another bike (Read 4 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
another bike
01/31/05 at 08:58:20

i have develped a problem.

my 17 year old daughter is needing a vehicle to get to and from college next year. my first thought is to get either a moped or a gz250.
the mopeds all seem extremely expensive, though.
my reasoning is that if i get her a car there is no way i can make sure she doesn't get out of hand and go partying, speeding, etc.
but i know the 250 won't do highway and mopeds only go 35 at the most.
her trip to school will be 10 miles one way through a town a bit larger than ours.

all advice is eagerly looked forward to.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: another bike
Reply #1 - 01/31/05 at 08:59:30

ok. i'm not really concerned about her partying. i am concerned about her giving other people rides in a car however...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/05 at 09:11:00

Some colleges have special close up parking for motorcycles and bicycles. That can be an advantage.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/31/05 at 09:33:15

My thought is your daughter would likely prefer a traditional motorcycle as opposed to a moped. In some circles a moped has an unfavourable stygma attached.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/05 at 10:00:43

If your not concerned about staying under the moped classification (most states 50cc restricted to 30MPH).... no title no tag thing...I would consider a motorcycle class Scooter.

Something reliable like a Yamaha Vino 125. Or even a Zuma even with a upkit. These things can get mighty fast, easy to operate as they are automatic and most popular on Campus.  If its reliable and cheap campus transportation you want.... thats the idea. Stay completely AWAY from the cheapo imports from China. They are junk. Get a good Yamaha, Kimko. Twist and Go brand or even Piaggio Vespa one. Honda even but not their Moped class one as its 4 stroke and not upgradable. Too slow.

If you would like to stay under the Moped class get the Vino or Zuma 50cc and deristrict and upkit it. Easy to do with some rollers and belts and a top end. Even the Vespa ET2 can be done this way but its pricey. You cannot do much to a 4 stroke so stay away from them if you cannot live with 30 MPH.

But if its for a kid on Campus... this is the route to go. Scooter...

Lets make sure we are on the same page.... a Scooter is not a Moped in actuality unless by law its under 50cc and its speed is restricted to 30MPH or less... and even then its a missuse of the term to call it a Moped but by law it fits. For some reason State DOTs all over the country decided to use the term inclusively when Scooter and Motorcycle style bikes came into popularity when they regulated them. So many of them dropped the requirements of Pedals and included the other styles under the same terminology. However errant that was. Lately some of them are startying to change that as its misleading. They are now calling them "Deregulated Motorized Vehicles" in some places. ANY motorcycle that is under 50cc and restricted to under 30MPH is called a Moped under most states laws right now. No matter what style it is. It can be Bicycle like (real Moped), Scooter like (a style of motorcycle with a legshield and step through middel) or a Motorcycle like looking bike.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #5 - 01/31/05 at 10:04:10

Scooters actually have a cult following.
And they ~are~ fun.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 01/31/05 at 10:04:25

Sunny, when I first read your subject line ( Another bike) I thought maybe you were cheating on your Savage.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/31/05 at 10:10:15

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Scooters actually have a cult following.
And they ~are~ fun.

This is especialy true lately on Campus. They are big. And hawt!

They have always attracted an anti social immage from way back. Rockers and Mods wars and all that. Sort of a beatnik mentality. But lately most of the kids on Campus have gotten away from what most enthusiasts were into and that was fast manualy shifted scooters. Now the kids want automatics, plastic and cute. So... they got em. And its all good. Us older scooter people still like our Motorcycles and Scooters manual and all metal baby!

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #8 - 01/31/05 at 12:37:20

The very first MC (whatever) I ever rode was a old Honda 50 about 1967.  I still don't think I've ever had as much fun on a bike as that afternoon.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 01/31/05 at 13:25:41

1.Stay away from anything made in China.
  2. May be it will be good to ask Your dauther what does She preffer.
  3.About scooters- even Vino becimes a lot of fun after You remove the restrictor in the exhaust. Hondas between 125 and 250 are good. Yamaha Riva 125 has plenty of power. I'll not go into the newer scooters , because they are ungodlyy expencive.
  3. About the bikes- Rebel 250, Night hawk 250 , Virago 250 and 535. I am not a GZ250 fan, but may be it is just me.
Good luck !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #10 - 01/31/05 at 14:26:25

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Sunny, when I first read your subject line ( Another bike) I thought maybe you were cheating on your Savage.

cheat on jack? NEVER!

the girl would really like a scooter, but when i see the prices...
ack!

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 01/31/05 at 14:42:11

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
i have develped a problem.

my 17 year old daughter is needing a vehicle to get to and from college next year. my first thought is to get either a moped or a gz250.....

I would not wish a MoPed upon my worst enemy.  You NEED to be able to out-run traffic in order to keep up with traffic -- a 125cc minimum.

Looking to keep the price down while not buying someone else's problems (buy new), I would offer the choice of:

A small cruiser, the Kawasaki Eliminator 125, $2600, 291 pounds.  

A scooter, The  Yamaha Vino 125, $2500, 229 pounds dry.

The scooter has the more civilized image, automatic transmission, better wind and road yuck protection, and a dignified mounting.

The Cruiser is a manual transmission, the rebel image, and requires an unladylike swinging the leg over to mount.

So is the daughter a Mod or a Rocker?

(Other choices, Honda 250 Rebel or Nighthawk, Honda 80cc or 250cc scooters, the Savage's little 250cc brother, and the Yamaha Virago V-Twin.  And if she has no class whatsoever, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 is only $3000 and 304 pounds dry.)

WWW   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #12 - 01/31/05 at 14:54:16

she's a rocker.

i was looking at the honda ruckus but it's small in the cc department.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/31/05 at 15:33:38

Don't get the ruckus as its a 4 stroke and there is not much tuning you can do.

Don't be afraid of a used Jap built scooter. They tough as nails. Go over to the International Scooterist BBS to their "new scooter forum". Thats where the automatic scooter peeps hang out. You might find a good deal. Also might want to watch the classifieds here http://scoot.net/

Some to look at... A company called Twist and Go.... basicaly a Yamaha Vino...  Mugalati and Kimco.  But if you want a 50cc scooter that can be made to get up to 50-55 you need a 2 stroke. Easy to kit and upgrade for like a few hundered bucks...

I "might" have a mint Virago 250 for sale.... I say might.  A tad over 300 miles on it. Where are you located? If your close to Austin I got some scooter contacts in that area.... but this Virago might be as low as 2 grand for it. I said mint right?  Shocked

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #14 - 01/31/05 at 15:44:49

i'm 35 miles due south of fort worth.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4