Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
This forums fault part 2
02/01/05 at 07:51:51

… well the bike just sat there quite happy running at a fast idle as I circled it trying to size it up looking at this and that. I had ask the salesman a couple of hours ago how long the drive belts would last, he told me maybe 40k miles what they had seen mostly was the pulleys wear out first but you need to look for cracks and replace it after you see several or any teeth starting to chip, if there was anything wrong with this belt I sure couldn’t see it. In fact I couldn’t find much of anything wrong – small crack in the top of the back rest, a little bit of paint chipped off the frame, but not a scratch or dent in the tank or fenders, both mirrors have a little of the reflective flaking off on the inside but that was about it. This took a couple of minutes and the owner shoved the choke in , the engine slow down to a rhythmic thump, thump, thump. Took a penny out of my pocket stuck it in the center of both tires – the depth was to the middle of Lincolns forehead and I couldn’t find any age cracks in the sidewalls so the these seemed to have a good number of miles let in them. Now I’ve got to find more wrong with this bike than what I’m seeing the thing is 10 years old and how else can I go to work on knocking this guy down on the price! I looked back at my wife in the truck and she’s watching me with a rather blank expression… wonder what that means... anyway the big single is just thumping away and I’m starting to hear some rattles. The guy tells me he has had the bike since ’03 and is only selling it because he had bought another and nods toward the garage, where is setting either a new or close to it HD fatboy, good I’m hearing some rattles and he’s picked up some new debt now maybe we can work on the price. So I casually say something about great looking HD , but they’re kind of proud of them aren’t they and man what are those rattles, will you take $1600 for it? And I looked back at the truck, my wife now has the window down and I believe I saw her roll her eyes… he walks around to the left side and puts his foot on the highway peg and one finger on the mirror, all the rattles stop. No he says but he’d take $1800 and shouldn’t I ride it first? Oh yeah I forgot about that as my poker face slides away and smile replaces it – I know I saw this time – she rolled her eyes…. Well there was a bit of a wet gravel road that led up to this guys drive way and I figure it might not be real smart for me to heard this bike down it until I’ve tried it a bit on the pavement – so ask asked him if it shifts well and the clutch works proper, he tells me it rides and works as good as it looks – ok DEAL $1800 it is, we shake on it, and I tell him I’ll go round up a helmet , some cash, warmer clothes, and headed to the truck.  So I asked my better half what kind of look was that she gave me and I guess I’d take the bike. Well, she laughed and said she knew I was going to buy it before I got out of the truck and while I talked smooth to the guy it was all the stroking my beard and fidgeting around I was doing that had her convinced I was, in all likelihood, going to wet myself if I didn’t close the deal shortly and I had about another 5 minutes before she got out, gave the guy the $2000 he wanted in the first place so we could get on with it. Dang it’s hard to be cool. But now I understood the looks, told her thanks and could she stop laughing.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: This forums fault part 2
Reply #1 - 02/01/05 at 07:53:06

We headed toward to the house, bank and Honda deal on the way to pickup a helmet as I figured the old junk around the house wouldn’t do being beat up and 30 years old, a sigh of course. We walked in the dealership and started sorting through the gear – I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a $500 helmet and most looked like costume parts from Starwars or the Ultraman cartoon – but I settled up on normal looking black HJC with air vents and a snell rating. Stopped by the house, packed on a few more clothes and picked up some gloves as it was still hanging around 45-50 outside, swung by the bank, and headed back. We went inside to do the paper work and I tried the $1600 offer again and my wife said NO on his behalf. Told the guy the gravel made me a bit nervous and he agreed to ride out to the pavement. Where I took over. Checked the gas was about half looked like, pulled in the clutch hit the start button and it fired up. There’s a good size parking lot just up the street for a soccer field that I headed for to ride around a bit and get a little bit use to it , only took about 2 minutes for me to conclude this was the most comfortable bike I had ever ridden – it may not smoke the back tire and pull a wheelie when you shift it like the old RD350 but I think I’ve out grown that and you really don’t ride bikes like that you just do your best to hang on and hit gears before the engine blows. I messed around about 20 minutes there and headed to the house. The front brake squealed a little – time for pads I guess. Shut it off in the drive and had to admire it for awhile – fine ride. Checked the oil through the site glass finally, that should have been a little higher on the list, the level was aok but it was black to be sure, change that out Sunday with mobil1/mx4t/10w-40 and if the clutch slips I guess I’ll go back to regular oil – hope not. I put about 50 miles on it and sure can’t feel any slippage – but I’m not riding it very hard to be sure.

So anyway it’s bound to be this forums fault what with all the excellent technical specs, tips and tricks that made this ’95 Savage follow me home.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 02/01/05 at 09:43:48

Nice story, thanks for sharing it.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #3 - 02/01/05 at 10:19:27

Longest paragraph in history?  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/01/05 at 10:39:48

Nice story, congratulations and welcome to the community!

Oh, and you may want to consider 15W50 instead of 10W40.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/01/05 at 11:11:32

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Nice story, congratulations and welcome to the community!

Oh, and you may want to consider 15W50 instead of 10W40.

Agreed... should take care of it...

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 02/01/05 at 11:37:50

It IS a fun read.  Welcome to the Forum.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 02/01/05 at 13:18:14

8)Wow ... well written! I was there with ya as you sized up the Savage, bought it and took your first Ride ... brought me back to the excitement of 2 years ago when I picked up my '03 ... Thanks a million!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Michael

Reply #8 - 02/01/05 at 14:15:46

Great story, but did anyone else go crosseyed moving the screen from side to side?         Roll Eyes

cheers......Michael   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 02/01/05 at 16:44:18

I think that was cphilip's fault with those links.  Could find out if he would hide them.

Instead of {url}nasty long url{/url}
Try {url=nasty long url}NameTheLink{/url}

(replace the curlys with squares)

WWW   IP Logged
howlit
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/02/05 at 04:08:13

Definitely a great read.  Enjoyed every moment of it, especially the eye rolling parts.   Grin

Welcome to the forum!

Tim

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/02/05 at 04:57:34

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I think that was cphilip's fault with those links.  Could find out if he would hide them.

Instead of {url}nasty long url{/url}
Try {url=nasty long url}NameTheLink{/url}

(replace the curlys with squares)

I tried to hide it Paladin... hence the several edits you see documented. It would not take for some odd reason... must be something about the particular html or something.

I will just remove it.

Added on edit: nope... still will not bracket and shorten. I just removed it. It was annoying the thread.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 02/02/05 at 12:30:08

Thank you for sharing. It is a wonderful story and it sounds like you have a very cool wife!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/03/05 at 19:28:12

I feel your pain, brother....I was making payment arrangements on the phone before I ever actually saw the bike.  I just knew I wanted a silver/blue Savage.  There was one in Waco, and one in Mesquite.  Same price, but Mesquite was closer, so Action Suzuki won the toss.  I called them, spoke to the dealer, found out about mileage, accessories, and if there was any damage(there wasn't).  I made an offer over the phone and picked it up the next morning. Been happy ever since.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 02/03/05 at 20:21:39

Last weekend was sure a blast - then the rain set in but that gave me enough time to pull the front brake apart - it turns out the pads didn't show much wear but so far as I could tell had been installed with out anything on the back, no sticky spray junk or grease, also looked to be very high metal content - anyway  popped in the EBC organic -much better - may not last as long but when you grab them they flat work.

Had the sun out today about 55f and put a few more miles on it, the backfires are rare now with the mixture set to 1 3/4 turn out - seems it was about 1 turnout when I got it.

Thanks Folks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › This forums fault part 2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.