he is doing...AND  THAT IS WHAT COUNTS.  

He's a lucky guy.  And bless him for serving our country.  Tell him I said, "Thank you."

(Still not crying).

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/04/05 at 19:11:06

I salute him.  If this country had more kids like yours, I'd feel a lot better.Tell him to be careful.  Those people in Iraq are crazy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 02/04/05 at 20:01:05

Give'um a strong handshake and tell all of them - Well Done - our hats off to them, none of those jobs are easy. Tell them thank you.

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #14 - 02/06/05 at 04:27:10

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

(Still not crying).

Now we know......... Gitarzan is not human.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not this forum's fault

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.